The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

bigdaz1970

Aug 25, 2012
hi all heres what im looking for so any help please
would like a 10" screen but if it as to be smaller so be it , needs to have gps - fm transmitter - bluetooth,
i drive a truck so would likle to be able to watch films on it also , can just leave my laptop at home then,

cheers all

Aug 21, 2012
H guys iam looking for a media tablet, the main musts are Tegra 2 or higher (for games, must have usb and sd slot, can be micro as long as memory can be upgraded and a usb hard drive can be used. Also hdmi is a bonus. My budget is £300 but cheaper will be nicer. Also the the 4.0 woould be nice, or at least manufacturers support for upgrading to 4.0 or above. Thanks for any help guys.

Wedwed

Aug 28, 2012
Help, please! I'm new to this forum but hope to find a quick answer to my dilema.
I have a Velocity Cruz T408 which has Android 2.3. A Velociy tech said that it's upgradable to 4.0 or later but I have to root it first. I downloaded (via USB connected to the PC but directly from the tablet browser-as I've seen done in a YouTube video) several free rooting apps about which I learned from the forum But none of them would install. What am I doing wrong?

babycakes624

Aug 30, 2012
I am going to be purchasing my first tablet and i am so overwhelmed by how many tablets are out there so im hoping this will solve my problems
what im looking for
screen 7' to 10'' towards the bigger preferbly, mainly used for reading books,comics,manga so able to read all formats epub,cbz, etc, also want to use for android market games such as angry birds and such, light web surfing use, and also looking for it to have a usb port, atleast 8gb and fairly good battery life since i will be using away from home alot. looking to spend less then $300 but willing to go to $500 if really needed any help is appreciated!!

androiderr

Aug 31, 2012
i'm about to buy a tablet.but i'm looking for a tablet with calling facility,sim card slot.can you please help me with, which tablet will be good for me??

NoelR

Sep 1, 2012
Hi, I'm looking into buying my first tablet. The specs I'm looking for are,

7'
Android 4.0 or higher
1 GHz processor
1GB Ram

I'm mainly going to be using it for browsing the internet, reading online atricles, checking mail etc, maybe playing a few games, taking it with me on holiday. My budget is £150 but might be convinced to part with £200.

I would like to be able to browse on the go aswell, like on the bus to work. What is the deal with 3G? Do I have to by a plan from a network? I have a HTC Wildfire, would it be better to tether it to that?

Thanks in advance.

RoxyRose

Sep 1, 2012
Does the following tablet exist?
Android 4 or can be updated to it.
Dual Core
8-10in
1gb ram/8-16gb memory
card slot
Internal:
BT
GPS
3G
Wifi

Multitouch 3-5 points
High Res 1024x768 (IPS prefered)
Camera better than 2MP (possibly with flash)
Speaker(s)
HDMI Out
Standard USB OTG etc
6hr Runtime or better
G-Sensor
Possibly normal size USB jack instead of mini/micro?
Slim as it can be.
Rootable
In black.

Application: I want a well rounded versatile unit that can play videos, games, surf the web, and really do anything I throw at it. That's where the dual core comes in handy.

I am planning on getting a Ram W13 pro. But it is lacking bluetooth, gps, IPS, and 3G. But it is near perfect in my opinion.

I see chinese makers make something similar:
New 10.1'' Sgs Original Screen Vc0882 1ghz Google Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread Tablet Pc Sim 3g Bluetooth Gps Hdmi Wifi - Buy Gingerbread Tablet,Tablet Pc Internal 3g,Tablet Sim 3g Bluetooth Gps Hdmi Product on Alibaba.com

Including this one that is soooo close:
New!! 7 Inch Ips Screen Gsm 3g Android Tablet Bluetooth Gps - Buy Android Tablet Bluetooth Gps,Tablet Sim 3g Bluetooth Gps,Tablet Pc 3g Gps Product on Alibaba.com
but is too small and doesn't have HDMI out (edit does it have hdmi, it mentions it on the bootom)

As to my experience with Android, I have loaded Android on the Touch Pro 2 before, so that should give you an inclination of my skillset.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

shadowflare

May 5, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking for a tablet that has the following specs:

- Screen: It doesn't really matter
- Good USB OTG support ( to connect keyboard, usb stick and occasionally external hard drive. If the tablet has USB OTG support without the need of an adapter it would be better )
- HDMI-out
- Android ICS
- Screen with good colors and good response to touch commands

Which would be the best and with the lowest cost?

Last edited:

hardworker73

Aug 22, 2012
Is there a Chinese knock of version of a Nexus 7 or better? I saw a Onda that didn't look bad for the money but wonder about rooting and compatibility.

Last edited:

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
I'm pretty new to android & a complete novice as far as tablets are concerned.
I've read plenty of threads here & done some shopping research, but the more I read the more confused I become.. can people narrow down the tablets I should be looking at based on what I've said above.
I don't really want anything bigger than a 10" & do need expandable (Sd card) memory functionality also brands are not really important to me so should I be looking at some of the lesser known/chinese brands as some seem to be much better value in terms of the spec you are getting for your money
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

needadvice

Sep 8, 2012
Hi,

Could someone please recommend some tablets, and I'd also like to see the pros and cons that are not in the spec if any. I have been checking Mcpad N101 and Cube U30GT, are there better tablets than those for $250-$320?

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Must-have features:
HDMI out
1080p video playback
IPS capacitive multi-touch screen
Android 4.x
Google Play
Minimum resolution 1280x800
At least one built-in camera

Main use: playing videos using HDMI out (connect to hotel TVs when on holiday), browsing Internet, checking maps (GPS optional), occasionally writing emails, I won't play games on it.

2) how much you are willing to spend

Ideally $250-$320, but also happy to see $320-$400 recommendations in addition to <$320 ones
Willing to pay $50 more for one with a built-in GPS

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

9 to 11 inches

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I'm computer literate and own an android phone, I rooted my phone and flashed a custom ROM

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

England, UK

Separate question: how much better are tablets made by well-known brands (ASUS, Acer etc) than those made by lesser-known Chinese brands (Ainol, Cube and Pipo etc)

Last edited:

dchicks

Sep 8, 2012
Hi,

Great thread. I've been searching through it to see if I could find suggestions that would meet my own needs, but it seems not.

I'm interested in something in the 7 to 10 inch range - probably 7, though. It should be small enough to be easily portable in one hand. I hope to find something with a stylus and the right apps that can allow me to take notes that become converted into text. I plan to use the tablet at work to take notes at meetings, keep track of my work status, and keep to-do lists and such. I find entering text through on-screen keyboards to be tedious and slow. I don't care about 3G or 4G, but WiFi would be nice. The rest of the specs are mostly unimportant to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
dchicks said:
Hi,

Great thread. I've been searching through it to see if I could find suggestions that would meet my own needs, but it seems not.

I'm interested in something in the 7 to 10 inch range - probably 7, though. It should be small enough to be easily portable in one hand. I hope to find something with a stylus and the right apps that can allow me to take notes that become converted into text. I plan to use the tablet at work to take notes at meetings, keep track of my work status, and keep to-do lists and such. I find entering text through on-screen keyboards to be tedious and slow. I don't care about 3G or 4G, but WiFi would be nice. The rest of the specs are mostly unimportant to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Really your only choice, if you really need handwriting recognition that actually works, is the Galaxy Note 10.1
Wacom digitizer coupled with effective software makes this work. Keep in mind it is also Samsungs flagship tablet and is not cheap.

KnottyPanda

Feb 4, 2012
Unfortunately, I killed my Le Pan I a few months ago. I loved it, but really it was just a bit too big for me. Since then, I've gotten a Samsung Galaxy S III phone and am loving it, but it's just a bit too small for some things, so I'd like something in between the two.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I will be using it at home when I am away from my computer. I need the Kindle App available. I'd prefer Google Play. I am in need of a mic as I Viggle. I would prefer to just have WI-FI as we don't even have 3g in my area so it would be useless. I'd like flash, and to be able to watch netflix, on demand, and youtube. Maybe a bit of Facebook, too. Since I got my GS3, I would prefer ICS OS as well or something upgradeable to that.

2) how much you are willing to spend
$50!!!! haha! I'd love to keep it as low as possible, under $150 if I can.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Since the 9.7" LePan was too big for me, I'm thinking 7" would be preferable.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I am not a techy, I cannot root things or do other hacking type actions, but I do know a bit about PCs.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Michigan, US (it is listed in my profile, by the way) ;)

Thank you for this thread. I am completely exhausted, bewildered, and ready to give up trying to find a decent cheaper tablet.