Using RCA Galileo Pro 11.5" While Charging On 12V DC

SFS

Jan 2, 2018
Hi all. We recently bought our first tablet, an RCA Galileo Pro 11.4" 2-in-1, for a ridiculously low price ($87 US). It's principal use will be to run an application (OpenCPN) that allows us to plan trips for our sailing excursions. Secondary use will be as a backup navigation display. We do some web surfing, but not much.

The tablet runs the app just fine, but the battery life is terrible (2 to 3 hours), so I would like to keep it plugged into a 12V DC socket on the boat while using it. However, the manual specifically says NOT TO USE THE DEVICE while charging on 12V DC. (It's apparently ok to use it while it charging from 120V AC). I really don't want to have to turn the thing off to charge it, then wait for it to reboot when I want to use it. I have unsuccessfully searched the web, and this website, for answers to the following questions, and the RCA site no longer lists this model. Here are my questions:

1) Why would this prohibition be in the manual?

2) Is this inability to charge on 12V DC (while actively using the tablet) common to ALL Android tablets?

3) IF I need to consider returning this to get a tablet I CAN use while charging on 12V DC, what inexpensive tablets (with internal GPS) are recommended? (We bought this primarily because the price point was so low, it was a relatively large screen size, and it was a 2-in-1). I would consider a dual core rather than quad core, to reduce power consumption. I will not be getting or needing cellular capability, as we have multiple phones.

Last edited:

SFS

Jan 2, 2018
Update: What the manual actually says (beside the picture of all the connecting slots on the side of the unit) is "Micro USB - (for charging at either OFF mode/Standby mode.)" I have interpreted that to mean while charging from 12V DC, as I can think of no other use for the Micro USB port.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Welcome, again, to the Android Tablet Forum, SFS.
You would also use the Micro USB port to connect your device to a USB hub on your computer to transfer files.

SFS

Jan 2, 2018
True enough, PitCarver. Can you answer either of the two original questions?

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
I didn't see the probation that you mentioned, in the manual. Perhaps I downloaded a different one...

I use my tablet while connected, in my car, via the USB. I don't know if the issue is that you have the ability to charge from 2 sources or not.

SFS

Jan 2, 2018
And now the plot thickens. I have looked at the manual online and, like you, I found no such prohibition. My wife informed me that the text I quoted in post #2 above came on a separate sheet of paper in the box, which I am now looking at. Further, in the quick start guide (a four page brochure shipped with the unit), the following text appears:

" *Micro USB port for charging at either OFF mode or Standby mode."

I guess I will call RCA tomorrow and try to get more info.