Upgrading to Android 3.0

scttech

Feb 18, 2011
I currently have the 10.1" Android Google Tablet (aPad) with Google’s Android 1.5 operating system. However, I would like to upgrade to the latest OS: Honeycomb, or Android 3.0. I have two questions on this:

1) Given my tablet mentioned above, will it support the new 3.0 Operating System?
2) If so, how do I go about doing the upgrade? Any instructions (pdf links, other site URLs) appreciated. I haven't had luck in finding the answer to these questions, so I'm looking forward to answers here in androidtablets.net!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Honeycomb has not been released yet, so you cannot actually upgrade to it. The only Honeycomb versions out there are SDK based ports, that are not really the true OS build.

The most current OS is 2.3 or Gingerbread, which is still only available on some platforms, the most common versions currently available are going to be 2.1 (Eclair) or 2.2 (Froyo).

Finally, we do need a little more info on your current tablet to know for sure if you are upgradable, do you know what processor or model your tablet is? aPad is a little too generic as there are a lot of companies making tablets and calling them that.

Hope this helps.

scttech

Feb 18, 2011
pbrauer: Below are my tablet specifics (See Also). Is there an ETA on 3.0?

• CPU: HW-1100
  • FSB: RAM11 600Mhz
  • Memory: DDR2 128MB
  • Nandflash: MLC Nand 2GB
  • Extended TF Card; U-Disk
  • LCD display: 10.1 inch TFT display, 1024*600
  • Internet: Built in Ethernet: Support WIFI, USB Port
  • Solution For 3G Module
  • USB for Web Camera
  • I/O Ports DC in
  • Earphone
  • Support Most 16GB TF Card
  • 1*USB 2.0 Host port
  • Touch scree Resistive
  • Audio: Built in stereo speakers 1w*2
  • Built in mono recorder
  • LED indicators Power; charging
  • Key-press: Power on /off 1 key
  • Volume: 2key
  • ESC: 1 key
  • Max battery time: Wifi on: 5 hours; Wifi off: 7 hours
  • Power adapter: 220V Input 9V DC Output, 2A
  • Product dimension: 270mm×180mm×15mm
  • Software Description Remarks
  • OS Android 1.5
  • Office File reading programs Word viewer
  • Excel Viewer
  • Powerpoint Viewer
  • PDF Viewer
  • Image Viewer
  • Editing programs Microsoft Wordpad
  • Microsoft SpreadExcel
  • Messengers QQ,MSN
  • Internet Explore Internet Explorer
  • Audio MP3 playing
  • WAV playing
  • WMA playing
  • AAC,AAC+ playing
  • WAV,WMA recording
  • Vedio 1080P MP4 playing
  • 1080P AVI (XVID,H.263,DIVX )
  • 1080P MKV playing
  • 1080P 3GP playing
  • 1080P RMVB,RM playing
  • Image JPEG image
  • GIF image
  • Games 3D games
  • Languages Support multi language

Last edited:

Obssesed

Feb 18, 2011
Mine is the mid7015 coby kyros I sure would like to upgrade from the 2.1 android os to the current one any help

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Please don't hijack threads.

There is plenty of information in the coby section about why we can't upgrade to another android version yet.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
the HW-1100 is a pretty common china CPU for tablets right now, i honestly don't know what the upgrade path is. I am pretty sure that you can run at least 2.1 on it however.

as far as the release date for 3.0, the SDK is out and there is a lot of buzz on it, i think the full release is expected in March.

scttech

Feb 18, 2011
pbrauer: Thanks for your assistance. If anyone has a procedure on upgrading to a new OS (files & procedure), please let me & the forum know.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It isn't straightforward for this tablet. The highest for RK2808 seen to be workable is Android 2.2, but you lose features as you go up since they are user-ports. You device has been abandoned by the manufacturer, so it is up to you to figure out what you can do for it.

brettjameson

Jun 27, 2011
the HW-1100 is a pretty common china CPU for tablets right now, i honestly don't know what the upgrade path is. I am pretty sure that you can run at least 2.1 on it however.

as far as the release date for 3.0, the SDK is out and there is a lot of buzz on it, i think the full release is expected in March.

why ask for his equipment info when you had no path for an upgrade to begin with. why do people like you reply to posts that you haven't the knowledge to answer. he wasn't asking if you maybe knew or what a good guess was on the topic.