USB Puzzle

J_Waller

Nov 12, 2011
This is not a problem so much as it is an inconvenience, when I use the USB adaptor, usually have to reboot to get the system to see it. There are no problems, once it is seen. But, is there a way to get it to see the drive without rebooting, maybe a utility that scans system like on a PC??

Thanks,
John Waller

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
No utility I'm aware of other than what the tablet has already. Have you tried going to settings > storage > mount?

J_Waller

Nov 12, 2011
No utility I'm aware of other than what the tablet has already. Have you tried going to settings > storage > mount?

I do not have a mounting option, I can unmount the SD card, there is no way for me to mount anything else. Presumably, if I did not have an SD card, there might be a mount option, but, I do not know...

As I say, this is just an inconvenience since I can just reboot the system, but, it would be nice to not have to :)

Thanks,
John Waller

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is odd, I had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 7 plus, but my Note 10.1 sees, for instance, a thumb drive immediately when attached with the usb adapter. I plug the thumbdrive into the adapter before I insert the adapter into my Note, if you haven't tried this it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I plug the thumbdrive into the adapter before I insert the adapter into my Note, if you haven't tried this it might be worth a shot.

Hopefully, that'll work. My TV does the same thing with HDMI devices. If I switch it to HDMI input with the device turned off, I get No Signal on my screen and turning the device on then doesn't change it. If the device is turned on first, the picture appears instantly when I switch the TV.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Suggestion:

First plug the USB stick into the adaptor then plug the adaptor into the tablet. Your file manager will pop up. Hit STORAGE on the left hand column of screen then hit the usbDriveA... in the right hand column to browse the usb stick/thumbdrive.
When you want to remove the usb stick and adaptor, touch the usb symbol next to the clock display in the bottom right hand corner of screen. This will unmount the drive.

You must unmount the drive - failure to do so will result in you having to turn the tablet off to refresh the tablet. It will get confused. Remember, it is not WINDOWS where you can just pull the stick out.

Douvie.

PS: I just tried it several times works without fail :p

Last edited:

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Suggestion:

First plug the USB stick into the adaptor then plug the adaptor into the tablet. Your file manager will pop up. Hit STORAGE on the left hand column of screen then hit the usbDriveA... in the right hand column to browse the usb stick/thumbdrive.
When you want to remove the usb stick and adaptor, touch the usb symbol next to the clock display in the bottom right hand corner of screen. This will unmount the drive.

You must unmount the drive - failure to do so will result in you having to turn the tablet off to refresh the tablet. It will get confused. Remember, it is not WINDOWS where you can just pull the stick out.

Douvie.

PS: I just tried it several times works without fail :p

I have always used the above method of connecting my USB drive to my Note 10.1 and for a while it worked flawlessly. But recently, the last few months or so, it's been a bit flakey. Now I only get a popup message that says "USB connector is connected" even though the USB drive is already attached to the connector when I plug the connector into my Note. At first this happened intermittently but now it's everytime. I found that if I restart the tablet with the connector and USB drive still attached that the tablet will then recognize the USB drive and I can access my files with My Files or File Manager HD. It's an inconvenient pain but at least it works.

Auntie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Try clearing the cache and the data cache of the MyFiles app and reboot. See if that makes a difference.

All it takes is to stuff it up once accidentally and your goose is cooked. Been there! Done that!

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Try clearing the cache and the data cache of the MyFiles app and reboot. See if that makes a difference.

All it takes is to stuff it up once accidentally and your goose is cooked. Been there! Done that!

I tried your suggestion and it worked :) Thanks! I'll have to remember in case the problem recurs.

Auntie

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Apparently this wasn't a permanent fix. I'm back to having to restart the tablet when using a USB drive. :'(

Auntie

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Do you first plug the USB stick into the adapter before inserting adpter into the NOTE? Or do you first plug the your into tablet and then USB Drive/stick into the adapter while its plugged into tablet?

What you're describing is what I had to do on my A500 before I figured out how to unmount correctly. Each time I removed the USB Stick from the tablet, just pulling it out, the A500 wouldn't recognize another USB Stick until I rebooted the tablet.

Another thing to consider is you need to wait until the USB Stick is ready to be removed. Even if you unmount it you'll need to wait a little while -even in WIN7/8 you'll still need to wait up to a minute before removing the USB stick. Yeah some people just pull them out - which can cause data loss.

Clear the data and the cache again. If you have a USB stick that has activity light. When it stops flashing it means that access to the stickhas cceased.Then its ready to be removed.

Last edited:

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
I have always plugged the USB stick into the adapter first.

Auntie