***Too....many...options*** Which bookstore to use??? (Brain freeze face)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay, so when I first bought my NC, I was perfectly fine using B&N for my ebook needs (other than sideloading from other sites like googlebooks, etc) but now that I am rooted, and have the Kindle App on my NC, I am having inner turmoil over where I should purchase my books from, I am trying to avoid fragmentation as much as possible (having one book from a series on one app, and other from the same series on the other app...

Has anyone else run into this dilemma? I read lots of fantasy/adventure (think Dungeons and Dragons) but now I haven't bought any books, because I don't know which app I want to use.

I have never seen the Nook App, the one you get from the market...is it exactly like the one we have defaulted on the NC? (I ask this because when a full custom ROM comes out, I am sure I will be going to it, and then I will be looking at the Nook App...and I don't have a smartphone or other tablet to see it now)

What App does everyone around here like?

Daisimae

Dec 23, 2010
I've used the Nook for Android and Kindle for Android apps. I prefer the Kindle for easy of use. It also installs better than the Nook app. However in terms of versatility I think the Nook is better. The Nook books are Adobe DRM' ePubs. They will read in any app that uses Adobe DRM like Overdrive , Borders and Kobo. Amazon reads .mobi for it's file format. DRM'd they are in .AMZ or another format I can't remember right now, but, they are only readable on Kindle or Kindle apps.

What it really has come down, to for, me is price. I read a lot of free and low-cost books. Whomever has what I want for the least amount of money is what I download. If it is something I think I'll want to read in multiple formats, (ie. My Nook books in the Borders app on my Nextbook), I choose Nook. If not, I choose Kindle.

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
Okay, so when I first bought my NC, I was perfectly fine using B&N for my ebook needs (other than sideloading from other sites like googlebooks, etc) but now that I am rooted, and have the Kindle App on my NC, I am having inner turmoil over where I should purchase my books from,

Not sure if this is the most popular approach .... but I only purchase books I known I can strip the DRM from. Right now, both adobe adept drm (BN, borders/kobo, dunno who else) and amazon kindle drm (mobi) are pretty easily stripped, leaving your book in a nice epub format that you can use with pretty much whatever reader you want.

Since you like fanstasy/adventure, I'll plug Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page , many DRM FREE books !!

No way I'm getting locked into a device/format. No reason for it to happen.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I just price shop and see who has what at what price. I was really surprised at how much a difference the prices were store to store.. Also the prices of ebooks are rising according to popularity of the book.. not a fixed price... I was looking at a book on B&N and didn't pick up that day.. and about 4 days later thought what the heck.. went back in and the price went up $5.... I have split series going for the lowest price between Amazon and B&N.. I have a Books a Million in my town but their prices are at least 5-10% more on all books.
Some one soon will come out with a book shopper to track the best price on each book.. stay tuned for that.

as far as the Nook app.. I have that on my Droid and it looks just like it does on the NC... the only thing if you add library books to the NC .. it will not map over to the app on the Droid I have to add it as well.. otherwise it works exactly the same.