Transferring documents

S

Spyder*

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) which has the below Microsoft apps pre-installed:
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, OneNote & Skype

When I transfer any documents (.docx, xlsx .pdf, .txt, etc.) to the tablet via USB from my desktop computer, they are all listed as 'Read-Only'. I double checked ALL documents on my computer & NONE of them are listed as 'Read-Only'. I've asked Microsoft why, & didn't get a clear answer other than to upload the documents to OneDrive & edit the documents that way.

1. Of course Microsoft would push their product instead of giving me a simple solution
2. I am NOT going to use OneDrive for something that should not have happened in the 1st place

Does anyone have any ideas why my documents are 'Read-Only' once transferred to my tablet?

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
You got me, Spyder*.
I haven't had to edit a document in several years.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Does anyone have any ideas why my documents are 'Read-Only' once transferred to my tablet?

Your tablet has a 10.1-inch screen. Microsoft restricts editing files to tablets and smartphones with screens smaller than 10.1 inches. This apparently applies regardless of whether you have an Office 365 subscription or not.

There are plenty of free alternatives on the Play Store that allow editing. For example, Collabora Office: LibreOffice, OpenOffice & more - Apps on Google Play is based off LibreOffice and provides almost the same level of functionality as Microsoft Office. LibreOffice itself is usually preinstalled on Linux devices, since Microsoft Office is not available for Linux.