USB Wifi Dongle (Antena)

Richter

Sep 20, 2011
So I was doing some online research for getting a new USB Wifi dongle and came across this. I am considering getting it for my laptop so I can find more/pick up signal better at work... I mean.... ya ok, at work. LOL.

I found this and was wondering if it would help get better signal with my Acer A500 as well. I find the signal to get Wifi is very weak sometimes. Or, if you have any suggestions on ways to get better signal strength, then I'm all ears.

P.S. I already switched to static IP because I kept getting dropped all the time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

$40300110-01.jpg

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There are very few USB WiFi connections that will work with Android. Rather than trying to do something like that you might want to consider getting a booster or repeater for your existing WiFi. Most electronic stores have quite a few universal booster/repeaters. That way you can get the signal and keep your freedom of movement. It would ultimately be the best solution if you are in a fixed location like at home or at work.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
i think this will work well to leach off the networks u find freaking with ur acer.

Rather inappropriate don't you think? The policy is "treat others the way you would expect them to treat you."

I would not hack a WiFi belonging to someone else - unless expressly told that I can hook on to their network. I would expect the same of anyone else - if asked I would grant special access - controlled though.

And no it is not something this A500 user would see as acceptable behaviour.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Leeshor: any particular dongles that you know will work with the Icon is a500? When in hotels, I sometimes have to go to hallways, stairways etc. to get a connection, no freaking here, just the hotel signal (need to sign in) may not be up to par in all locations etc. Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Leeshor: any particular dongles that you know will work with the Icon is a500? When in hotels, I sometimes have to go to hallways, stairways etc. to get a connection, no freaking here, just the hotel signal (need to sign in) may not be up to par in all locations etc. Thanks.

If the problem is that you NEED to access WiFi and the signal isn't strong enough for your tablet you could get a personal, (portable) WiFi router that you could connect to the network hard wired. You could then get WiFi in the range of that router instead of the range of the hotel's router. You should still be able to open a browser and agree to the TOS.

I carry a MiFi cellular hotspot of my own so I can connect anywhere I have a cell signal. If I didn't have that, (it can be a little pricy but very flexible) I would consider tethering to my Android phone, but that would cost me extra too.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
If the problem is that you NEED to access WiFi and the signal isn't strong enough for your tablet you could get a personal, (portable) WiFi router that you could connect to the network hard wired. You could then get WiFi in the range of that router instead of the range of the hotel's router. You should still be able to open a browser and agree to the TOS.

I carry a MiFi cellular hotspot of my own so I can connect anywhere I have a cell signal. If I didn't have that, (it can be a little pricy but very flexible) I would consider tethering to my Android phone, but that would cost me extra too.
Just something I like to correct or rather verify concerning some earlier comments. As I understand it, MiFi is just a mobile/cell WiFi hotspots device which works in the same method as turning on the hotspots in the ANDROID phone.

I consider that a problem, if you carrying both an android phone and the MiFi, because you're paying for another 3G/4G device data plan. Best to get a good data plan with your phone. With my data plan, if I go over the limit, the speed gets shaped/slowed - basically means I don't have to worry about going over the limit.

And Leeshor you're right about the USB stick modems they do work. If you download the driver/app and root your tablet as well. I don't want to root my tablet and until they work without the need to root, I'll still consider that they don't work PNP (plug 'n play). That will be some way off in the future.

As to how far from your home you can still connect to your own "home WiFi" there is a device that is able to boost the signal 20km but how much this costs I'm not sure. I'll check the source again - I saw it in a electronics mag SILICON CHIP.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Just something I like to correct or rather verify concerning some earlier comments. As I understand it, MiFi is just a mobile/cell WiFi hotspots device which works in the same method as turning on the hotspots in the ANDROID phone.

I consider that a problem, if you carrying both an android phone and the MiFi, because you're paying for another 3G/4G device data plan. Best to get a good data plan with your phone. With my data plan, if I go over the limit, the speed gets shaped/slowed - basically means I don't have to worry about going over the limit.

While I agree with your statements the MiFi works out well for me. I have 3 phones that often use the MiFi and all are on a reduced data plan as a result which saves me some cash on all three. I can also connect as many as 5 devices at the same time at 4G speeds and still use my phone for other things, while surfing with my tablet, phone and/or laptop. It works well for me and the net coast due to the data plan savings on the phones isn't all that bad. I have used the MiFi in a conference room with 3 laptops connected and it was easy compared to trying to get the other people's laptops connected to my phone.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Just to add another tad of info. I carry 2 Android phones - I wouldn't want to carry another "3g". The two are just fine for me. Each to his/her own.

As soon as I find that 20km wifi, I'll take a shot and post it.