The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

P

paul_nicholls

Apparently the tablet I mentioned above:

Wholesale Free Shipping New Android 2.2 M7 Sumsung PV210 A8 CPU +muilti touch and camera+ HDMI + Flash 10.1 support +

has been purchased by another person on some forums and he has been happy with it (matched the specs onsite), but I might keep looking for a bit to make sure I am happy :)

cheers,
Paul

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Hi all,
I am looking at buying an Android tablet (I have $200 AUD to spend [including postage]).

I want to do the usual browse web stuff (hopefully with flash support), play some games (hopefully 3d) and other apps, watch movies, and be able to download from the Android app store :)

I also want to try programming gaps/games for the device too...

Here are the specifications that I am hoping for (or close to it):

CPU Speed : 1.0 Ghz
Memory : 512MB DDR2
Storage : 4GB NAND
External Storage : up to 32GB expansion via SD
Operating System : Android 2.2 (or higher), hopefully upgradeable later on.
Touchscreen : 7" - 10" Capacitive Touchscreen (multi-touch definitely preferable)
Screen Resolution : 800 x 480 (minimum)
Wi-Fi Support : a must have
G-Sensor: : preferable
Camera : 1.3M - Front Facing (can live without I guess)
Battery : 3600mAh?
HDMI output : nice, but can live without
Hardware 3D support : definitely a want.
Flash support : can live without I guess, but nice.
Android market : either installed, or can be installed (some don't support the market)

This Kogan 7" one looks pretty good:

7" Tablet PC with Capacitive Touchscreen: Powered by Android - Buy your Android Tablet PC from Kogan

Apparently it IS multi-touch (supports pinch/zoom using 2 fingers - nice), and can have flash installed (and I can get 3 year extended warranty for around $206)...

I don't suppose anyone here might have purchased a Kogan tablet, and if so, what do you think of it?

Otherwise, any other ideas?

I have also found this one:
Wholesale Free Shipping New Android 2.2 M7 Sumsung PV210 A8 CPU +muilti touch and camera+ HDMI + Flash 10.1 support +

EDIT: if it helps (or makes a difference), I live in Australia...

I have googled around (and Ebay), but I thought I would get some opinions from Android users :)

cheers,
Paul

Try the Flytouch III otherwise known as the SuperPAD 2. It has everything that you are looking for except for the capacitive and multitouch. The screen is very responsive so it doesn't really matter that it isn't capacitive. Hope this helps.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hmmm....I don't know. Its extremely hard to get near the responsiveness and accuracy of a capacitive screen with a resistive. Thats my opinion, however, so if you find that resistive screens CAN be on par (or near it) with capacitive then go for it. No multi-touch also means no pinch gestures for zooming, etc. which can be a pain for a touch device. Overall, I'd say go with a capacitive for sure if you can.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I would have went for a capacitive as well.

Sent from my SuperPAD using Android Tablet Forum

May 3, 2011
Hello!

I am looking at buying an Android tablet and am looking to spend around 500 USD.

I want to use it for college and work, mainly tasks like taking notes in class, reading PowerPoint presentations, text editing and assembly, with some web browsing/media usage. I was looking at the ASUS eee Pad Transformer, as having a keyboard is something that seems like it would make taking notes in class much easier. It’s out of stock everywhere, are there any other similar alternatives? I would like for it to last as long as possible, supporting future android releases. Any capacitive screen between 7-12" seems fine, and I’m fairly computer literate.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration :)

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
if I were you I would just wait for the eee

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
if I were you I would just wait for the eee
Agreed, the Eee Pad Transformer seems to be the best 10" Android tablet out right now. I was even considering it myself, but I want something in a more portable form factor. If not for that, I probaby would have bought it!

heavy666

May 3, 2011
Just like the paul_nicholls, I`m looking for a Tablet and I'm willing to pay as much as U$ 230,00 shipped to Brazil. What I'm looking for is a good tablet with Capacitive 8"+ screen. What is the best option availible?
ps. I'm waiting to buy the tablet for almost 6 monthes now, I dont want to wait anymore.

TabletsRWe

May 4, 2011
Hey guys!

I recently built a freaking awesome gaming desktop, and im really unwilling to spend a whole lot more money on a laptop. So I've turned to Tablets as an alternative, to carry around school and surf the web.

I would really like multi-touch, around 6-9" screen, usb capability, wifi-enabled, rootable, and under $400 please. Id also like some word capability, but thats not a must.

ZeroSum1

May 4, 2011
I have a flytouch 3 pc tablet love it my VC-T301 is junk and they where both the same price WTF! .... My flytouch3 superpad has 2 usb's HDMI output excellent sound output via jack very nice response battary lasts about 8 hours with wifi and gps on i keep it in my car for gps music and 3G plugs right in also has drivers preinstalled for mouse and keyboards as well. Very very impressed with this thing 8gb SD HD is very nice for app junkies like me. plenty of root/rom options available if your into customization im happy with the one i have so no need to root really the android system that comes on it is pretty much unlocked already i havn't found a reason to root this thing at all. ONLY Thing i don't like is the Screen Glare is horrable....direct sunlight forget it you can't see anything. My Xoom ...took it back, 650USD for 2 gig hd COMPLETLY LOCKED Droid OS, my phone runs better and its 4 yrs old now, had a nice anti-glare screen,processor was a little faster, some app conflicts memory was really low, At that price tag your getting screwed..that thing was a joke.
I tried out the galaxy tablet little nicer than the xoom but same price still WAY overpriced for what you get. Think ill stick with "True" pc Tablets. shame they put a nice processor in those crappy tablets.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I have the flytouch II and it is great!

heavy666

May 3, 2011
dude thank you so much for the reply but I was really looking for a capacitive screen. Is there a flytouch 3 with capacitive screen?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Sadly there is no Flytouch with a capacitive screen else I would buy one myself.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
@heavy666: I would definitely say don't even consider a resistive screen tablet unless you're in the really-low price band. You'd regret it, imho, over a capacitive if you had the choice.
Also, to ZeroSum1 above - don't go putting down the GTab. Its a great brand tablet for the price, capacitive with GPS; I'm not certain, but apparently the Flytouch uses an external antenna for a GPS? It also lacks a capacitive screen, has less than half the internal storage...and doesn't seem to have a rear-facing camera, either. And since it is quite thick (15mm), it also makes me question the engineering side of its design. The components used cannot be engineered that well if they use up so much space internally. It also makes me question the overall build frame and layout of the internal components. Considering all that, I would still say the Galaxy Tab 7" Wi-Fi only is overpriced since tablets like the Eee Pad Transformer are now coming out. Those tablets are not overpriced.

The Flytouch III is an okay tablet for the price, but it lacks many features and seems clumsier overall than many other tablets. It is, of course, a matter of opinion, and I respect yours - but I'd personally rather go with the Galaxy Tab 8.9" Tablet with the Tegra 2, Capacitive screen, 16GB of SS(Solid-State, what all portable devices use nowadays) storage, and 2 cameras when it comes out (and once it comes down in price a bit), the Eee Pad Transformer, or even the Nook Color.

As for your question, heavy666 - I don't personally know of any really fair-specced tablets at that price, unless you want to go with the China tablets (like the Flytouch) but those can have regulatory issues in your country and may possibly even be illegal products. The only one close to your price range that I know of is the Nook Color. It has fair specs, is a fairly good name, and it can be rooted to be given a full-fledged Android Operating system, as well. However, it is about 20$ ($249) over your price range + shipping.

Last edited: