The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Aggort

Jan 18, 2011
After getting a bit of a better understanding I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am in need of a 7" tablet that I can use mostly to read eBooks. I strongly would like to use the Kindle app, as I already have Kindle purchases. I know most of these tablets come with a built in marketplace, but I am also aware not all of them are Google's which is what I would like. I have found it to be difficult in finding out if particular devices can even support the marketplace. I don't need a camera or 3G(though I wouldn't mind 3G) I just need something that I know can run the Kindle App, whether it be out of the box or require a small amount of rooting, or some form of installation. I am not sure as to how to install apps without getting them from the marketplace which is where some of my confusion comes in.

I also would like an app to read comic books, and I know there are apps in the market to let you do so. This is an important feature as it is a primary reason for me getting a tablet in the first place. I'd prefer the recommended Android 2.1 I'd like to not spend anymore than $200.

I have no idea where to even begin. It seems I have rather burnt myself out on viewing so many tablets. I have seen so many devices, m001, Telepad, m002, Apad, Rocktab, I just have gotten lost. Any help would be appreciated.

One thing I do know is I can pick up the Coby Kyros locally and for a great price, because I have a gift card. I could get it for about $100, but I read it needs to be rooted and so many varied reviews. I was wondering if anyone would recommend it or at least give me something similar since it's pretty damn close to the specs I want.

Sorry for the long post, let me summarize:

- I can get the Coby Kyros for $100, should I? Is it easy to root or can I at least get Kindle App?
- I need a device that will run the Kindle App and at least some form for Comic viewing app.
- Screen Size 7" (No Smaller, No Bigger)
- It doesn't need to be amazingly fast, just let me turn a page and get to apps.
- Already installed Google marketplace or easily installed Google marketplace. (BTW, I consider the guide to root and install the Google marketplace on the Kyros, easy)
- Camera and 3G aren't necessary.
- Would like a battery to at least last 3hrs.
- Under $200

Thank you for putting up with me!

avid

Jan 19, 2011
I know this might be impossible to find, but here's the type of tablet I'm looking for, should be something reasonably reliable:

Android 2.2 (to run flash)
Built-in GPS
512MB RAM
Wifi
Should have the specs so it can be upgraded to Android 3.0 later on
I would like a 10" screen ideally, but a 7-8" might also work depending on the specs/price,etc.
Warranty (I guess I could be flexible on this one if the price is not too steep)

Preferably capacitive screen (not essential)
Preferably multitouch (not essential)
Budget -> under $300

I realize I probably won't get any brand names in this price, but even a non-branded one that people have found reliable would be fine.
I would be willing to spend up to $350 if I can get something reliable, with warranty, etc.

Mortland

Jan 20, 2011
So after the past week or so i have done some casual research. Looking thru various sites getting some not so reliable feedback
I am looking to get a Android Tablet when taxes come. Something not to expensive but not a cheap piece of junk either.
I am looking for something reliable, 1ghz suports 2.1 to 2.2 and beyond
fast good graphics,
a decent camera if possible but not a dealbreaker
certianly gps, wifi, bluetooth.

I would like to dock it in my car for its Gps potential, and for movies and certianly its music capabilities (like power amp) and pandora last fm ect. I figured i would tether it to my Droid 2, and no i wont be watching movies on it thats more for my wife, friends ect.
I would defenatly want it to have the android market on it, wether i have to put it on there myself or if it was stock. I want to be able to play games like angry bird or whatever. Not just simple low end games but the potentintal to play anything i might want to..

Multi Touch Capacitive
Supports Flash
And the potential for more memory if possible. "micro sd or sd cards ect"

And lastley i would like something that defenatly has some community backbone to it. Something that has been rooted, that people know and i can get reliable support on. I dont want to be running 1.6 on it it has to be like 2.0 or 2.2 and i can upgrade it. Something that runs really smoothly and has at least one decent rom.
I see some of these people who bought cheap tablets off ebay from Hong Kong or whatever and there having to scour the net just to find out what excatly it is called.. I dont really wana do that lol.
If i can find it locally great! If i got to order it off the net then so be it. I just want something that is open, reliale, smooth, fast and has some support behind it...

Jan 20, 2011
Any luck with Deal Extreme tablets?

I've bought dozens of insignificant items (headphones, flashlights, etc..) from Deal Extreme and been happy and their tablets are priced very low. Anyone willing to give some advice?

Here's what I need:

* Mostly just read documents - DOC, XLS, PDF, and standard book reader formats
* WI-FI and internet browsing nice but not even necessary
* Quality built, needs to not feel cheap and fall apart soon
* Good battery life
* Simple, thin, lightweight (something that resembles a Kindle or Nook)
* Less than $180

I don't need to have a device that I can push to do all kinds of multimedia stuff (would be a plus) but a small, lightweight reading device with good battery life is what I'm looking for.

That being said, anything anyone can recommend from Deal Extreme? Can I get just as good of a deal by ordering from a US supplier? If so, where?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@callouscrab
Cameras in Chinese tablets are worse than bad. They typically don't work properly with apps. Don't bother.

@diegoxcastro
What's your budget

@princeshoko
Don't just look at specs when looking at low end tablets. Archos 70/101 should be okay for you. Nook Color if you can get your hands on one, but not everyone is into the extensive work required to get it to a working state.

@Aggort
Starting with the Coby Kyros is highly recommended. The only problem is that you shouldn't expect too much out of the tablet's screen when it is in portrait mode. If that kind of thing bothers you, get the Nook Color. Even though it is out of your budget, it is a much better device.

@avid
Huawei S7 when it gets an upgrade to Android 2.2. For now nothing.

@Mortland
You just named the Samsung Galaxy Tab. If you need support, you need to stop considering buying a generic unbranded tablet. Start with our forum structure to get an idea of how this works.

@mikesworkbench
Heard some decent things about the tablets themselves, but it does not make any sense to get any of those cheap tablet from DX considering that you can pick up an equivalent tablet locally, with warranty and decent return policies.

Mortland

Jan 20, 2011
No i dont really want the samsung galaxy tab,
And by support i mean like a community of people who have experience with it... Not just buying some tablet and no one else knows what it is or has one ect...

How about the names of some high end tablets or high end "generic tablet"

sakis

Jan 21, 2011
Hi xaueious and all other android tablet fans.

Although I am quite A LOT experienced with (all kinds of) computers (since 1983)
I am a total NOOB when it comes to tablets.

So please guys help me choose a simple (but decent) tablet because I am a bit confused.
Between :
android 2.1 - € 99.86
Haipad M701R Remote control 2GB 800mhz cpu android market android 2.1 HDMI 7" wide-touch screen WIFI G-sensor HD 1080P
see : Haipad M701R Remote control 2GB 800mhz cpu android market android 2.1 HDMI 7" wide-touch screen WIFI G-sensor HD 1080P_NOTEBOOK HIPAD_Fastcardtech the world TOP 1 Digital product seller! - Chinese mobile phone

and
android 2.2 - € 97.64
Apad M7011R Remote control 4GB 800mhz cpu android market android 2.2 HDMI 7" wide-touch screen WIFI G-sensor HD 1080P
see : Apad M7011R Remote control 4GB 800mhz cpu android market android 2.2 HDMI 7" wide-touch screen WIFI G-sensor HD 1080P_NOTEBOOK HIPAD_Fastcardtech the world TOP 1 Digital product seller! - Chinese mobile phone

Both seem like decent machines BUT android 2.2 under € 100? - I cannot be easily convinced
What do you think ????

eveninstar

Jan 11, 2011
@jhndflpp Merimobiles has it as the Herotab M5, continuing their tradition of giving terrible names to generic tablets. You can also take a risk to order at Pandawill.

@onesaint I like the 7015 mainly because it has physical buttons and is not designed like a brick. You shouldn't put that much weight on future custom firmwares for this, but the kernel sources are available to get some performance enhancements.

@LeslieRuhland It isn't a straightforward answer because it depends on your needs. I think for most people, the iPad is the more user-friendly device if you are new to tablets and has more (and better for the most part) applications. But the Galaxy Tab has more functionality and performance, and is a better investment for the long term. If budget is not a concern, keep waiting for better Android tablets. The iPad 2 is coming soon, so keep that in mind as well.

@eveninstar If you don't mind tweaking, pick up a refurb Gtablet at Sears or a Nook Color. Otherwise the next best are the Archos 70 and the Huawei Ideos S7.

Ive looked at both those tablets and I really like the Archos 70 and 101 but I cant seem to find them in stock anywhere so I have been looking at the alternatives if anyone can shed some light on these tablets. I looked at the Huawei Ideos S7 at best buy and didnt like the feel I gues it just may be a personal prefferance. To be honest Ive looked at reviews, sites, and stores till there all running together.
1. Android 2.2 Froyo OS Android Tablet PC with Texas Instrument CORTEX A8 CPU, GPS - US$214.90 : Euogo.com
2. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Last edited:

totouch

Jan 11, 2011
Ok... so as my search continues for my first Android tablet I've narrowed the search to a few...

Wits A81e/g - i like the idea of a removeable battery (possibility of capacitive touch depending on model) - 256MB ram
Herotab M816 - looks to have pretty decent reviews, no gps, seems to have pretty good support from the company (updates) - clocked to 1.2Ghz - 512MB ram - full usb out
Herotab M10 - capacitive touch, 512MB ram, 10"

all are Android 2.2, Coretex A8 (with potential for at least Android 2.3?), all have g-sensor, seem to be decent reviews on the resistive screens

the prices are ok... but if i were to go for the M10 i'd probably wait for the price to drop... i'll probably wait for the prices to drop anyway (and hopefully in the meantime this year's offerings will reveal more choices...)

any other tablets with similar specs

thanks for your help and ideas!

Last edited:

Aggort

Jan 18, 2011
@Aggort
Starting with the Coby Kyros is highly recommended. The only problem is that you shouldn't expect too much out of the tablet's screen when it is in portrait mode. If that kind of thing bothers you, get the Nook Color. Even though it is out of your budget, it is a much better device.

After a bit more research and looking around pricing, I found the M7001-R/G10 at MeriMobiles. I am very interested in it as it looks like a great device and easy access to the Marketplace. I did see it takes a little bit of work, but not as much as the Kyros I suppose? Plus it turns out I had a bit more cash on a different Visa giftcard I can use anywhere so I can get it for a similar price. I see the Kyros is really recommended, and I also read a lot of good things about this Haipad. Any recommendation either way, or would I be pretty safe no matter what? I know you had stated cameras are junk in these Chinese tablets, but I do like the inclusion in M7001-R. The Nook is a bit out of my price range, though I was very pleased with what I saw about it, I'm spending no more than 200 (without shipping of course) I know what to expect from these tablets, including the Kyros, I know what I am getting into, so don't worry there. I know there are no way an iPad killer for example, and won't be as good as something as say the Galaxy. Also, I have bought Chinese items before and always been rather pleased, MP3 players and items of that sort. Again, may not be top of the line, but they often suit what I need them for and people think they are amazing, because they look good (foolish)! I say this, because I get the feeling your going to suggest the Coby, simply because I can get it local and for warranty reasons. I know Merimobiles policy makes you pay for shipping on items under warranty, but at least there is one :p

Sorry to ramble, I just feel like I am starting tounderstand a bit more and I am hoping I am not sounding like a complete dunce!

lmoney33

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks in advance for helping me. I have read through everything here and I appreciate all you have done (xaueious)
Here is what I am looking for.
I want to be able to read my digital comics(like .cbr files)
Ability to read PDFs(and possibly large PDF files that might be comics)
Ability to view Flash video and Surf the web without much trouble viewing all websites
Ability to play back video files (like divx) does not have to be full 1080p HD.
I would like to be able to play games and apps on the tablet too if it is running android.
USB & HDMI ports would be nice but necessary.
Expandable Memory

It does not matter what OS it is running. I am fine with Android, Windows..etc

Screen size does not matter too much anywhere from 7"-12" is fine...bigger the better though for me.

I would like to keep it around $400 or less...but if there is something that you think would be worth the more money please tell me. The $400 is just my wish...if what I am looking for really should be a HP TM2T at $800 then just tell me that is where i should go.

The options I have seen around through reading were the HP TM2T, Galaxy Tab, Coby Kryos, Viewsonic G-tablet with Tegra II, Advent Vega with Tegra II, Nook Color, Archos 70 or Archos 101

Also is there much difference between the Archos 70 and 101 besides screen size or is one better than the other.

Once again I am not set on anything so even if what you recommend is something I listed please let me know your thoughts. I just really want the most affordable tablet for my needs and an honest opinion.

Thanks Again for all your help!!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Good afternoon, i've been snooping for some time now, and have been looking at getting a tablet for almost a year. I am just not sure how to help narrow my search though. This is what I am looking for in my tablet:

1. 7-10" color display ~ capacitive preferred
2. Flash capable for web browsing
3. Expandable storage ~ micro sd
4. >4hr battery life ~ or swappable battery would be nice
5. Really good PDF ability

My purpose for getting a tablet is to become my primary eReader (epub, pdf, rtf files) and sourcebook replacement (large pdf documents of scanned documents - all TIFF, no text). I also would like the ability to get on the official Android marketplace, but not really required as long as I can side load apps directly to the device.

So my dilema has been that I am looking for a beefier/stronger eReader more than a multimedia device. I have strongly considered making the leap to a eeepc tablet like Asus puts out. But I can not quite get comfortable with that form factor as my primary device for reading in bed at night either.

Suggestions?

(ps - I have had no troubles rooting and flashing my G1 phone so a device that needs some tweaking doesn't scare me.)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Mortland Generic is generally associated with mediocre support. It just works that way. The better products get branded (usually). Generic means leftovers not good enough, not yet internationally marketed, or clones. It just happens to be the case, most of the time...

@sakis It's Android 2.2 because it's a buggy beta, but the key take-away is that it is not going to be powerful enough for Adobe Flash. People like the Samsung 'Herotab M816' now for tweaking, but the iMX515 is dropping fast in price, and the only main drawback is the possibly horrible touchscreen. But the devices themselves at this price range with these specs are actually decent, if you would believe me. It depends on your needs.

@eveninstar You should try harder, or just pick up a Nook Color or Creative ZiiO instead.

@totouch I wouldn't call any of those tablets well supported. They can't even get Android 2.2 right, and you expect them to give you Android 2.3 for free? The A81 is actually decent, but I think people have had difficulties tracking down replacement batteries.

@Aggort The 'G10' is basically the Coby Kyros with a cheaper casing and a remote control. Downsides includes waiting for a couple of weeks for the thing to ship, worse aftersales support, painful returns/repairs.

@lmoney33 I would try the gTablet with that sort of budget and if you must get Android. Windows 7 tablets are much more powerful, but less portable and more difficult to use with a touchscreen.

@faceman Nook Color and it's not even close.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
@faceman Nook Color and it's not even close.

So, what your saying is that current Android Tablets just aren't gonna do what I really want yet. I thought that might be the case. In your estimation would an iPad or TabletPC be closer?

While I am not surprised, I was hoping one of the lesser marketed droid tablets would have some potential. Could you be more specific about which of my criteria is limiting my options?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you were comfortable with the G1, you should really try the Nook Color. It should meet your requirements (in time). The iPad cannot do Adobe Flash. PDF capabilities for the Nook Clor is solid. It's good enough that people are importing the Nook Color back into China.

You could also move up to something like the gTablet. But I think the Nook Color will be sufficiently good for you.

It takes works to get to a working state, but nothing complicated like what you would have had to do to a G1 (radio flashing, goldcards and such).