This app is not compatible with your device??? G tab help

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
Hey everyone

I am on the market trying to download stuff and sometimes I am get the message "this app is not compatible with your device" and then I can't download or install the app, it won't even give me the buttons.

So I am wondering why this would be and how I can go around this? So far I have side loaded the apps that have said this like drag racing, skype, netflix. But it is weird because I tried Yelp and got that message too...

Any ideas?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The problem is the variable set on the app. Not just your tablet. But some apps are configured to only run on devices with continuous 3G or similar connection. There are other variables as well. Unless someone identifies the variable and creates a shim, you are out of luck

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Yelp is HIGHLY dependant on location services to functuion that's prob your block there... there MAY(not sure cause i haen't tried) be a work around by making sure you have the locations services turned to "network"... that's goining to be rom dependant though... I can't remember off the top of my head but if your ROM doesn't support "network" locations, you may try a "Spare Parts" app there may be some location managment options it one of them.

also to get other apps to show and load... there is the option of editing your Build.Prop file to tell the market that your tablet is actually another device.. that's how we got the netfix app to work on this tablet when it first came out for android.
If you go this route, I HIGHLY recommend making a back up to have a clean Build.Prop to go back to in case it casues unforseen issues.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
@gurgle - what is "shim" please... thanks, Dan

A shim is a an insertion app or a mod to a file with extra code to fool the device which makes it think it does not need to make the location call or similar check. Swould333 comment about modding the Build.prop or using a Spare Parts value change can be thought of as a type of Shim. Sorry, I was in a wood working mindset when I replied last night. A shim in electronics is similar but different than a woodworking shim. They both fill the space and "fool" the chair or app to think there is something there when it is not really there.

fourtanks

May 11, 2011
Yelp is HIGHLY dependant on location services to functuion that's prob your block there... there MAY(not sure cause i haen't tried) be a work around by making sure you have the locations services turned to "network"... that's goining to be rom dependant though... I can't remember off the top of my head but if your ROM doesn't support "network" locations, you may try a "Spare Parts" app there may be some location managment options it one of them.

also to get other apps to show and load... there is the option of editing your Build.Prop file to tell the market that your tablet is actually another device.. that's how we got the netfix app to work on this tablet when it first came out for android.
If you go this route, I HIGHLY recommend making a back up to have a clean Build.Prop to go back to in case it casues unforseen issues.

Once I'm in Build.Prop what do I change to tell market that my tablet is actually another device and what device should I say it is?