The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

waypointtwo

May 23, 2012
I am looking for a tablet with the following features:
Able to Skype
Able to use NetFlix
Play Games
Needs to be reasonably fast.
I would prefer a 8 or 10 inch screen but this is not an absolute. A 7" would do.
I would like to spend $200 but will go as high as $300 to get a tablet that works.
I was set to buy an Archos when I started seeing mega problems with the screens. Now I'm just confused.
I am new to tablets, but I'm extremely computer literate and will be able to figure out the messy details of rooting etc.
THANK YOU for a wonderful forum. Hope I get an answer.
Hoping someone can answer my question.
Waypointtwo:confused:

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
I can't speak for an iPad mini, since one hasn't been announced yet. I will compare to the iPad 2, since that is closer in price to the NATPC you mentioned.

CPU for the NATPC is single core 1.2 GHz while the iPad 2 has a dual core 1 GHz.
Topping it off, Apple has controlled the design of their CPU, where NATPC is using someone else's design which they have no direct control over.

GPU on the NATPC is single core 400 MHz while the iPad 2's GPU is built onto the CPU as one unit, allowing faster data interchange.

The NATPC does have 1 GB of memory compared to the 512 MB of the iPad 2, and they both have 16 GB of NAND flash storage.

The biggest difference is in the battery, and more importantly, it's performance. The NATPC's battery is supposed to last from 3 to 5 hours, depending upon usage, while the iPad 2's battery lasts 10 hours. Please note, usually the 3 hours is with WiFi turned on and brightness set at 50% or similar, while the 5 hours is WiFi turned off and brightness set fairly low, if not off entirely. The iPad 2's 10 hours is based upon WiFi on and doing "normal" stuff. What this translates into is 3 hours compared to 10 hours. Also, the NATPC has some issues with responsiveness when charging. I don't know if this is a power issue where it slows everything down so it can still power and charge, or if it some kind of design flaw, either way, it means that when the battery runs low, you have to put it aside and let it charge.

All of this comes down to: if you need a basic tablet that you will just do some stuff off and on, then an Android tablet like the NATPC might suffice for your needs. However, if you are looking for more performance, or greater battery life, or both, then the iPad is the better solution, at least for now.

boot

May 11, 2012
I'm not sure how tablets on phone services work, but I have a question. We want to skype/video chat with a friend in another state, but they don't have a computer or internet service so we can't just get them a webcam. Is there a cheap tablet/device that would work? We just want webcam really, but again that won't work without a computer... They don't have a cell phone but I know they have a landline. Could they hook something up through that?

villainist

May 30, 2012
Hello,

I am mainly looking for a tablet for educational purposes. I'm looking for tablet that supports blackboard/blackboard app, I am a college stduent and most of my professors heavily rely on blackbloard to hand out class readings and powerpoints. So I would like a tablet that supports docs, PDFs, and ppt (powerpoint) formats as well. Along with the blackboard feature, I also want to use the tablet as an e-reader for Amazon. The tablet also need to support Adobe Reader Pro, so I can take notes on the PDFs directly. I would like a tablet that supports Wifi, 3G is preferred but not necessary. I'm willing to spend under $300. I am computer literate especially with the Android system since I own the HTC Evo. And I'm from NYC.

I don't really need a fancy camera or alot of memory for games. I just want a tablet as an e-reader and supports blackboard app or have a browser that supports blackboard with a good battery. So far, I have looked into the Kindle Fire, Toshiba Thrive, Coby Kyros, and iRulu because they seem to be cheaper than $300. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
I'm not sure how tablets on phone services work, but I have a question. We want to skype/video chat with a friend in another state, but they don't have a computer or internet service so we can't just get them a webcam. Is there a cheap tablet/device that would work? We just want webcam really, but again that won't work without a computer... They don't have a cell phone but I know they have a landline. Could they hook something up through that?

Well, for Skype they will need Internet service. They can use it for simple voice chat via dial-up, but if they want to do video chat, then they will need DSL, however they would still need a wireless route to connect the Android device to their Internet service, either dial-up or DSL. Other than that, the Android requirements are fairly basic, Android 2.1 at least, 2.2 for some systems. 600 MHz CPU and 27MB memory is fairly basic.

GingaDroid

Jun 1, 2012
Good afternoon, I found this site while doing some look around for a tablet for my wife for her birthday. So i have joined and this is my first post!

So using your format questions, and cheekily adding a few of my own, what i am looking for is:

1) Usage = web browsing, facebook, skype, WIFI, probably bluetooth would be nice, playing movies and music from my ReadyNas and some games
2) I've got £200, i know its a stretch!
3) Want it to be 9.7" or 10"
4) I am computer literate but only andriod experience is only on my HTC HD, but i really dont mind throwing my hand at doing mods etc
5) Place = Liverpool England

I would like it to be a dual core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB mem, res 1024x768 or above if possible, need to take storage card 32GB, able to handle multi video and music formats

I know it sounds a lot but I was looking at a NATPC Knight or Ampe A10 both A10 1.0GHz and 1.2GHz and these covered all the above.

The video link of the performances were fantastic, they were 9.7 & 10.1" and really nice and slim making them a cracking alternative too an iPAD so i was looking at ordering one the other day. As the site looked pretty good i did the usual searches for reviews about the site in question, and that is how i found you guys here! When i read the reviews i decided that it would be best to ask the peeps in the know for guidance and help in getting a tablet sorted for my wifes birthday.

Cheers in advance!

bench88

Jun 1, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Mostly for media consumption, ie papers, magazines, videos, music etc... I also have a netbook and ipad for emails etc.
I want to be able to access the Google app store.
I want a good screen/resolution, but doesn't have to be full HD. I'm not too fussed about cameras and other such gimics.

2) how much you are willing to spend
Less than $200

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
6 or 7 inch tablet because I already have an ipad.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know a lot about tablets/android. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Canada. I can ship to a USA address and bring it to Canada if needed.

I want the best 7 inch tablet for under $200. Please let me know what my options are.

bench88

Jun 1, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Mostly for media consumption, ie papers, magazines, videos, music etc... I also have a netbook and ipad for emails etc.
I want to be able to access the Google app store.
I want a good screen/resolution, but doesn't have to be full HD. I'm not too fussed about cameras and other such gimics.

Less than $200

6 or 7 inch tablet because I already have an ipad.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Canada. I can ship to a USA address and bring it to Canada if needed.

I want the best 7 inch tablet for under $200. Please let me know what my options are.

Any suggestions?

bench88

Jun 1, 2012
Any suggestions?

Any comments on which is the best out of these? Other tablet suggestions (6 - 8 inch) in this price range are welcome

Teclast Android 4.0 P76Ti Tablets 7inch Support HDMI Teclast Android 4.0 P76Ti Tablets 7inch Support HDMI [TLP76] - $109.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods
Android 4.0 Tablet PC With 7 Inch Ainol Novo 7 Advanced 2 A10 1.2GHz Processor Support HDMI Android 4.0 Tablet PC With 7 Inch Ainol Novo 7 Advanced 2 A10 1.2GHz Processor Support HDMI [7040] - $125.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer
7 Inch Tablet PC With Android 4.0 and Capacitive Screen Amlogic Cortex A9 7 Inch Tablet PC With Android 4.0 and Capacitive Screen Amlogic Cortex A9 [7040Z] - $147.98 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods
Yuandao N12 7 Inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen RK2918 Yuandao N12 7 Inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen RK2918 [YDN12] - $97.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods
Cube K8GT Deluxe Version 7 inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen Cube K8GT Deluxe Version 7 inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen [K8GT] - $111.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods
Onda VX610W Deluxe 7 Inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A10 Onda VX610W Deluxe 7 Inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A10 [OVX610W] - $108.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electroni

ljrobison

Jun 4, 2012
Im looking to buy a tablet in the next couple days, looking forward to a response. :cool:

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth,
Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Basic college work: word processing, email, recording lectures, etc

Android Software Development:

I just got into learning software development for Android. I have much knowledge in other programming languages (C#/C++/MATLAB), and am in the in college pursuing a B.S in Software Engineering. I figured that if I am going to develop software for the Android Market, I better make sure it is compatible with tablets (i.e. find out what can break on a tablet, but runs fine on phones). Now I know a tablet is not necassary for this as there are emulators, but I still prefer to use the real thing.

Games (mostly emulators I guess)

Basic tablet usage really.

$300-400ish

10.1"+ preferred.

4) how much you know about [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Android[/FONT][/FONT], or just whether or not you are computer literate

Explained above in #1

Pennsylvania

From the research I've done, the Asus Transformer TF300 would be the best bet, but I wanna make sure this is the best option before I purchase. I am willing to spend a few extra dollars if there's something better in that range.

Also, can anyone fill me in on the major differences between the TF300 and the Prime, and if it is worth it to get the prime?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

putty05

Jun 28, 2011

i am looking for a android tablet for using in my car as a diag tool to use with the app torque i have it on my phone (s2 with litening rom wanting something about 7 inch i can make 10 inch work but prefer 7 needing bluetooth to transmit to the car diag tool

$200

7 inch can b 10 if i cant get it in a 7

Australia in Queensland i am kinda guessing there is nothing in Australia am willing to buy over seas

ta putty

JillKeats

Jun 7, 2012
Hi peeps,

My turn to add my special snowflake details to this thread :)

I would primarily use it for writing and web browsing. I use SwiftKey a lot and I love it. I have an old Gateway laptop that Ubuntu couldn't save, so it would be a replacement for it.

I'm a poor art college student living in Canada, so I would be looking at around $200-300.

Preferably 7". I'm a lady with small, clumsy hands, so something that is easy to hold is essential to me. Ideally, I would love a Note, but it's too big for me to use as a phone, but too expensive to buy unlocked.

The Galaxy 7" Tab is in my price range, but I want to know if it is upgradeable to Android 4. I have also looked at the Playbook, but unsure about upgradeability.

I'm a hardcore nerd and Android - I have the green fuzzy Android hoodie :)

I live in Canada.

Thanks peeps!

Cmeej

Apr 22, 2011
Hey ya'll.

I need some help. A brief run down. I was the proud owner of a G2x and HP Mini Netbook. Both of which I loved dearly. My phone was stolen and my netbook has an inverter problem that costs more than it is worth to fix. So alas, I am stuck with a Blackberry Flip (remember that? I know right) and my main laptop.

I'm going to be replacing my phone soon, but still I am stuck without a mobile device (my notebook, while speedy must be plugged in).

So I'm going to get a tablet (After looking through a plethora of crappy android netbooks). As there is nothing physically wrong with my netbook, I should be able to sell it on ebay as-is for $50-75 (it has a SSD).

I'm willing to chip in a little more, but I need to keep myself around the $100 dollar mark. Here are the requirements I need help with.

Requirements for tablet:

• At least 1gb of Ram
  • Flash Compatible
  • Reasonably nice screen
  • At Least 4gb on-board memory

What I'm using it for:

• Facebook (app a-ok)
  • Google Docs (app a-ok, screen qual. important here)
  • Tumblr (app a-ok)
  • Movies and Music (any size screen a-ok)
  • Netflix (app a-ok)
  • My little-little brother loves this game (aq.com) it'd be way cool if it could handle it.
  • Reading cracked.com and other comedy.
  • Pandora (app a-ok)

Frankly 7" would be pretty convenient size-wise. I just need something larger than the average android phone. So far I've seen these as good options (any thoughts):

• 7" Ainol Novo 7 Tornados Android
  • 1GB RAM 4GB 7" Inch Android 4.0 A10 Capacitive 1.5GHZ Mid Tablet WiFi/3G Flash
  • PD10 FreeLander Tablet PC 7 Inch Android 4.0 1.2GHz 1GB RAM 8GB 1080P Black

All found on ebay. One last thing: I am tech savvy enough to do any rooting or upgrading that needs to be done. So that isn't a problem. Bonus points if it works with one of the DX keyboard cases.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

beng165

Jun 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

1) Will be using for Facebook, Twitter, Feed reading, maybe some games, mostly web browsing. Flash support would be nice
2) <£150
3) Feeling that 7" would be best
4) Own a ZTE Crescent, rooted and installed custom ROM
5) Northern Ireland, UK

Currently thinking about getting an Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
Ainol NOVO 7 Aurora 2 Tablet PC Android 4.0.3 Aurora II 16GB UK Android
Model: Ainol Novo7 Aurora II (Ainol Novo7 Aurora 2)
Operation System: Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS (Android 4.0.3 OS)
Processor: Amlogic8726-M6 Cortex-A9, Dual Core 1.5Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR3
Nand Flash: 16GB
Shell Material: Plastic
Screen Type: Capacitive Screen
Display Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixel
Screen Size: 7 inch IPS screen

Seems to have good ROM support out there, good processor and screen. My Questions are:

1) Is it worth waiting for the Nexus tablet?
2) Is this site good to buy from?

Thanks in advance,
Ben