Toshiba thrive vs Acer A500 vs Galaxy Tab 10.1

tony333

Nov 27, 2010
Hello All
Im trying to decide which tablet to buy. My requirements are option of extra ports (USB,etc),great looking screen angles and longer battery life.I have seen all major tablets in store.
Acer (and xoom) seemed heavier to me,Thrive is nice and feels good while holding but not many reviews,Galaxy Tab got remarkable screen and light but expensive plus no ports just like transformer.
So which one is better? Should i get Thrive or Galaxy?? im down to these two now.please help.
thx

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Hi Tony, it all depends on what's more important to you.

Thinness and weight would go to the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Full sized ports and removable battery for the Thrive which is alot thicker and heavier than the Samsung.

tony333

Nov 27, 2010
well, i want to know which one is better.
Does anybody knows if any connector would be available for Galaxy tab to connect other peripherals like USB flash drives/SD cards. And i also want to know if the screen on galaxy tab is acutally IPS/PLS??? otherwise i might go with toshiba. Any toshiba thrive user here care to share opinions here...

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
I have not seen it myself but some have said that the Thrive screen is sub par, Galaxy Tab is missing some bits so I would recommenf the A500, its all there and it works and now has Honeycomb 3.1.

Pete

Andy_Luv

Jul 20, 2011
played with all of them at my local best buy and found the acer iconia to offer everything I wanted. Very happy with my purchase

schwartzkm

Jul 20, 2011
I purchased the Transformer and am very happy with my purchase. I love the keyboard and ports to store and transfer data.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

johnburton

May 26, 2011
I am in love with my Galaxy Tab. So light and thin. Fast. I had the Acer a500... and it was honesty very good. I took it back and got the Galaxy... I like it quite a bit more, even though it has no ports. I think the trade off of no ports with the crazy slim form factor is easily worth it.

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
I am in love with my Galaxy Tab. So light and thin. Fast. I had the Acer a500... and it was honesty very good. I took it back and got the Galaxy... I like it quite a bit more, even though it has no ports. I think the trade off of no ports with the crazy slim form factor is easily worth it.

<SHUDDER> no ports, no thanks.

tecwizrd

Aug 10, 2010
In this day and age of Cloud storage, are thumb drives and sd cards really all that important? Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

Metups

Jul 25, 2011
well, i want to know which one is better.
Does anybody knows if any connector would be available for Galaxy tab to connect other peripherals like USB flash drives/SD cards. And i also want to know if the screen on galaxy tab is acutally IPS/PLS??? otherwise i might go with toshiba. Any toshiba thrive user here care to share opinions here...

Yes, I just picked up a GTab and also got the Samsung USB adapter. The adapter provides one USB A port in which you can place a flash drive. It was $20 at BB.

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
In this day and age of Cloud storage, are thumb drives and sd cards really all that important? Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

Well yes they are, thanks for asking. Not everyone is connected to the net all the time, where I live I am often not connected and I want to wtch a movie, thumbdrives and extra storage make it easy.

Pete

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Well yes they are, thanks for asking. Not everyone is connected to the net all the time, where I live I am often not connected and I want to wtch a movie, thumbdrives and extra storage make it easy.

Pete

Completely agree here, the so called 'cloud' which is just storage on remote computers that I've been doing for a dozen years or so, is only as useful as your connectivity allows. For back up it is fine but for mission critical access to data I sure wouldn't want to be without local storage.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Thriving83

Jul 27, 2011
I purchased the Thrive and really enjoy all the connections. Full HDMI out, USB, and SD card reader is what sold me. The screen looks great to me. Yes, i had to forfeit weight, but I got everything I wanted.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Acer Iconia a500 for the win.
External ports and storage for the win. (Whats Cloud?)
Xoom and Iconia are the most popular Android tablets on the market right now and are directly comparable. The Iconia has the USB port, while Xoom does not though.

BTW, why the heck are you asking for help with deciding between the Galaxy Tab and Thrive on the ACER ICONIA A500 thread!?!? Honestly, thats just stupid!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: