Nov 9, 2011
Hello

I need a tablet for:
1) Surfing on web, to read and playing chess
2) See movies and files in mkv and all the existing codec available

Size doesn't matter
I don't know android but i am fairly pc litered
want to spend no more that 300-350$

I am considering ipad (but someone told me it doesn't read mkv) galaxy and amazon kindle.

Thank you

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
I'm looking for an Android Tablet. I'm on my third android phone by now and have been doing a fair share of rooting, flashing radios, recoveries, roms and stuff. Now I'd like to get me tablet as well.

What I want
- 7 Inch capacitive (large screen but still pocketable, 8 inch might be OK as well)
- Speed (at least 512mb of RAM, good cpu/gpu)
- Rootable, having Cyanogenmod is a plus
- Full market access
- Wifi (so I can use my phone as a portable hotspot)

Nice to have:
- USB host (so I can plug in a USB keyboard)
- Update to Honeycomb (Probably not going to happen)
- resolution bigger then 800*480
- Good battery

What I don't need (leaving these out might reduce the price):
- GPS
- GSM
- Camera

What I'm going to use it for:
- Moviewatching
- Ebooks
- Webbrowsing
- Games (especially Shadow Era)

Price range: $220,- or lower

I've been looking at:
- X10 Airpad
- Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
- Renesas RENA3 Opad Dual-Core
- Icarus Bluefire G2
- Archos 70 Internet Tablet

I'm not living in the US, so stuff like the Kindle Fire isn't an option.
Are any of these recommended, or did I miss the best choice?

Don't know if you've considered it, but the Coby Kyros 7022 I've ordered fits what you're looking for. $160 at Toys R Us. Check it out and have a good 'un!

Kernal

Nov 10, 2011
Hi All,

I'm considering a tablet to replace an ancient (5.5+ year old) laptop of mine.

What I will use it for:
Entertainment:
-Games
-Movies
-Browsing/email
Text Editing (with external keyboard):
-LaTeX documents (preferably compiling it on-device, though VerbTeX may work)
-via SSH

What I want (Basically a laptop replacement):
10" beautiful screen (multitouch, but I assume everything has that capability these days)
Bluetooth, WiFi connectivity
Smooth, fast operation. My computer patience is rapidly decreasing.
Rootable
Front Camera for Skype, etc

What I don't need:
Cellular (3G, 4G, etc) coverage
Rear Camera
GPS

Price Range:
Around $400. Lower is better, of course; higher is possible (have been looking at the Transformer Prime).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,
Kernal

JimRyan

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks in advance for advice. I'm a Java developer, very new to Android. My customer wants an Android tablet (or Android tablet based system) for his car onto which I will program and load a special app for the vehicle (the app will be always running engine/system diagnostics on the vehicle. It's a custom vehicle.) I'm not sure whether we need Android 2 or 3 because I'm not familiar enough with Android yet. My customer wants a solid tablet. Apps have to be solid, performance good. Cost isn't too much of an obstacle. Customer has seen a JVC car infotainment system and said "I want that!" but I reminded him he needs the custom Android app I'm about to write, not just an infotainment center. So, this is where we are. Needs:

GPS app that's good
XM and regular radio
Bluetooth
Solidity: no wobbly, buggy experience in the apps or OS, or customer will ditch the Android idea altogether.

Also: sunlight readable screen (Car is a convertible. Probably have to get this glass expensively custom-installed in the tablet after purchase, I guess, but if already exists ready to buy, that would be great)

I've seen Bybyte's Car-droid system. That's something like what I'm looking for. It has Android 2.1. Not sure if that is too old a version. Just getting up to speed on Android now....

Any help appreciated. I'm not a gadget guy. My world is Java code. So, I'm a bit at sea here. Thanks!

jhughes3155

Nov 11, 2011
Ok, I'm looking for an inexpensive tablet to buy 2 of for my 5 & 7 year old boys. Here's what it HAS to have:
*camera
*speakers
*7" screen
*capacitve screen (I'm worried about them scratching up a resistive screen, pushing too hard)
*android 2.0 or higher
*at least 800mhz processor, but prefer 1ghz

I'd love it to be under $100, but I'd be willing to spend slightly more for the right product. They will mostly be playing apps and listening to some music, no streaming videos or anything. Was going to buy them used iPod Touches, but when I saw you could get android tablets brand new for half the price I was going to pay for a USED iPod, I was thrilled!! Thanks in advance for any help...I know I'm asking for a lot!

Oh, and I am not worried about brand as long as their is a warranty/return policy in place, but I would prefer to order from the US, just for shipping time.

Zestypanda

Nov 12, 2011
Hello, I am new to the forums but I am not new to android, so let me first start off that I love droid blah blah I know you guys hear this all the time, my question is I am looking for a Advent Vega, problem is that they seem to be only available in the UK, and with the British pounds to US dollars being a pain, and since amazon is not carrying the product, yet I see people from the states reviewing these, how do I obtain one of these tablets? I do not want to pay 400 pounds, which s equivalent to about $800 which is unfair, I have seen this tablet listed in the sub $300 list on websites yet I have yet to find an American sell or or even a proper US price that is in fact under $300 even after conversion. So, if you could help guys it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

robjrock

Mar 29, 2011
Hey guys,
I got a bit of an unusual set of requirements here:

I want an Android tablet with two main priorities -

Very good sound quality - as it will become my main home stereo audio source.

Very good screen - as it will be used often to read e-books via Android kindle app.

Basically I'm open to suggestions. My idea price is about $300 but I could be dreaming...

Zestypanda

Nov 12, 2011
Now, did you also factor in the viewing angle? Some tablets have a really good screen but the viewing angle leaves much to be desired, unless you are looking at the screen dead on they will sometimes have an almost polarized effect to the image.

Zestypanda

Nov 12, 2011
Oops, I hope I did not break forum etiquette.
Here is the sorta wishlist I have, my top price is $400

1) I will be looking for a tablet that can Play games, Surf the net, Watch videos and go on youtube, and skype call (audio only).
2) I am willing to spend max $400
3) Not to be rude but I am looking for a tablet that is at least 10 inches.
4) I an not android ignorant, I know root and update ROMS ect.
5) I an in the greater sandiego area (US or course, lol)

I have changed my sights to the Coby Kyros 10.1" Tablet with Android 2.3

Zestypanda

Nov 12, 2011
Okay, I am really lost now guys, I want something like the advent vga, but with the camera quality and price as the kryos.

quilt938

Nov 14, 2011
I'm new to this forum as well as tablets. I've heard of the ipad and recently I was thinking about adding a Kindle and see they have a Kindle Fire and someone on another forum(book related) said it was a tablet. I got to thinking that might be neat to carry around for internet use. I copied the tips from the first post so I wouldn't forget what I need to say. I'm not too savvy on computer/electronics and really don't want to be - just want to know what to do and how to do it. in #1 I don't even know what a g-sensor is or what I'd need aps for...

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps. I would like to use the tablet for ebook reading - like amazon and possibly B&N and be able to download books from my library's overdrive and this requires something from Sony/adobe I think. I'd also like to download some games such as Hoyle and rummi that I bought online or would buy online. I have a Clear hotspot but would consider something else provided I could use it for my home computer as well. I would probably need Adobe Flash but not sure but figure better safe than sorry. I hadn't thought about GPS but hey that sounds pretty neat-o too for trips. If I can't get all this I'd like to know if the Kindle Fire would allow net surfing/downloads using the hotspot I have or if there's one built in and if there is what it costs to use.

2) how much you are willing to spend - the Kindle Fire I think is $199 and I'm willing to spend that but probably $300 is my limit unless there's a super bargain I can justify spending more for.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be. I'd like big enough to see - not cell phone size - I've seen the B&N Nook and that seems ok but not sure what size that was - I've seens ome advertised at Fry's that are 8 and 10 inches seems like - one was under $100 and the other was under $200.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate - all Iknow about android is that it isn't from the ipod company and everyone keeps talking abouts apps when they talk about their android phones. I thought I was computer literate but it's pretty much left me in the dust the past 10 years or so. I did manage - with some help- to download ebooks from the library and transfer them to my Sony ereader I'm proud to say.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) Houston Texas area