Toshiba Tablet Website Slowly Reveals More Details on the Honeycomb-based Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
toshiba-tablet.jpg

The Toshiba Android Tablet's official website, thetoshibatablet.com, is showing a few more details since last visited. It shares more tidbits about the tablet. It is expected in the Spring, will come with Honeycomb, and will allow custom apps. It also sports a NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor and a spill-resistant rubber back. Other reports indicate that it may be called "The Folio", but this is unconfirmed by their website.

It's pretty snazzy looking. If it's a lot cheaper it will probably be a great alternative to the Xoom, and force Motorola to drop their price on the Xoom.

What do you guys think... is it an iPad crown contender?

Source: thetoshibatablet.com

Last edited:

InFamoUs

Dec 27, 2010
Yes we cant be to sure until they release the price but from what we are given it is off to a nice start

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
the specs are good, the tegra 2 chip has already proven itself with the vs gtab (modded).
I'm confident that android tablets will be using ipads for toilet paper this year and models like this will do the job.
sign me up.

elg

Feb 8, 2011
Not to sound too much like Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally", but YES, YES, YES!

This looks like the kind of device I've been waiting for. It's particularly welcome given the problems that seem to be developing with the NotionInk Adam.

To Toshiba I say "You are on the right track. Keep the price within reason and I guarantee you a sale".

dpeagle

Sep 7, 2010
they have already said it will be competively priced with the other tablets in the market. expect $600 for wifi and $800 for 3/4g. the advantage this tablet has is the user replaceable battery and the upconverting video processor. i only hope its better then their first attempt at a tablet.

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
$600 for a Wi-Fi only is perfect for me, I honestly wouldn't want it to be any cheaper because then I would start questioning the quality.

User replaceable battery will be nice too. Spend the $600 on the tablet and then $75 or so on another battery and you are good to go. Might not even need the spare battery though.

This is still what I'm hoping for with the Xoom, because I do like the style, a $600 Wi-Fi only model would of the Xoom would have me sold in a second.

mgoony

Apr 8, 2010
Price it right and you win.

Thats all that needs to be said. Dont get too greedy and get it started.

fbales

May 5, 2010
This is an impressive looking tablet. iPad killer? Nah, nothing's going to "kill" the iPad, but Android tablets will rule. Last quarter more Android phones sold than iPhones. That trend will continue into the tablet market. Xoom, Toshiba and other Honeycomb tablets will (together) overtake the iPad, but they won't kill it--ain't nothing gonna do that.

Frank

fbales

May 5, 2010
Oh, and BTW, it ain't gonna be cheap. You get what you pay for. Dual-core, two cameras, the front a 5mp, plus other bells and whistles (I especially like the full-size SD card slot). All it has to do is be priced comparable to the iPad, but I doubt if it will be lower--this tablet offers much more than the current iPad so why should it be cheaper?

Frank

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
The problem with these tablets that are coming out in the next few months is that they are all more or less similar. Android is Android except these manufacturers will load their custom UI over Android to make their product different (not necessarily better). How many tablets are coming out with dual processor, cameras, ability to see Flash web sites, 1GB of RAM, Android Honeycomb, HDMI output, etc.? There will be too many choices and no clear winner. No manufacturer (I am talking Android tablets here) will have record sales figures and dominate the tablet market. Whether you like or hate Apple, they have the first mover advantage. I believe RIM PlayBook and HP TouchPad are contenders. For Android tablets, definitely the XOOM (although at $800 with rumored data plan required by Verizon, it will fail), Notion Ink Adam (don't discount this one), and maybe the Toshiba are the ones to watch. However, real life performance will determine whether these tablets live up to their hype. Until they are tested & reviewed, do not go just by specs alone.

fbales

May 5, 2010
TabletConnect, I don't see that as a problem at all. I believe I'd call that choice, something you don't get with Apple. You're probably right that no one Android tablet will outsell the iPad, but Android tablets as a group will. I'd much rather be able to choose from a variety of tablets than only one.

Frank

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
Having a lot of options should be a good thing for customers. Should keep prices competitive and allow people to find the one that works best for them.

I think the important thing is that all android tablets be able to access the same app store and run the same apps. Hopefully that's the plan because you'll want a large user base under a single app marketplace to attract developers. Software will make or break android IMO.