The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Dajo

Apr 20, 2011

heavy666

May 3, 2011
Walkop , Thanks for the reply is very much appreciated.
do you know a good place to buy Nook Color online? BN is not shipping to brazil =/

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Walkop , Thanks for the reply is very much appreciated.
do you know a good place to buy Nook Color online? BN is not shipping to brazil =/

No problem, glad to be of service.
I'll do some research and get back to you. In the meantime, someone else may be able to answer you before I can.

Last edited:

Atlasdeep

May 6, 2011
Paul.. Did you get what u were looking for? I am interested in the same kind of tablet and would appreciate it if you could share your experience.
Thanks

May 4, 2011
first time tablet buyer. Not really interested in doing a bunch of mods in order to run programs. I need reliable and 4 hours battery life. Android 2.2

Mostly for watching videos, some games, some office applications, mobile email, surfing the net, G3 capable with an external dongle

any ideas would be helpful. $250 budget can be located in US or Canada

Last edited:

abbysdad

Mar 22, 2011
hello this is my first post. i'm about to make my first tablet purchase. my local cvs has the craig 7" android tablet for $99. this looks like a good deal and around the price i would like to pay for one. what do you guys think about this purchase? thanks, and this is a great site.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
hello this is my first post. i'm about to make my first tablet purchase. my local cvs has the craig 7" android tablet for $99. this looks like a good deal and around the price i would like to pay for one. what do you guys think about this purchase? thanks, and this is a great site.

Just remember... You get what you pay for. It most likely runs an older version of android like 1.6. Using 2.1, 2.2, or 3.0 is the best idea. I suggest saving your money and buying a better tablet. Maybe the Nook Color?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

Mavvy

May 7, 2011
Hi,

I was looking towards a cheap ereader (lcd screen) and though for a little extra why not forgo what i was going to get and get a proper android tablet for a littler more. My price range is around $100-200....I would like to keep it to the closer side of $100 if possible.

I'm looking for overall functionality: HD (720p mainly) Video, music, web, books (many formats in pdfs), good sound quality. An allround multimedia machine, specifically though i'm looking towards all day (think 6-10 hours) of battery life out of proper usage. I'm looking to be able to head out without needing to find a power plug every 3 hours. I'm good anywhere between screen size wise between 7"-10" , i wouldn't mind it being light either but battery life will be a main deciding factor. Resistive or Capacitive, gravity sensor, games ect, not a huge focus but extras could be nice.

So far not having heard about battery life it seems tablets like one produced by kinstone, the wopad...et might fit the bill?

DJACID

May 7, 2011
If you can spend $250 then there is the Elocity A7,
$240 of eBay,
It's a real powerhouse with the tegra processor,
Benchmark score of 2400,
It only has one downside multi-touch,
It only supports 2 finger gesture not true multi-touch,
But not a issue if you couldn't care less about multi-touch,
Single touch is still fine,
Runs android 2.2 and recently the kernels were release so a really good chance of seeing honeycomb ported...

ddalley

May 8, 2011
I am surprised that no-one here has discussed the new Othello 7" Android tablet yet (did a search...).

I was going to ask about opinions here, but I will settle for general comments about its value, since I can't find any user comments from unbiased sites.

I have never owned a tablet, don't really need one right now, but I like technology and it looks more capable on the run, in some ways, than my Nokia smart phone is. At $240US and with its features, it looks like a good value.

Does anyone see any problems with it?

Last edited:

adabada

May 8, 2011
Hello,

I'm building a prototype for a project of a client, and I was considering on using an android tablet as the platform of choice for the project. Since this is a prototype, I need the cheapest device I can find.

Beauty, video quality, full hd playback, gaming and stuff like that is completely useless to me. As I said, this device is going to be used for a prototype, so the key here is low price.

What I'm looking for:
  • Good Battery Life - 4+ hrs
  • Bluetooth - either embedded or thru external adapter
  • USB host - to add usb dongle mostly
  • Wifi - either b or g would be fine

Optional Items:
  • GPS
  • Big screen - 8"+

Thanks

stronglove

May 8, 2011
I do not know is that you say? you may have a
10.2quot; Android 2.2 ZT-180 2nd Generation Epad DDR 512M 4...USD 182.00/Piece Wholesale Price at **********

ddalley

May 8, 2011
The key factor of low price will be a problem with getting useful features, such as a good screen. For example, low cost usually means, still, a resistive screen, not a capacitive screen. Depending on how the device will be used and how it will be programmed, the more expensive capacitive may be better, even useful, depending upon how well you can program.

Having more RAM is useful, too, but it isn't cheap (just compare retail prices, for examples of that).

A cheap price will mean poor batteries, but you want long lasting ones. Cost also relates to reliability and I don't like what I hear about "cheap" units. Low price usually means "cheap".

So, how will you define low price if the other associated "costs" are too high?

Also, since this is a prototype, how many production units will you need?

adabada

May 8, 2011
The key factor of low price will be a problem with getting useful features, such as a good screen. For example, low cost usually means, still, a resistive screen, not a capacitive screen. Depending on how the device will be used and how it will be programmed, the more expensive capacitive may be better, even useful, depending upon how well you can program.

Having more RAM is useful, too, but it isn't cheap (just compare retail prices, for examples of that).

A cheap price will mean poor batteries, but you want long lasting ones. Cost also relates to reliability and I don't like what I hear about "cheap" units. Low price usually means "cheap".

So, how will you define low price if the other associated "costs" are too high?

Also, since this is a prototype, how many production units will you need?

Hi, thanks for the reply! By low cost I meant something in the price range of the Coby Kyros 7015 (the model that I was considering using): 100 ~ 200 USD.

Resistive screen is OK since I'm not looking for multi-touch or anything fancy, thins will be kept pretty simple with this prototype. As for the batteries, I don't need nothing fancy, just something that enables the tablet to be used all day long with as few recharges as possible.

This tablet will be used only as a proof of concept. If the project proves itself valid, we're probably going to look for something else with better reliability, battery life, etc.