Uploading 'digital copies' of movies to tablets

gregrocco

Mar 22, 2012
I bought my kids each a Vizio tablet for Christmas and they're really enjoying them, but one thing I can't figure out is how to use digital copies of movies on the tablet. What I'm talking about is the digital copies that come with some dvds. They state that all you have to do is upload them to your computer and then you can transfer them to your device. I've done this with a couple of different movies and get an error message each time and the movie won't play. The only movie files I've been able to play on their tablets are those downloaded from torrents, but those of course aren't the best quality, and they also aren't something I want to be deal with, quite honestly. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I think as far as I am aware, you are limited in choices. Unless the Digital Rights of the copy allow transfer using Windows Media Player, you will be out of luck. Some Digital copie can be moved to mobile device that way. Digital copies are really designed for PCs and Macs. It is the Digital Rights Manager. Otherwise, you are stuck with Ripping, which completely ruins the reason/purpose and ease of a digital copy.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I bought my kids each a Vizio tablet for Christmas and they're really enjoying them, but one thing I can't figure out is how to use digital copies of movies on the tablet. What I'm talking about is the digital copies that come with some dvds. They state that all you have to do is upload them to your computer and then you can transfer them to your device. I've done this with a couple of different movies and get an error message each time and the movie won't play. The only movie files I've been able to play on their tablets are those downloaded from torrents, but those of course aren't the best quality, and they also aren't something I want to be deal with, quite honestly. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have most of my movies stored on 'The Brick'... a 1TB USB drive that I can take anywhere... I will see if the copies I made are compatible with my tablet (Android 2.2-of-some-variation-or-other) and let you know what happens...
Obviously your Visios are far fancier than my 'cheap Chinese junk' tablet but we'll see... :D

EDIT:
After downloading a copy of MX Video Player I was able to run a copy of ICE AGE transferred to 4Gb TF card. I used DVD Shrink to strip the menuing,etc and with other abilities of the program it fits with 'not quite' a gig remaining...
Kinda jerky on my pathetic SP1, but it looks great and when not fullscreened it does quite well.... for cheap Chinese junk. :p

Getting a small-enuf copy onto media will be your big challenge... but that is likely it! :D

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

You are not doing anything wrong.

The Digital Copies you get with DVDs are mostly Apple-only. If you look on the back of the DVD case, it might list Windows Media/Plays for Sure, but not for Android.

Recently they started coming out with VUDU and UltraViolet, which work different, and those you might be able to transfer over, but your best bet would be to simply convert the movies you have, and ignore the Digital Copies completely.

There are some (pricy) programs out there that can "convert" Digital Copy movies, but they simply play and record the movie on your computer, which usually results in lower quality video than if you would convert the movie yourself.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
DVD Shrink was free... at least when I downloaded it last... Of course it needs 'help' with the more elaborate encryptions.
:)

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Uh... yeah. I realized I was doing the apple/orange thing once I woke up this AM...
Since I havent bought any of the combo paks Im somewhat behind on things... as usual. :rolleyes:

I found that DIVX copies also work well, and run 'natively' on the video player that comes with Android...
Also an apple/orange thing, (maybe nectarine/orange?)
:D

D

dvdcatalyst

Uh... yeah. I realized I was doing the apple/orange thing once I woke up this AM...
Since I havent bought any of the combo paks Im somewhat behind on things... as usual. :rolleyes:

I found that DIVX copies also work well, and run 'natively' on the video player that comes with Android...
Also an apple/orange thing, (maybe nectarine/orange?)
:D

:)

You are lucky with DIVX playing in the default player. Unfortunately not all of them do that, but of course there's MX/Dice that will work with those.

For the Digital Copies, it is mostly an Apple thing, oranges and nectarines are left in the dark with those :)

three.danes

May 1, 2012
i have movies that i have converted but now i have no idea how to get them to my asus tablet please help