[Ultimate How To] Coby Kyros MID7127

coriwill

Jan 20, 2012
Hi! Please help! This slick new tablet seems fabulous other than not having the ability to go straight to the android apps; and for a non-techie person like me, I'm not sure what rooting is or what order to do anything in.
So from reading a bit, I'm thinking I need to 1st root & then download the android market, right??

I tried TheKWA's advice & attempted to follow the video (wonderful touch btw) on how to "root (whatever that means) but at the very 1st step of downloading the "superclick" to my pc, it downloaded a downloader (iLivid Download Manager) and then when I google SuperOneClick V2.3.2 and start to go through it's now going to download "7 zip". Is this right??? I don't want to screw up my PC. Thanks!!

jtjetj13

Jan 22, 2012
ok i have no idea what to do... my son had my 7127 and now nothing works on it. it doesnt light up. only thing that it does is the touch buttons stay lit up any ideas?

thanks

MitchGramazio

Jan 1, 2012
ok i have no idea what to do... my son had my 7127 and now nothing works on it. it doesnt light up. only thing that it does is the touch buttons stay lit up any ideas?

thanks

Wait for the battery to die, then plug it in. If nothing happens still (the only thing that lights up are the capacitive keys), you MID7127 is probably bricked. If no bootscreen shows (Coby NOR Android), you probably bricked it. This happened to mine. Luckily, I had only purchased mine recently and sent it back to the factory. Waiting on a reply on the status of the tablet.

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
AMAZING NEWS!!!!

I just unbricked my MID7127!!!! (you'll need Android SDK for this) Use the recovery.img of your choosing and use this code in command prompt
Code:
fastboot boot <recovery.img>

then restore one of your backups, that's it!

Dilbert73

Jan 23, 2012
I got my son the 7127 for Christmas. As a 9y.o. is prone to do, he set a fingerswipe password and can't remember it. I have been searching here and elsewhere for two days on how to do a factory reset on this device. Everyone on here keeps talking about doing factory resets, but I can't find actual instructions. In frustration, I called Coby tech support today and actually told me that there is NO factory reset on a 7127. They told me that I would need to submit a request on their website and ship the unit back to them to fix. SERIOUSLY!?! Please tell me that isn't true. I'm a moderate techie, and I refuse to believe I can't fix such a simple problem without mailing it back to the manufacturer. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I got my son the 7127 for Christmas. As a 9y.o. is prone to do, he set a fingerswipe password and can't remember it. I have been searching here and elsewhere for two days on how to do a factory reset on this device. Everyone on here keeps talking about doing factory resets, but I can't find actual instructions. In frustration, I called Coby tech support today and actually told me that there is NO factory reset on a 7127. They told me that I would need to submit a request on their website and ship the unit back to them to fix. SERIOUSLY!?! Please tell me that isn't true. I'm a moderate techie, and I refuse to believe I can't fix such a simple problem without mailing it back to the manufacturer. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Factory reset is done in recovery, is your tablet rooted?

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
with what i know, you'd need to have android sdk set up on your computer, you'd have to use adb and/or fastboot to fix this issue

Dilbert73

Jan 23, 2012
I'm not familiar with those products, but I'm a quick learn. I can do that from my laptop only, since I don't have access to tablet at this point?

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
AMAZING NEWS!!!!

I just unbricked my MID7127!!!! (you'll need Android SDK for this) Use the recovery.img of your choosing and use this code in command prompt
Code:
fastboot boot <recovery.img>

then restore one of your backups, that's it!

That's awesome I'm glad you were able to fix your tablet. Its great news for the people that worry what to do if they brick there Coby.

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012
Question?
As everything I have been reading on here I have gathered that I can root my COBY MID8127. Butt there are no Rome that can be safely loaded onto it. Wichita is ok, for now I just want root access so I can use some rooted only apps. My question is using the SOC method, can I or should I first load clockwork first? And how do I make a back up of my stock recovery just invade. Do I use clockwork to go this and then root it?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum

MitchGramazio

Jan 1, 2012
yes, do you have android sdk up and running? did you ever make a backup?

I actually managed to make my condition worse by attempting to do what you did. I tried it with a stock recovery from another tablet (yeah, I know) and it got stuck at the formatting part. I believe the entire RAM of the tablet was cleaned. I would turn it on and nothing appears. Nothing. Not even Android or Coby. The capacitive buttons lit up too. I sent it to where I purchased it from as arriving in defective condition.