Using Flash Sticks on Sero 8

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
Has anyone been able to use a Flash Stick via an "On the go" cable on a Hisense Sero 8 Tablet?

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
Got a couple of OTG cables from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R6BD82/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_49
Mine weren't shipped from Hong Kong, though these are the ones I use.

I use them with an SD card reader, but they work just as well with my flash drives.
Only "problem" with my Sero 8 is a charging issue.

I am interested to find out if there are differences with the tablets sold in other countries to the U.K. For instance on my Motorola phone I have a heading in "Settings" to move photos etc. into the SD card; I can find no way of doing this on my tablet; It recognises the SD card and shows it empty.
I and a friend are having difficulty with getting the tablet to recognise any item plugged into the USB port using an "on the go" cable. Did you have to use any particular apps to do this or did it recognise items plugged into the USB port straight away? Is your phone loaded with Android 4.4.2 ? I am sorry for the questions, but I just don't seem to be able to do what other users are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Both my phone and Sero 8 are running 4.4.2. Don't know if there are differences, in the UK, but I'm willing to bet they're are and possibly significant.
The photos on my flash drive, connected with the OTG cable, show up in the gallery app and the documents show up in the office app.
My Motorola phone has no settings to move photos to an SD card. My preferred method of moving files is with the ES File Explorer, from the app store. I also use it to move files between devices by synching it with a Dropbox account.
Both the ES File Explorer and Dropbox are 2 apps that I'd suggest you add to your Sero 8 to help your file management.
Some of the more tech savy folks may have other ways, but these are the simplest for me.

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
Both my phone and Sero 8 are running 4.4.2. Don't know if there are differences, in the UK, but I'm willing to bet they're are and possibly significant.
The photos on my flash drive, connected with the OTG cable, show up in the gallery app and the documents show up in the office app.
My Motorola phone has no settings to move photos to an SD card. My preferred method of moving files is with the ES File Explorer, from the app store. I also use it to move files between devices by synching it with a Dropbox account.
Both the ES File Explorer and Dropbox are 2 apps that I'd suggest you add to your Sero 8 to help your file management.
Some of the more tech savy folks may have other ways, but these are the simplest for me.

Thank you for all your help. I have been onto Hisense support and they echo your comment that there is no setting to move photos etc onto SD card and they recommended Astro File Manager, but I have not yet managed to make any sense of this app. I will try your recommendations. I still can't get the tablet to recognise any form of USB storage, but I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Derek, I like the look and feel of the ES app, better. Can't remember if Astro has one, but ES has a small users manual under the Help button in the Settings menu.

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
Thanks again for all your help. I also found the instructions on the "estrongs.com" website, but found them very confusing. At least ES is easier to use than Astro and I have managed to transfer photos from the Tablet to the SD card, but the tablet still refuses to recognise any data via the OTG cable. I have sent another message to Hisense GB in the hope that they can assist further. I am beginning to wonder if my tablet is faulty.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Could be.
Here's a screen shot off of mine, of the ES, showing the USB storage.
Screenshot_2014-09-26-11-43-32.png

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
I thought that there was a charging problem, with mine, until I checked out several others. Determined that it was in the design itself. I had hoped that it would get corrected with an update.
Updated last night, but no correction. Still only recognizes AC charge as USB.

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
That more or less confirms I have a problem with my tablet, as it only displays the first 2 entries and fails to register the OTG cable and flash stick when it is attached. You have been most helpful. I now have an employee of Highsense GB, Chris, on my case and he is taking some tablets home for the weekend to see how they perform. He has promised to phone me again on Monday to let me know what to do next.
I do not seem to have any charging problems, except that on some occasions it fails to charge completely full, regardless of how long I leave it on charge; still this is a minor problem.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Each one that I've been able to check will only register USB charging instead of AC. Charges completely, just takes a while.
Hope Chris can come up with a solution for you.

Derek32

Sep 23, 2014
Further checks have revealed the it was more than one problem. The OTG cable i was using would work on my android phone, but not on the tablet. I visited a friend who had the same tablet and an OTG cable that worked. When I used his cable it worked sometimes, but was erratic; the female mini USB connection on the tablet does not always make contact. I have now purchased another OTG cable and all is well; this one appears to work properly. I did not get a reply from Chris, but to be fair I have been out quite a lot, so he may well have missed me and given up.