Third-party IR remote control app?

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I just got my Vizio VTAB a few days ago. The Remote Control app is terrible. I had a long conversation with a Vizio tech support person who admitted the problems. He also told me that a major update was in the works that would solve many of the problems I raised. Whether or not that will include learning he didn't know or wouldn't say. What got me was that, although every device I have is in the database, most of the screen layouts did not provide what is needed to operate the device! What is needed is a PC-based editor that will allow for customizing screens, implementing macros, etc. No technical reasons that I can see that would preclude doing this. It would make the VTAB competitive with the $2000 - $3000 devices by Crestron, URC and others.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No technical reasons at all for Vizio shipping such a poor remote app and from a TV manufacturer to boot! The bottom line is they simply didn't want to put any time into the software and only provided a basic remote. The code probably isn't even theirs and is some generic universal remote code. In reality the software support from Vizio is generally terrible, for the remote and the whole device. It is clear that this tablet is a test the waters tablet by dipping the toes and not wanting to get wet. See here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/34876-tight-lipped.html.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I don't think there is any other software available. That said, I spoke to Visio tech support about it, and the agent told me a new release was coming out soon that would fix many of the problems. Obviously, they are aware of the current apps lousy performance.