Transformer vs. Prime vs. Galaxy 10

mclaren880

Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

I was visiting my parents over the holidays, and i played with an iPad 2 (first time i've really played with a tablet at all). I pretty much fell in love with it. The video chat on it was incredible, and i loved how easy it is to carry around. As much as i loved it, i think Android is the better OS for me. So, now i'm trying to pick one out.

I'm debating between the Asus Transformer, the Trasformer Prime, and possibly the Galaxy Tab 10.

Amazon has the Transformer in "like new" condition for $307 with shipping. I'm not against used. The Galaxy is going for $386 after shipping. And then the Prime would be new, for $500.

I don't do anything crazy on the computer. I mainly surf the internet, video chat, watch videos (both from the memory as well as streaming), word processing, email, etc. I'm also going to be a Real Estate in the coming months, so i'll be using PDF readers and other apps that aren't graphic intensive. So in short, aside from maybe an occasional flash game, i do my gaming on my Xbox and won't be using this for that.

So, with that in mind, the $300 price tag of the transformer is really enticing. Do you guys think this tablet will serve those needs adequately for the next 2-3 years? Or a year from now am i going to be feeling the drag of a slower machine? I have my Evo from 1.5 years ago, and while i notice how much faster my friend's new phones are, this thing really does do the job for me. I don't notice any lag at all until i have one of theirs next to mine. I CAN swing the $500 for the Prime if people really think it's worth it, but i also want a new bike rack, and that would put that purchase on hold for a while :).

Also, what are you guy's impressions of Skype on android tablets? Facetime was awesome on my mom's iPad, and she said Skype worked just as well. Is it comparable?

Thanks in advance, i appreciate any insight you guys might have on this.

Makinnard

Nov 28, 2011
I just recently bought the transformer and I love it. Skype runs nice and soothing asking you both have a strong wifi signal. The picture was a higher quality too. If you doing plan on playing alot of 3D games the transformers duo core will be plently for PDF. Files.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
+1 for the Transformer. Definitely better than the Xoom, which was my previous favorite. And unless you are a gamer, I think the Prime may be overkill.

Makinnard

Nov 28, 2011
Yea while having a quad core tablet is nice it just seems overkill for the standerd user

Sent from my Transformer TF101

mclaren880

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks people, you're re-enforcing what i was thinking. The only real difference between my evo and my friend's phones is that theirs open's Gmail and Yelp about 1 second faster. So if that's what i will notice in a couple years, i'm A-ok with that.

Thanks for the input! (and i'm still open to other thoughts, as well)

gstephen

Jan 5, 2012
mclaren,

Assuming you haven't purchased your Android tablet yet, I would suggest you go with the Transformer, 16GB. Try to catch a deal on Amazon. I see they have used tablets for low $300. Their prices change, so I'd keep looking. If you haven't bought it yet, I'd wait till the Prime is finally shipping. I would think the prices for the Transformer would go down even further.

I owned an iPad2 which I gave to my son now that I have the TF. IMHO, the difference is night and day. I love being able to drag and drop files, movies, music etc. without having to convert to some Apple friendly format i.e. AVI In addition, the ability to use Flash is huge for me. I know that the Apple lemmings will bicker back and forth on this, but it's my opinion.

TF rocks. And I would be hard pressed to think of anything I'd do on a tablet that would require the faster Tegra 3 processor.

Whichever you choose, enjoy it mate.

antonylewar

Mar 12, 2012
The Asus Transformer is really good option and suits all you needs of video chatting and email etc. But the problem with this tablet is battery life. It does work long hours which is overcomed by the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.

Last edited: