USB 3g/broadband?

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
hi acer community!

just wondering if the a500 is able to use a USB 3g/broadband? I know probably someone already posted about this. and Im sorry if I couldn't find it. Thanks though! :)

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Not the A500; its counterpart, the A501 will be carried by ATT.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Raven, he is talking about a plug in USB 3G modem like this one or This one, not an internal SIM card for 3G.

As far as I know, no one has gotten one of these modems to work yet, but perhaps with 3.1 there will be more USB devices honored for those that don't want to get a full time 3g card for their acer when the 501 becomes available.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I've heard the 3.1 update supports a lot more USB devices, so it might resolve the problem.

Connectivity for USB accessories
Android 3.1 adds broad platform support for a variety of USB-connected peripherals and accessories. Users can attach many types of input devices (keyboards, mice, game controllers) and digital cameras. Applications can build on the platform’s USB support to extend connectivity to almost any type of USB device. The platform also adds new support for USB accessories — external hardware devices designed to attach to Android-powered devices as USB hosts. When an accessory is attached, the framework will look for a corresponding application and offer to launch it for the user. The accessory can also present a URL to the user, for downloading an appropriate application if one is not already installed. Users can interact with the application to control powered accessories such as robotics controllers; docking stations; diagnostic and musical equipment; kiosks; card readers; and much more. The platform’s USB capabilities rely on components in device hardware, so support for USB on specific devices may vary and is determined by device manufacturers.

Also, I've heard that a 3G tablet will be out near the end of summer possibly.