[Updated 7/5][KERNEL 1.2] LBS Overclocked Honeycomb Kernel for Viewsonic Gtablet

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
WARNING: TRYING TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR VIEWSONIC MAY LEAVE THE DEVICE IN A BRICKED STATE. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE NVFLASH BEFORE TRYING THIS INCASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG AND YOU NEED OR WANT TO GO BACK TO THE VIEWSONIC STOCK TNT ROM.

What we offer here is a new way to keep you in full control of your tablet. Our 1.8 Honeycomb Kernel offers Speed, Reliability, and new added features. This kernel is a spin off of the Pershoot Honeycomb Kernel Source Code & want to thank Pershoot for all his work on the kernel already. You do not have to Flash your device or even update to a different ROM to feel the benefits of the Linux Box Solution Honeycomb Kernel

Updating to the Linux Box Solution Honeycomb Kernel couldn't be easier. No wiping of User/Data is necessary. If you are already running a Honeycomb ROM then your good to go. This kernel was designed for Tegra 2, Harmony Board based devices. The LBS 1.8 Honeycomb Kernel has only been tested on a Viewsonic Gtablet. If any other developers with the Specified Tegra 2 & Harmony Board based devices wants to give this Overclocked Powerhouse a try please give me your feedback once you have tested it out.

Features as of Version 3.2:

Increased Kernel Cache Sizes from 256kb to 512kb
Improved Stability
Overclocking (Kernel is Overclockable to 1.4Ghz)
USB Mass Storage ( If your favorite Honeycomb ROM doesn't offer USB Mass Storage drop this Kernel in and Full Support is there)
Improved Video Play (HD is still not working but normal Video Playback is improved

Git Hub Source Location: https://github.com/linuxboxsolution/LBSGtab

Download Link:

LBS 3.2 Tegra 2 Harmony Honeycomb Kernel: LBS 3.2 Honeycomb Kernel for Tegra 2 Harmony Devices (Increased Cache Sizes for Improved Stablitiy)
LBS 1.9.2 Honeycomb Kernel: LBS 1.9.2 Honeycomb Kernel For Gtablet (Wifi configuration changes to help people with wifi connectivity issues)
LBS 1.8 Honeycomb Kernel: Linux Box Solutions Viewsonic Gtablet Honeycomb Kernel 1.8 (Initial Release)

1. Download the zip file for the Kernel Version you want to the Root of your SDCARD Partition.

2. Rename file to update.zip

3. Reboot Tablet into Recovery Mode (When Tablets Off hold 'Power' Button and 'Volume +' Button at Same time till Recovery Mode is Shown On Screen)

4. Using Volume -/+ to navigate the Clockwork Mod Menu go to apply /sdcard/update.zip

5. Once Installation of New Kernel is done Reboot the Tablet & Enjoy your newly found Feature Set and Performance Improvements

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Gonna give this a try now...will let you know my results!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So.....had to go back to the stock BoS kernel. After installing it I lost the ability to connect to WiFi completely.

The install went good with no errors though!

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
Was the wifi on but not scanning anything, or did it actually see the wifi and you just couldn't connect?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Wifi On, Scanning...could not see the networks. Once I restored back via CWM connected immediately.

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
I believe it has to do with the /lib/modules/bcm4329.ko it doesn't always overwrite the old one.

downfall1982

Jun 24, 2011
(no wifi) manually replacing the files then fixing permission doesn't work neither. hell of a lot faster kernel by watching the dmesreg /boot. maybe needs a script to remove the old files including maybe some others that might be interfering? especially if updating from another rom beside illuminate.

Last edited:

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
(no wifi) manually replacing the files then fixing permission doesn't work neither. hell of a lot faster kernel by watching the dmesreg /boot. maybe needs a script to remove the old files including maybe some others that might be interfering? especially if updating from another rom beside illuminate.

I will release a new version tonight of the kernel tonight that I will make sure works correctly. But yes the kernel is faster on boot and through quadrant testing and other benchmarking tools

downfall1982

Jun 24, 2011
yay, was going to test with anchu or something and put it through the paces see if i can break. i'm not a develper but i am able to compile and break stuff lol, thank man. Also I posted a question in another famous rom forum about using gnash as a developer how difficult is it to release a update with that into it? and would it even be worth while? i've read the wiki on how to a little beyond my capabilities and available time. i mean it's not like adobe is going to release there version anytime soon, heck google i think now i kinda regretting making android opensource. also got another question does wifi work for ( nvflash 4349 --> iluminate 2.0 --> 1.8 kernal ) update process?

nm i just re-read alot of stuff 1.8 kernel is in 2.0

but if you get that wifi fix i'll buy you a beer and a pack of cigs.

Last edited:

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
Lol I will be putting out a new kernel later today hopefully it will overclock to 1500 Ghz not just 1400

downfall1982

Jun 24, 2011
okay havent broke it yet seems pretty stable getting consistent lower 4800 on Antutu the SD (using class 6) & 3D speed are alot higher up (by between 50-100pts) from BOS and Flash back but lower in cpu interger, 2d, & io especially io on flash back i remeber gettin between 73-85 now i'm getting 60-62 & 2d was up in the lower 200's now in the upper 100'. Could be me because i took alot of xoom and acer librarys from there updates and if they weren't in my system i copied them over lol.

side note what's with all these even number over clocks? min i have 216mhz (don't know the core clock rate) shouldn't they be mulitples of that? like 216*5 =1080 then 216*5.5 then 216*6.0? or it doesn't matter and it's just me who likes even multipliers lol.

But everything seems solid even market is functioning normal app haven't uninstalled on reboots, now going for the video game testing now, up til now every rom has hiccuped on drift champ and gofd2 and contract killer will post my results in a bit.

oh PPS instead of doing a fryo or gingerbread do a ubuntu full none of this chroot or emulated stuff. maybe can add it to the poll? sorry been bored lol.

Last edited:

downfall1982

Jun 24, 2011
update works perfect now though i am having difficulties with with large games like contract kill and gof2 they keep crashing and the interface (sorry dont know what they call it in android linux its the x-server windows its explorer). then if i restart the freezes at the boot / 2nd splash screen and i have to do a wipe cache. trying different methods of installing : nv2.2 > bos6a > 1.9; then nv2.2 > illuminate2 >1.9; then > then nv2.2 >bos6a > flashback >1.9 ; then nv2.2. >bos6a > fb4.1 > 1.9; right now testing nv2.2 > bos6a >fb4.1>illuminate>1.9 (i know not really nesscary but i thinking kernel updates). but the results seem the same issues with heavy gl or large games even riptide has a few hiccups. with the new kernel though i do got to say the ui before the crashes seem faster more smoother like my ipod.

downfall1982

Jun 24, 2011
Same results, though the best scores/performance comes from nv2.2 > illuminate 2.0 > kernel 1.9

Sent from my Android Illuminate using Android Tablet Forum

Note: data io is really low 30-60 but everything else is smooth
Also storage is now showing in bytes not gb

Seems to stablize with time as cache builds

Antutu 4989-5012 now
Quadrant 2417 +/-20

Only 1 core is registering not both?! Is this a kernel issue? Or software?

Last edited: