The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

mickyb

May 16, 2011
First off, thank you so much for the ability to get some info - it is hard to find someone who knows what they are talking about!!!

1) Using tablet for: mircosoft word / excel, internet (via bluetooth tether with iPhone 4) Adobe Flash, calander - basically replacing my Acer F3E laptop, USB for HDD, mouse etc!
2) $1000 AUD
3) Dont care about weight - just 10.1 screen -
4) I am alright with computers but tablet terminology may as well be written in Chinese as I do not have much of an idea..... :)
5) Location - Melbourne, Australia - looking at maybe Acer A500, iPad2, Motorola Xoom or Asus Eee - but you are the experts so please guide me as I do not know which will enable me to get word, excel, internet via bluetooth etc etc.

Thanks heaps in advance!!!

Mickyb

denisem

May 16, 2011
I first looked at getting an ereader a few months ago and was considering the Pandigital or Nextbook since they are both on the Library's list of compatible devices. The reviews are mixed and some steered me more towards a tablet instead of an ereader. I then realized I could use the tablet when we are at our lake place (wifi access) instead of bringing the laptop. (Quick email updates, weather, calendar, a movie or two and a couple of games for the raining days)

After reading several reviews I decided on the Coby Kyros MID7024. Received it and I believe it has a defective screen (I posted about this in the coby forum) and with the overdrive software from the library I can't set the settings to flow the text properly which makes it so I can't read the ebooks from the library.

Since I have to return the tablet I figured I might as well see if there is a recommended tablet for me that would better suit my needs.

1) what you will be using the tablet for:Main reason would be to use it as an ereader for books from our library (They use overdrive Console App and it says it can be used on Android- ePub format)I would also like email access, calendar, watching movies (is there a Netflix app?) and a couple of games. I have no idea what the best features are that I need to do these types of functions, but I would like to explore other apps and I might use the tablet for more once I start using it and seeing what it could do.

2) how much you are willing to spend: $150-200 (would go a little more if needed- if it's best to go more, it may be an investment I'm willing to do)

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be: 7"- Size isn't that big of a thing, but if I am going to use it to read books, the 7" might be best for holding.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate: I know nothing about Android and reading about rooting has my head spinning, if it was in very simple instructions I may be able to figure it out...just not familiar with why and what it does for the tablet. Also a little nervous I may ruin the tablet. Trying to figure out the Coby has been frustrating because I would have liked to see a setting available to adjust the text to fit on the screen.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) Minnesota, USThank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

MikeC

May 17, 2011
Hello everyone. Nice site, lots of great info - maybe too much since I wasn't finding what I was looking for in this thread, and there are so many pages to look through.

I used the Navionics marine navigation app on my Droid Incredible to sail to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico from San Diego California last fall. The Navionics app was the crew's go-to resource for quick navigation because it was so much easier to use than the Garmin chartplotter installed on the boat. I would like to get a tablet primarily for running the Navionics app, but it should also be able to take pictures and video for uploading to the web, play music and movies, games, etc. I do not need cell network access.

Must have:
- 7 - 8 inch 16:9 screen.
- standalone GPS
- Wifi ONLY - no cell radio
- accelerometer
- Google app store access
- still and video cameras
- stereo mini output
- latest core hardware

efh777

Apr 18, 2011
OK, here is my $.02 -
I am on my third tablet (This stuff is addicting). First was an APAD Android 1.6 - 7" Resistive 500Mhz processor - Camera -Had Youtube - bookreader, basic web - Ethernet/USB dongle- 500Mhz processor- not very fast. My first dip into the android world. (Sold on Ebay) Paid about 60 bucks, with $60.00 shipping (I know, what a maroon!)

Second one was Curtis KLU LT8025- 8" resistive Android 2.1 sold at Big Lots in US. Paid 149.00 - Decent Resistive screen Android 2.1 - 2 x TF/uSD slots- USB/Ethernet Dongle - HDMI - CAMERA - WIFI has some issues - drops off - supposed to be a patch that can update drivers -(Currently bricked trying to upgrade to 2.2 -Only runs on Android 2.1 -I actually got Android Market working, but no flash - Decent machine, but WIFI is a bummer.

Third one is HEROTAB C8 - 7" Capacitive 1Ghz Processor- 2 x usb - 1 TF - HDMI - This unit is to die for!!! Android 2.2 - Full Flash - Works great - About $200 (Merrimobiles) - I have not found an app I cannot run on this...Use it with Samsung 4G Hotspot - Fantastic. - Bluetooth - No Ethernet that I have found - Only USB - have not tried a USB Dongle with linux drivers-but WIFI is solid.

IMHO, here is what you should look for:
1 BIG BATTERY - I have seen some adds with Larger battery -
1 ETHERNET / USB capability
1 or more TF/uSB slots - for Sideloading Apps or video/music storage
Android 2.2 (2.1 does not do flash well) -
CAPACITIVE (Multi-Touch) - makes it very nice to work with. SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY.
SUPPORT - See if the mfg will allow upgrades - some Chinese companies DO NOT (Curtis KLU - not a good ujgrade path)
GPS - I have not really seen the need for it...It is nice for location based items, but most of the time, I am indoors - so it would not work. -- Heard horror stories, some only work in Korea - Others need GPS external Antenna - Supposed to suck battery life
CAMERA - Most high end have 2 - Herotab C8 has one "HI-DEF" front - 2 would allow you to do facetime, but shoot video on front.
EXTERNAL VOLUME control - HEROTAB has internal audio - so you have to minimize apps to get to Audio controls - inconvenient if you have headphones on, and get blasted.

I know the new Honeycomb tablets are coming - 3.1 - Higher standards - but for Video/Audio/Movies/Browsing - I cannot do better than the Herotab c8. I am very pleased.

Carlcox89

May 18, 2011
OK, here is my $.02 -
I am on my third tablet (This stuff is addicting). First was an APAD Android 1.6 - 7" Resistive 500Mhz processor - Camera -Had Youtube - bookreader, basic web - Ethernet/USB dongle- 500Mhz processor- not very fast. My first dip into the android world. (Sold on Ebay) Paid about 60 bucks, with $60.00 shipping (I know, what a maroon!)

Second one was Curtis KLU LT8025- 8" resistive Android 2.1 sold at Big Lots in US. Paid 149.00 - Decent Resistive screen Android 2.1 - 2 x TF/uSD slots- USB/Ethernet Dongle - HDMI - CAMERA - WIFI has some issues - drops off - supposed to be a patch that can update drivers -(Currently bricked trying to upgrade to 2.2 -Only runs on Android 2.1 -I actually got Android Market working, but no flash - Decent machine, but WIFI is a bummer.

Third one is HEROTAB C8 - 7" Capacitive 1Ghz Processor- 2 x usb - 1 TF - HDMI - This unit is to die for!!! Android 2.2 - Full Flash - Works great - About $200 (Merrimobiles) - I have not found an app I cannot run on this...Use it with Samsung 4G Hotspot - Fantastic. - Bluetooth - No Ethernet that I have found - Only USB - have not tried a USB Dongle with linux drivers-but WIFI is solid.

IMHO, here is what you should look for:
1 BIG BATTERY - I have seen some adds with Larger battery -
1 ETHERNET / USB capability
1 or more TF/uSB slots - for Sideloading Apps or video/music storage
Android 2.2 (2.1 does not do flash well) -
CAPACITIVE (Multi-Touch) - makes it very nice to work with. SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY.
SUPPORT - See if the mfg will allow upgrades - some Chinese companies DO NOT (Curtis KLU - not a good ujgrade path)
GPS - I have not really seen the need for it...It is nice for location based items, but most of the time, I am indoors - so it would not work. -- Heard horror stories, some only work in Korea - Others need GPS external Antenna - Supposed to suck battery life
CAMERA - Most high end have 2 - Herotab C8 has one "HI-DEF" front - 2 would allow you to do facetime, but shoot video on front.
EXTERNAL VOLUME control - HEROTAB has internal audio - so you have to minimize apps to get to Audio controls - inconvenient if you have headphones on, and get blasted.

I know the new Honeycomb tablets are coming - 3.1 - Higher standards - but for Video/Audio/Movies/Browsing - I cannot do better than the Herotab c8. I am very pleased.

HeroTab C8 seems a good tablet, but cant find it on ebay.
Anywhere else to look ? preferably in europe

thanks

magna

May 18, 2011
I am looking for the absolute cheapest Android tablet that can run the following apps:
Google Reader
Opera Mini (or similar snappy browser)
THATS IT

No games, video, etc.

Can anyone confirm a cheap tablet that meets these meager requirements?

Thanks!

Marylander

Feb 19, 2011
Great thread.

I am looking for:

g-sensor, gps built in, 8", multi touch screen (resistive OK), long battery life with wifi, USB and SD card slots, 800+ mhz speed, 512 mb and 4 GB+
Cheapest possible ($100-200) otherwise I will wait for the Arnova 10!

I am in the USA
Thanks for your input

Last edited:

heavy666

May 3, 2011
what tablet should I buy I need a Capactive screen and I can pay as much as U$ 250,00.
Fast CPU / GPU fast and big RAM.
Honeycomb capable Is that even possible?
So what is the best chinise tablet I can get with capactive screen with my budget?

JavaMonkey

May 19, 2011
First, I want to thank everyone for the great information on this site.

I've been researching my first tablet buy for a few weeks now. My main uses will be:

- browsing
- email
- audiobooks
- music

But I may also want to dabble with:

- games
- movies

And lastly, I'm thinking of starting Android development, so I will want a device for testing. I'm new to Android, but I'm a software engineer and I'm comfortable on Linux, I've built my own custom kernels, etc. I'm willing to spend up to US$200, but I don't want to pay more than I have to for what I need.

For better performance for games and video, I though either S5PV210:
haipad-m7

or Cortex A9:
a9-tablet

But I'm not sure I need that much hardware. Maybe TCC8902 is enough for what I need:
g10-haipad-m701

Any opinions from the forum would appreciated. Thanks.

spikedzombies

Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys

im looking for a tablet 7" or bigger, g-sensor (not too highly important), flash compatible, froyo or higher compatibility (lower ok if hackable to froyo or higher) and wifi (so that it can hook up to my hotspot via my mytouch4gi. Not looking to spend more than $200

Im actually back to see if there is anything out there other than the nook color.

Ajax

May 21, 2011
Okay, so here's the thing. I have been through, Apple(uhh just uhh!), now with Microsoft(Can I hear no updates lol), now I have decided to hit up the Android.

What I am looking for is a Tablet of course; with a pretty nice build, atleast 4-8 GB with added MSD Slot, at least 2.1+ Android system, Can run Android/Google App Store, Camera(MAYBE) it does not have to be name brand, I do not want anything with 3G, unless I have the option of taking it off.

In all I am looking for a tablet with all those details for about $100-$275. If you have any cheaper, feel free to post them :D. If anyone could help me with this, please don't hesitate to post. I will hopefully get this by graduation date.

Last edited:

totem_shoal

May 23, 2011
Hello, I'm looking for a 7" tablet which can run all apps, it's mainly for use with anatomy apps, videos and e-books so something fast enough to do all these things with ease and a large memory capacity is essential. My price range is up to £250 but will go a bit higher depending on the build quality and reputation of a device. I would guess blue tooth and wireless are inherent to most devices these days but I mention them just in case, also if a device which I will have to play around with (firmware and so forth) more to setup but is cheaper or faster than an out of the box equivelant I would be happy to go with it.

Thanks for your time

trampjuice

May 21, 2011
I am just amazed how hard it is to get a 1024x768 display (this has a critical aspect ratio of 4/3) for reading PDFs properly (i.e. they display the full page in easy to read detail), instead of 16:9 'narrow plank'.
The main thing for me in a tablet is reading PDFs, not watching movies - but having been right through many stores most devices seem to cater for gamers and movie goers only. I can only list the following mergre selection of devices which seem to fit my needs

RESOLUTION 1024 x 768 - 4:3 (1.33 Aspect ratio)
------------------------------------------------------
Opad A8-3G Freescale IMX515 MID , Android 2.2 ,9.7 inches , G-Sensor ,Flash 10.1,Herotab , 8GB , 3G WCDMA

Apple IPAD (1024x768) - USD600
GPad GForce /Herotab M10 (1024x768) - USD260
Apad Freescale IMX515 MID , Android 2.2 ,9.7 inches IPS, G-Sensor ,Flash 10.1,Herotab , 4GB - USD 300ish
SmartQ T10 Android Tablet USD 300?
HEROTAB M8 - USD299

RESOLUTION 1280 x 768 -
------------------------------------------------------
Curoius about the 8inch CUBE H1000FHDT, but it seems its marketed as a MP4 player and PDF reader (no flash videos/web etc...) having said that -it has HDMI and HDTV output. Its a shame it cannot get BBC iplayer etc.. but its got a lot for just USD135.

"It can display even e-books with made of picture such as magazine and comics books (100 of pages).
However, it can display only in portrait mode, I cannot rotate or zoom. To change page, you have to use your finger to scroll it up or down. I mean you have to use your finger to "push" the page up or down and it scroll quite slow. It can display text files but does not support unicode. It can display epub format. I use calibre to convert pdf to epub. A pdf file with little pictures convert to epub, it can display ok but the characters become green color. A pdf with a lot pictures (magazine), does not work very well. I try to convert pdf to fb2. It cannot be displayed. I try html and chm , no go."

I would buy it just for reading PDF's BUT I think the PDF functions are flawed. I found this in another forum. I personally don't see any point in Landscape mode for PDF, but given its slightly flawed I guess I might as well cough up for a tablet.

So thats basically where I am - any recommendations/advice? The HEROTAB M8 looks great - Although only 8" it has a HDMI output and GPS. The Smartq T10 is also good - but lacks HDMI out and anything else other than a miniUSB. Frankly I feel I am paying a lot extra for a slightly better display than the normal 1024x600 tablets which are $100 less.

Last edited:

evart12

May 23, 2011
hello, I want to recommend me a tablet with good game support, seamless Internet browsing, video in HD
not more than 200usd
I like the Ramos W10 but not if it is good, I want something good that is of good quality

thx