Used g tab help.

Desert

Aug 4, 2011
Hi, I bought a used g tab that's running tnt lite. The previous user's profile is still present. In other words, I'm getting his email, can post on his FB, etc. Can I only get rid of this by restoring factory settings? If I do this, do I have to attempt to re-load the ROM? And will I lose all his apps? Sorry, I'm a bit technically challenged. A step by step response would be much-appreciated. Thanks in advance!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi, I bought a used g tab that's running tnt lite. The previous user's profile is still present. In other words, I'm getting his email, can post on his FB, etc. Can I only get rid of this by restoring factory settings? If I do this, do I have to attempt to re-load the ROM? And will I lose all his apps? Sorry, I'm a bit technically challenged. A step by step response would be much-appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

While the "devil is in the details" here is a quick overview of what you can do:

(1) Download (and install) Titanium Backup from the market. The free version will work fine, but the paid version makes reinstalling apps a bit easier.
- Run TiB, and backup your apps (they will be backed up on the internal sdcard)
- Connect to a PC, and transfer the folder with backups to your PC

(2) Do a factory reset from the system menu.
- That will take the gTab back to a stock state (still TnT Lite).
- Your apps *should* be gone, so redownload TiB, and resintall your apps as needed
- Also go to "accounts" and set up your google/gmail info

That should work in the short run. However, as a proud, new gTab owner you can explore the process of installing custom ROMs, which requires two basic skills: (1) using nvflash to take your tablet back to a fully stock state (pretty much out-of-box), and (2) flashing (aka installing) custom ROMs, including versions that are based on Froyo (like TnT Lite), Gingerbread, and (MY FAVORITE!), Honeycomb. :)

I should stress that once you've mastered nvflash and installing ROMs, you will have frequent experience going into the gTab's recovery mode, and wiping or clearing out various parts of the tablet between installs. In other words, the steps I've outlined above are the quickest but not the most thorough way of "resetting" the gTab, but it will solve your immediate needs!

-Matt

Desert

Aug 4, 2011
Thank you! Somehow I knew you would suggest trying different ROMs. I don't think I'm that brave yet. :)

I need to purchase an SD card, then I'll try your remedy. Thanks again!!

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
You can use the internal memory
for the backup and transfer the Titanium backup files to your computer via Usb cable. The TiB backup file should remain present even after the factory reset, but copying it to your desktop is a good move.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Desert

Aug 4, 2011
Ok, so I got it switched over to me, however, when I try to download apps from the market, it indicates that all apps are incompatable with my g tab. Any ideas? Thanks!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ok, so I got it switched over to me, however, when I try to download apps from the market, it indicates that all apps are incompatable with my g tab. Any ideas? Thanks!
OK, time for the "market fix." :)

- Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications
- Select the All tab -> scroll down to Market and select

Select Force Stop, then Clear Cache, then Clear data

Give the Market another try (you'll need to accept the terms again)...you may also consider rebooting if it doesn't work on the first shot.

Other users have also done the same thing with "Google Services Framework" (you may see it listed twice in Applications).

Try just clearing out Market first, and update on us if it works!

-Matt