[Ultimate How To] Coby Kyros MID7127

Comstar

Jan 27, 2012
I've been following along accross a couple different forums, but still need a little help. I am familiar with rooting and have flashed many a ROM on my phones and Asus Transformer but am stuck here.

I rooted my daughters 7127 per your videos and flashed the Formula RSZ Rom - Thanks! - all was fine until I decided to flash the Bulldog20 rom. After the flash I lost root. SU is still there but I can't boot into CWM and can't flash a zip from the system update in the Rom (TB will not load from the market either). I can boot to FWDN and Adb commands work (I used the reboot command to get out of fastboot). I tried to root it again but oneclick just stops.

Luckly I have a couple of CWM Nandroid backups and also a TB backup on the SD card.

When you mention above to use the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. Is that from the ADB prompt? Should I have the tablet in fastboot? Do I use one of the recovery.img files from the nadroid backups or do I use the stock_recovery.img you posted elswhere? Where do I put the file so the command can find it? When you say "restore one of your backups" are those the nandroid backups?

Maybe just a step by step.

I know i am close to getting it rooted again, but want to proceed correctly. Don't need a brick!

Hope it all makes sense!

empty.gif

Last edited:

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
ok, in order to use
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

you'll need to use one of the CWM recovery.img's

your tablet will need to be in fastboot mode. also, place the recovery.img your going to boot into the platform-tools folder of android sdk.

when i say restore one of your backups, i'm talking about a CWM nandroid. make sure it's on your sdcard (it should be unless you moved it for some reason.) then restore.

you're now back to a rooted backup point!

Last edited:

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
Question how do I make a back up on my unrooted 8127? I plan to root this tablet with one click but I wanted to back up the "OTA recovery image" I am not sure if that's rlthe correct term. Is there a way to manually boot into the recovery and make a nandroid on the OTA? Or do I need to use ADB? If I need to use ADB do I just boot into recovery? Do I then make a back using the tablet like you would a nandroid or do I make the back up using ADB commands?

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
you'll need to have android sdk up and working...

have the clockworkmod recovery.img of your choosing copied to the platform-tools folder of android sdk. With your tablet on using the command prompt on your comp type:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

you'll now be in fastboot mode. make sure your comp and tablet can see each other.
Code:
fastboot devices

boot your recovery.img
Code:
(recovery.img is what ever you have it named in platform-tools folder, for example, mine is Coby-recovery-V5.img. i would type fastboot boot Coby-recovery-V5.img)

you'll now be booted into CWM and can make a backup of your stock tablet.

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
you'll need to have android sdk up and working...

have the clockworkmod recovery.img of your choosing copied to the platform-tools folder of android sdk. With your tablet on using the command prompt on your comp type:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

you'll now be in fastboot mode. make sure your comp and tablet can see each other.
Code:
fastboot devices

boot your recovery.img
Code:
(recovery.img is what ever you have it named in platform-tools folder, for example, mine is Coby-recovery-V5.img. i would type fastboot boot Coby-recovery-V5.img)

you'll now be booted into CWM and can make a backup of your stock tablet.

Is this the best or easy way to back up before I root? In other words do I need to do it this way, or is there a better way of doing this. Just root using SOC, and then install CWM and make a back up?

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
from your screen shot, it looks like flashing recovery worked. also, adb commands don't work while your tablet is in fastboot mode.

adb reboot recovery will work with your tablet on or if your keep hitting the command over and over while it powers on.

(your tablet will need to be in USB Debugging mode and will have to be able to boot at least to the boot animation)

Thanks. I have given up on it because it just keeps getting back into fastboot mode regardless of any options I try. So giving up on it because the tablet works for now when I reset it and don't want to end up bricking it for good with my experiments any more.
Cheers.

UPDATE: After a lot of trial and error - back and forth and following the tips on KTZ with the Snuffy recovery, am back in business. Thank you all for the support.

Last edited:

MitchGramazio

Jan 1, 2012
I received a refund from Groupon regarding my purchase. I decided to fork up an extra $100 for a Woot.com deal, Toshiba Thrive 10.1 16gb for $279.99.

kuzcomendi

Feb 8, 2012
For CWM where do I go if I dont have a backup. My tablet bootloop and i did a video to bring me to CWM and i dont have any backup to restore my tablet to normal.

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
i'm working on this, i've flashed a backup from another mid7127, It did work, however the screen is non responsive.

I'm trying a couple of things to try and get this working.