To Root or Not to Root?

Drakard

Jul 9, 2011
I have a question. I have watched a couple videos about the Nook being rooted and this might seem like a dumb question but wanna make sure I know the difference before I attempt.

I take it that the video directly below this line is one where the user never nook the SD card out after putting Honeycomb on it? So that is referred to as nooting? And I see that he can still access his Nook homepage and uses Android OS more or less like a app....

In this video it looks like he does the whole restart thing after installing from the SD card and then takes the card out and so now his Nook has the Android OS as its complete OS? And does it no longer have the homepage (or whatever you would call it) of the original nook? and can you still access that homepage?

Just trying to make sure I have this down before attempting because I would like to have the Android OS, still use SD cards to transfer data, yet still have the original Nook functions as well. Which version should I attempt to perform?

Trent

Last edited by a moderator:

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Hi Trent,

The NC comes with Android. It is Froyo. There are other versions or custom ROMs such as Honeycomb, CM7, Phiremod (which is a heavily themed CM7 version) that you can install on the Nook Color or run off an SD card.

Rooting (via auto/manual nooter) allows you super user access to the stock Android ROM. You are not erasing the Android ROM it came with, you are just gaining full control of it. Liken it to Jailbreaking in the iPhone/iPad world. That means you can customize the way your NC looks, install apps from the standard Android market, side load apps on the Nook while running the Android (Froyo) version from B&N it came with.

Installing or flashing a custom ROM means, you are installing another Android version on the Nook Color. Liken it to replacing Windows XP with Windows 7 by completely erasing XP and doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

The first video is about rooting.

The second is about flashing Honeycomb. It was installed on the eMMC (the Nooks internal memory), wiping out the stock ROM or the Android version the Nook came out with.

You can simply root your Nook Color to keep using Froyo but with the ability to customize the way it looks and install other apps plus overclocking.

Or

You can flash a custom ROM to do all the above and just install the Nook app from the Android market to have the Nook functions sans read to me.

There is another way: you leave the stock OS untouched and just run a custom ROM such as CM7 off the SD card. Whenever you want to boot back into the stock Nook, you just take the SD card out.

juanc723

Jul 9, 2011
You can simply root your Nook Color to keep using Froyo but with the ability to customize the way it looks and install other apps plus overclocking.

Or

You can flash a custom ROM to do all the above and just install the Nook app from the Android market to have the Nook functions sans read to me.

There is another way: you leave the stock OS untouched and just run a custom ROM such as CM7 off the SD card. Whenever you want to boot back into the stock Nook, you just take the SD card out.

which of the 3 is best? which of the 3 is recommneded?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It really depends on what you want to do, there is no right answer. if you like the Nook Color the way it is but want access to the Market and to unlock its full potential then root it. If you want to have a fully functional (including bluetooth), completely customizable tablet then go for a custom ROM. If you aren't sure about a custom ROM and want or want to leave the standard stock OS alone then try the bootable SD card.

All are great choices and much better than leaving it stock.

TNRonin

Sep 5, 2011
Root it! Totally loving it. I did the N2A card thing. I didn't want the stress. I have a rooted D1 and finally went back stock/rooted.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum