Troubleshooting The Annoying Forced Close message

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone who uses Android has seen this error message. It is usually caused by:
A. An indicator the application has hung
B. The person is trying to close the application in some unexpected way
C. The application is incompatible with the Firmware version or the firmware build.
D. The device/application must have a network connection of some type
E. The device/application must have a 3G network connection

But, there are some situations which can change from annoyance to headbanging frustration. This is when you get the same response in a loop while attempting to open an application. Or, it happens as you are start your tablet.

A boxed window pops up and says something like
SORRY!
The application Gurgle
(process com.android.gurgle)
has stopped unexpectedly.
Please try again

Close Window or Wait.

Obviously, you close the window and then attempt again. And what happens. The same message. There is no detail to cause or clue on how to fix. This thread will describe two scenarios and options for fixing. Note, I do not say all fixes to this error.

Scenario #1 (Device Force Close Loop)
Description: Power on and you end up getting this message in a loop as you reach the home screen.

Simplest
Option 1 - Boot into Safe Mode. Android has a safe mode of booting just like MS Windows. When you boot into safe mode, it does not load all of the pre-apps and processes/services. If you can boot successfully into safe mode, it is a preloaded app or service. The solution is to identify what application is causing this. Boot into safe mode by holding down the Menu button as you power on and on some units after you have powered up.

Ask yourself these questions?
A. What did I just Install?
B. What did I have open right before this happened?
C. What applications are always running on my tablet?

Many times if you uninstall the application, it will get past the Force Close Loop

Simple
Option 2 - Power on and let your battery completely drain or Remove Battery if removable for 10-15 minutes. Plug in and let charge. Attempt normal boot. If Fails, Repeat battery drain, and boot in Safe Mode , attempt Option 1.

Complex (THIS IS DRASTIC ACTION FOR SOME)
Option 3 - Get correct firmware for your device. I suggest you identify this source now, Even contact the vendor where you bought it for a copy of the original firmware. Follow instructions to reinstall firmware. This is comparable to a bare metal rebuild of your PC. You will need to reinstall all applications you had installed

Scenario #2 (Application Force Close Loop)
Description: Power on and you get this message each time you attempt to run a specific application. This is common where the application is not fully compatible with your firmware or Android version. In my experience thus far there are three options.

Simplest
Option 1: Go to Settings, Application Management, Clear Settings and Cache, Attempt opening Application
OR
Uninstall and stop using that app

Simple
Option 2: Uninstall problem application, Reinstall with compatible or newer version. Attempt opening application

Complex
Option 3: Uninstall problem application, Launch ADB shell, Locate the problem application's folder, remove the folder and contents, Exit ADB, Reinstall with compatible or newer version. Attempt opening application.

These are what I have found to be successful. I am not providing a step by step on these instructions. It is hoped you can interpret what I have and understand.

If you have other solutions, please add to the thread or PM me and I will add to this message.

Best of Luck

Last edited:

elex2k

Nov 4, 2010
Thank you very much for your informative post. I am new to this forum and new to Android. I just purchased the Apad Telechip 8902/Hiapad M701 Tablet. It worked fine until I attempted to load music on my SD from my laptop. I now have the "Annoying forced close" message. It took me numerous hours to find this specific topic posted. I tried your solution and it worked! Thank you! The problem I'm also in a boot loop too. I can see safe mode for about 20 seconds but I still cant access it or any touch screen features. Any suggestions or directions would be helpful. Thanks.

FotoGal

Mar 29, 2012
I don't own this tablet but am trying to fix one for a friend of mine. Boot it up and the "Force Close Loop" message appears. I have tried the Safe Boot method and still get the same message. I have tried connecting to my PC and it doesn't even register a USB connection for this device. I even tried the Reset button and the pin I used to insert into the hole for the reset goes all the way in as if the button has collapsed. Need help! Would hate to return this to my friend in smashed up pieces!

rednkgrl

Dec 28, 2011
I'm having this on my Droid2 phone, system proccess is the app that it is waiting/force closing on. The battery is also not staying charged, so I have the dreaded red light at the top. Could the battery be my whole problem? The droid works when docked, but shuts right down when not. I dont use it as a phone, I use it as a mini tab. Thanks for any info (I do have a new battery on the way) Thanks!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I'm having this on my Droid2 phone, system proccess is the app that it is waiting/force closing on. The battery is also not staying charged, so I have the dreaded red light at the top. Could the battery be my whole problem? The droid works when docked, but shuts right down when not. I dont use it as a phone, I use it as a mini tab. Thanks for any info (I do have a new battery on the way) Thanks!

It does sound like the battery in part. I would first replace the battery. See the result. Then you might want to search Bing or Google about Droid2 and Force Close.