The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

discglfr

Nov 14, 2011
Today I received an offer via a reputable website which directed me to a 'deal' on a 4GB Coby Kyros MID-7120-4G 7-Inch Android Tablet with Accessories. It's for $119 which seems mildly competitive to what I could find it for without this 'deal' but either way, it has peaked my interest.

Here is what I am looking for:

1) I don't need it to do anything major as it is an introductory tablet that I will primarily use for browsing, video on planes, eBook reading, and lots of Words with Friends playing.

2) The list price is normally $199 but it is $112 on this site. However, it looks like the NORMAL price is about $110 to $120 anytime, in many places.

3) It says it is 7" which isn't ideal for me but I realize this is an introductory tablet and it will likely go solely to my wife if I upgrade to a 10" sometime later.

4) I have had an EVO 4G since the day it came out and I'd tech savvy enough to get around and enjoy playing with tech toys.

5) I live in the Milwaukee, WI area but not sure how that matters for this.

So my real question are ... is this thing JUNK?

Is this something I should even bother spending $120 on?

If there really are going to be a bunch of Black Friday sales or internet Monday sales, should I just wait?

I'm writing because I realize that you get what you pay for and I want to know if this is even worth getting for the $120?

Thanks!

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
[EDITED]

Hey gang,

I have the need for an android tablet to give to my mother so she can video chat using Google Talk.
My Droid Incredible 2 does it great and she wants to do the same thing on a tablet.
She would also use it for basic web browsing & Pandora but that is completely it.
She'll probably use her laptop most of the time, but she wants something ultra-portable that she can mount on her kitchen wall =)

Specs wanted:
  • 7" tablet
  • Android 2.3 (or better...)
  • Wifi (any speed really. It just needs to have good signal strength)
  • Webcam (front. rear not needed)
  • Microphone (good internal)
  • Speakers (side or front would be best, but back would work)
Battery life doesn't matter because it will be plugged in 99% of the time.
Screen type must be capacitive (the users are old and need ease of use)
Processor speed doesn't matter as long as it can handle video chat.
This tablet will never be used for games or anything graphic oriented.
CHEAP is king.

I will be buying two of these very quickly
Any tips on what to look for?

Looking at:
WoPad v7+
Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced

Thanks in advance!
~Syn

[UPDATE]
I went ahead and bought 2 Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced tablets at Merimobiles for $139.99 each.
Not a bad price for the quality and all it will do. I'll test it with Google Talk video/audio chat and post my results.
If video chat doesn't work with Google Talk, they can use Skype. That works for sure.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

jillmmax

Nov 15, 2011
Please advise - Pros/Cons - or let me know if it's just a no brainer. Thanks in advance!!!

I think I have it narrowed down between Coby Kyros 7012 (at HHGregg for $99) and Velocity Cruz T104 (at Kmart for $99). Sticky... below are the answers to your questions

1) Need a 7" Tablet for my 8 and 6 yr old twins - ANGRY BIRDS, Fruit Slice (or equivilant) a MUST and other games, music, viewing occasional utube videos, etc. I know it seems ridiculous to buy these for kids, but they are cheaper than an Ipod Touch!

2) Don't want to spend more than around $100 (as I'll probably end up buying 3)

3) I'm only a little computer literate - don't know anything about tablets. I have andriod market on my phone and love it (my kids love the game apps)

4) I'm near Phila., Pennsylvania

Thanks

magentawave

Nov 15, 2011
Go to Amazon and type in those two tablets and you will see tons of user reviews. Groupon has a killer deal on the Coby Kyros MID-7120-4G 7-Inch Android Tablet for only $112.00 that ends in a couple days. Coby Kyros Tablet from BTV America Deal of the Day | Groupon Chicago The reviews on Amazon for this Koby look pretty good too but I think I recall that reviews for the Velocity kind of sucked. I'm thinking of buying the Koby if I can just find out how to make it run Netflix movies. Anyone know where I can find this because searches have brought me nothing?

Thanks
Steve

Zestypanda

Nov 12, 2011
Hey, that's great and all but I'm looking at the 10" not 7". Also, there is a video tutorial on how to download the regular app store, netfilix requires flash to be installed also, so once you install the google market then can proceed to download the flash plugin and then netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:

jillmmax

Nov 15, 2011
Very few reviews on Amazon for either Tablet.... I know it probably sounds dumb - but the most important purpose for this tablet is the Angry Birds, etc... functionality.
I saw the Groupon for the Coby Kyros 7120 - but the lack of reviews/ restocking fee annoy me...I'd rather have the option to return in person, no questions asked if necessary.

Please advise - Pros/Cons - or let me know if it's just a no brainer. Thanks in advance!!!

I think I have it narrowed down between Coby Kyros 7012 (at HHGregg for $99) and Velocity Cruz T104 (at Kmart for $99). Sticky... below are the answers to your questions

1) Need a 7" Tablet for my 8 and 6 yr old twins - ANGRY BIRDS, Fruit Slice (or equivilant) a MUST and other games, music, viewing occasional utube videos, etc. I know it seems ridiculous to buy these for kids, but they are cheaper than an Ipod Touch!

2) Don't want to spend more than around $100 (as I'll probably end up buying 3)

3) I'm only a little computer literate - don't know anything about tablets. I have andriod market on my phone and love it (my kids love the game apps)

4) I'm near Phila., Pennsylvania

Thanks

pengyou

Aug 6, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for.
I am a teacher working in 3 different schools. I travel on weekends to help me maintain my sanity. I ride the bus and subways here in Shanghai. One of my favorite recreations is to enjoy a mocha at Starbucks...I am looking for a tablet that will do as much, if not more than, my notebook, though I do not expect the power and files sizes to be of the same magnitude.

* read e-books; pdf files is a must
* Skype with video, so also need a webcam - are there any tablets with front and back mounted webcams? Also want to be able to plug a headset with mic and earphones into the tablet.
* watch videos (either uploaded from my pc or from some online source - Netflix? There seems to be a variety of file formats out there now)
* games would be fun also though this is a second tier request, so a g-sensor would probably be useful
* office compatible software - at least to open and view the files. I am comfortable with some other version to originate.
* able to connect to external video sources
* Bluetooth and wifi (2.3 and above is supposed to support external bt keyboards - is this true?)
* gps and mapping
* 2.3 or newer
* 10"
* able to use at least 8gb sd or mini sd card - 16 or 32 gb is much preferred
* able to plug a network cable into it would be nice, even if I have to buy an adapter to do it.
2) how much you are willing to spend
$ 200 Am I dreaming?

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
10 inch screen

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know very little about Android. I bought an android 1.6 phone last year and will root it this winter holiday to 2.x I am very familiar with windows xp, including working with the registry, reformatting and installing, etc. I am willing to pop the hood on my tablet and get my hands dirty.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
I live in Shanghai, China. I have seen recommendations on this forum to look into Taobao. I often buy things on Taobao but, to be honest, when it comes to a lot of things, like electronics, they are cheaper in the U.S. and it is more likely that the product you buy in the U.S. made by company xyz is really going to be made by xyz, and not some clone or knock off.

Last edited:

haloony

Nov 21, 2011
Hey All,

I have recently become fixated on finding a good barebones tablet. There are like a kabillion budget android tablets available and that makes doing research very difficult. This thread was a wonderful idea and seems like a perfect place for some suggestions. I am currently in med school and the ubiquitous format for pretty much all my study resources is pdf. So, I am really only looking for a glorified pdf annotator. I want to be able to download pdf lectures to this tablet and take notes directly onto the pdf during the lecture. This is the first essential component of the tablet i am seeking. The second essential component is pricing. I am looking for something in the sub-100/sub-150 range. Really everything else is just gravy. Yeah rootability and a device that is being developed would be nice but truly not necessary for my purposes. All I am really looking for is functionality in annotation.

Thanks,
Hal

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I am looking for 2 tablets one for my 6 yr old son and one for me
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps Angry birds, ereader, movies would be great bonus
2) how much you are willing to spend >$100 it is for a 6 yr old
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be no clue any is fiine
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I kinow nothing about android, but dh has an android phone, I am somewhat computer literate
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) CT

for me I was considering a refurbed Nook Color or Kindle fire, but would love to spend even less so I am game for anything
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps ereader (kindle and nook), read pdfs (mainly for sewing patterns), email, websurfing, movies would be a bonus
2) how much you are willing to spend less than $200
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be any
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I kinow nothing about android, but dh has an android phone, I am somewhat computer literate

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) CT
thank you for your help

sashaa99

Nov 23, 2011
Hi

I am looking for a 9.7" tablet or 7" tablet for myself.
1) What you will be using the tablet for.
Basically I will be using it to read ebooks, surfing, games for my 6-year old, watching movies on Netflix etc...
2) How much you are willing to spend?
Less than $300 for a 9.7" and $200 for a 7"
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be? 9.7 or 7
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate?
I am very computer literate.. I work in IT... But I am very new to Android. I am an iphone user...
5) Please list your location somewhere.
Located in the USA

futurehermit

Nov 24, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for.

--To replace my laptop. I would use the tablet for webbrowsing/email, video-chatting, playing videos/images and dvds, connecting to ppt projectors, viewing pdfs/doc files, taking pics/videos, typing lengthy documents (pdf, doc, ppt), and hopefully more. I realize that I will likely need a usb to vga adaptor and a usb external dvd player. I am also thus posting to get more info on compatibility of these and other peripherals and also I am looking for a tablet that has both USB on the tablet itself as well as a keyboard docking station (I really regret that the ASUS prime model coming out doesn't have USB on the device itself!!!)

2) how much you are willing to spend

Under $1000 -- though I'd pay over this if it's worth it for what I want

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

10" preferred

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

Little to none, but I would be looking to learn as much as possible -- I really like the direction Android is going

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Alberta, Canada

I'd really like to get a tablet that can 1) connect to ppt projectors (e.g., via usb to vga adaptor) and 2) play dvds on the plane (e.g., via usb external dvd player). I'd also like to get a large USB drive or USB external harddrive for storage. With a kid on the way, I also imagine lots of taking pictures and videos to share over the internet, as well as video-chatting. As a professional, I also read and create a lot of pdf/doc files and would want a full QWERTY keyboard attachment in addition to the flexibility of having the tablet on its own. I'm hoping to get one that has Android 4.0, though if it is 3.2 and can upgrade, that's fine. If it has the functionality I like, I would hope not to have to upgrade for awhile, as I'm not the person who chases the newest tech every 6 months. I owned the laptop I'm replacing for 5+ years and it served me just fine during that time.

I'd want it to have bluetooth (preferred), WIFI (must), full sized USB (preferably more than 1 on the tablet itself, but I can get by with 1, especially if the keyboard docking station has additional), Android (I think it will overtake Windows in the long run), keyboard docking station, full sized HDMI (preferably on the tablet itself), and, if possible, a card reader that reads CF cards (if not, that is ok). It also must have decent camera(s) for taking both pictures and videos. Weight of the tablet is not my biggest concern, as it will definitely be lighter than the heavy laptop I'm replacing, but lighter is preferred, of course. 3G/4G is not necessary, especially as I don't want to pay the contract fees.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I bought an Archos 10.1 to replace my laptop. I like it except the screen to watch movies I don't like it. You have to angle it just right and it's a little slow. Only has 512 of ram and I got the market place on it but it's not made for it and I have to reboot it every so often. If I used it right out of the box I guess it may run better. Anyway Archos came out with a new one with Honeycomb but I have been looking at and reading reviews on the Asus transformer eepad. I am in the process of selling my laptop and once it's sold and I sell my archos I will get another better tablet. I read good reviews about the Asus transformer and now I see a new one is coming out the Prime with ICS in December. But it's only going to sell a 32 and 64 no 16 and is going to be expensive. Best Buy is going to have the 389 transformer eepad for 259 on Black Friday but I am not fighting that mob. Plus once the new Asus Prime comes out I bet the transformer price goes down. I kind of like the new Archos one too and it has a kickstand but if the screen is like the one I have now I don't want it. I do know i want a 10.1 with a dual core processor and at least 1 gig of ram Archos only has 512 plus able to use marketplace. I am in no rush since I haven't even sold my laptop for sure yet and once I do then I'll work on my tablet. Just wondering if anyones is familiar with the Asus? I've read good reviews about the transformer and figure the prime has to be better. And comparison wise it seems better. When I have more time I'll try to read more of this thread but right now I don't have time to read 96 pages. Sorry! Anyone go from the Archos 10.1 to the newer Archos or the Asus. I'll read the Asus forum here too and maybe i'll wait for the new Prime.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Last edited:

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I went for the Acer A500. $270 refurbished at BestBuy. Pretty much the same specs at the Transformer.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)