[Ultimate How To] Coby Kyros MID7127

MitchGramazio

Jan 1, 2012
What I don't understand is why can we access FWDN and Fastboot (successful on my side) but now CWM? Is there absolutely no Fastboot/FWDN thing we can do currently?

Edit: I am going to try something. I'm already pretty much screwed, so there's no harm I don't see.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
Hi

I have an unroooted 7127 with the market succesfully added, thank Kwa. It works fine until I try to download a larger app (like 20mb).. I get the message stating insufficient memory. I added android assistant, and apps 2 sd and have moved most of the apps to my sd card (I think) and the device appears to have PLENTY of memory and ram available, certainly more than 20mb.. what gives? My son is getting a bit disappoinnted, it was his xmas present : (

Any ideas? Is it necessary to root?

I have tried clearing all cache and rebooting, it doesn't help. I have 160mb free internal storage.

Has anyone been able to download an app larger than 20mb?

Thanks in advance

James

Last edited:

Trac

Dec 23, 2011
I'm Rooted :D

I installed the Android Market, but was still getting the driver error on Vista PC. Tried doing the SDK thing but nothing would install.
Then I went downstairs to work on it with a W7 PC. When I connected the Kyros there was no driver error. I didn't do a factory reset or anything, just added the Market, and there were no changes to the W7 PC. Whether or not that's what fixed it, I'm not sure, but ran SOC v2.3.1 and it worked with a forced driver message.

Now I'm curious if others with the same problem can get it to work on a W7 PC with Android Market installed first, and no factory reset.
Thanks a mill Kwa

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
well...
1) i installed 3 files on my sdcard when it was inserted into my laptop (flash_image, cwrecovery and recovery.zip) and inserted that card into the tablet
2) i opened up terminal emulator and typed in these commands:
$ su
# cat /dev/mtd/mtd6 > /sdcard/tflash/original_recovery.img
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system
# cp /sdcard/tflash/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image.img
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/tflash/cwrecovery.img

i then rebooted rebooted into recovery with quick reboot :)

everytime i tried to do this...it failed. this morning i typed in the commands, but left out:
reboot recovery and everything worked. coincidence? who knows, but it worked...FINALLY!!!

I am a total newbie to tablets and have precisely the same issue as you did and reached this page through google. Glad it worked for you but unfortunately I am still stuck and have absolutely no clue how to proceed with my MID-7012.

4bddn

Dec 27, 2011
I am a total newbie to tablets and have precisely the same issue as you did and reached this page through google. Glad it worked for you but unfortunately I am still stuck and have absolutely no clue how to proceed with my MID-7012.

thanks. im new to tablets as well, but i have flashed alot of roms on my phone...so this a natural progression :)

the key to me finally getting this to work was having all 3 files on the sdcard, and 2 programs. those programs are quick reboot and terminal emulator (make sure they are installed before your start). obviously, make sure your tablet is rooted (i used super one click...easy, painless and quick) and make sure superuser (it will auto install once you have rooted your tablet) has given rights to terminal emulator.

when you type out the commands, take your time and double check your spelling. the default keyboard sucks, so i had install a new keyboard in order to type good (thats another topic on how to do that!)

when youre typing out the commands, any error messages that come up are pretty easy to figure out. i kept coming up with "couldnt cp xxxxfile" or file xxx not found" etc...thats basically trial and error

once all the commands are in, finish with the command "end" and close the terminal window. use a program called quick reboot to reboot into recovery, and it should work :)

hope this helps

verethahogan

Dec 26, 2011
Will this work with coby 7120 tablet. I find your video very helpful in rooting the tablet. A lot more easier than some of the other I have seen or read. Thanks a lot

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
thanks. im new to tablets as well, but i have flashed alot of roms on my phone...so this a natural progression :)

the key to me finally getting this to work was having all 3 files on the sdcard, and 2 programs. those programs are quick reboot and terminal emulator (make sure they are installed before your start). obviously, make sure your tablet is rooted (i used super one click...easy, painless and quick) and make sure superuser (it will auto install once you have rooted your tablet) has given rights to terminal emulator.

when you type out the commands, take your time and double check your spelling. the default keyboard sucks, so i had install a new keyboard in order to type good (thats another topic on how to do that!)

when youre typing out the commands, any error messages that come up are pretty easy to figure out. i kept coming up with "couldnt cp xxxxfile" or file xxx not found" etc...thats basically trial and error

once all the commands are in, finish with the command "end" and close the terminal window. use a program called quick reboot to reboot into recovery, and it should work :)

hope this helps

Thanks mate. But all the steps went fine and the ONLY problem is while rebooting. Am at wit's end because NOTHING seems to do the trick.

The trick of using DroidExplorer also did not work for the reboot.

Even tried it from Log in also where the following additional steps were mentioned. Not working with the reboot recovery part (attaching screen shot of the same).

1) copy cwrecovery.img to fastboot directory in your sdk

2) boot into fastboot mode by holding both settings+power buttons while powering on the kyros 7012 device

3) wait for blue letters telling you the device is in fastboot mode (make sure you have fastboot correctly installed in your sdk)

4) connect your tablet to the pc using mini-usb cable, and run a dos command prompt and navigate to your sdk directory where fastboot is installed.

5) type dos commands:
Code:fastboot flash recovery cwrecovery.img
adb reboot recovery

DONE!!!
Just can't figure it out $MID-7012.jpg:confused:

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
from your screen shot, it looks like flashing recovery worked. also, adb commands don't work while your tablet is in fastboot mode.

adb reboot recovery will work with your tablet on or if your keep hitting the command over and over while it powers on.

(your tablet will need to be in USB Debugging mode and will have to be able to boot at least to the boot animation)

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
Hey Trac. So after you rooted you tablet using the SOC, did you flash a new recovery image? Or any Roms? Or are you. Just leaving the OTA running, and how does it run?

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum

Trac

Dec 23, 2011
Hey Trac. So after you rooted you tablet using the SOC, did you flash a new recovery image? Or any Roms? Or are you. Just leaving the OTA running, and how does it run?

Just OTA. It has a few problems, but I havnt worked with it yet. It doesnt stay in standby, and the browser freezes occationally. I need to try some new apps for apps killer, browser, and battery.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum

rpods

Dec 26, 2011
i'd go ahead and install CWM, make a back-up (for the just incase moments) and then do a factory reset. i've also found that switching launchers (launcher pro or go launcher speed things up alot)

lastly, i just flashed a clean up from CWM recovery that deleted ALL BLOAT. I'll have a link to that on the first page here in a min.

Okay, so I finally got around to following your steps above and it kind of blew up in my face. I did the back up then did a factory reset through CWM. After the reset I could not get my WI FI to connect and my home button would not work. Luckily you advised me to do a back up and I was able to restore and now it works like it did. One thing I noticed was that it left alot of the files on the tablet after reset but the apps were gone. Did I do the reset wrong? Any suggestions? Maybe just run the clean up and see how that works?

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
Just OTA. It has a few problems, but I havnt worked with it yet. It doesnt stay in standby, and the browser freezes occationally. I need to try some new apps for apps killer, browser, and battery.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum

My tablet is not rooted and I have the issue with standby, and for some strange reason I lost my lock screen. If I leave my tablet alone in standby the screeen will come on by its self over and over. I am thinking of backing up my apps and do a reset. I would love to root just to use my CPU clocker and other root only apps. I also have the issue of apps killing my batt that I did not use they just start up on there own.

jenbertolino

Jan 18, 2012
Hi all! I'm not sure this is the right thread but I have a 8127 and my son put a finger pattern lock on it. Of course, he forgot the pattern. How can I reset or unlock it? Thanks for your patience. I'm new here and to tablets.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011