Velocity Micro Cruz Reader WIFI Problem

dmotorcade

Dec 22, 2010
I am a newbie to the forum so please go easy. I got a Cruz Reader today and tried for hours to connect to my WIFI. I updated the firmware, reset the device with the pin hole, called tech support, took off the WEP on my router, and nothing worked. I called tech support, held for 45 minutes and they told me to try all the things I already tried. Any suggestions? It shows my network in the list and shows excellent coverage but the WIFI automatically disconnects when I try to connect to it. Thanks.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
try connecting to different routers and see if that works? if it does then you know its your router if it still doesnt then you know its your tablet

gjbnh

Dec 10, 2010
Make sure the reader's wifi actually is working by going to some places and using the reader there. If it is still flaky and not working, it is a hardware problem most likey and you should return/exchange it.
If it does work, then the problem may be your router. If it works well at other places, then investigate that. Android can be really pickey about this. Try a different router at home.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Wouldn't you think that should be one of the things listed in the users guide? I had a Cruz Reader but gave it away. It was surprisingly good for browsing the web and reading. This was the R101.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Yes, I certainly think it's something that should be listed in the user's guide, but since it's not it's at least been brought up here so people who google for it might find the information at least. :D We've looked at this tablet seriously, because it has capacitive screen, but we've taken a pass each time Big Lots has had it on sale. It looks like it might be a decent device for the price. :)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Have you compared it with other tablets? The one I had only had Android 1.2 and the touch wasn't all that sensitive. But I only paid $80 for it on Woot and it had a pretty fast processor. It was excellent for reading. It sounds like they have upgraded it quite a bit since then. Not sure what version of Android they are currently using.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I think they have it possible to get 2.2 on the 301T's and maybe the T103's, not sure, but I think they include a 4GB sd card that has the update on it for buyers to install right out of the box. I don't know how well it physically compares, I am back to looking at 10" tablets again, and not sure on the 7" if my family would have been happy with either model I named above, we are looking for a media player power horse basically and I think it's gonna be a coby, though I might wait til the new ones are released with Android 4.0. The new coby's should be really sweet with 1 GB of RAM, and the 1 GHZ processor. I think the cruz tablets have a place in being an entry level tablet to get one's feet wet. But it might not be enough to keep someone's desires for what they want a MID to do appeased. Big Lots had a Special Edition Reader in the store that was $49 bucks, I knew nothing about it other then it showed 2.0 on it's box. Not sure even a model number because the box was in a case. If it makes you happy that's all that matters. The best thing it had going was the capacitive screen IMO. And the update to 2.2 (froyo) wasn't too bad, but the two Coby's in my signature have Gingerbread, 2.3 and we're looking to at least get that, if not higher on a budget machine. :)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
If you have settled on a 10" tablet co pare what you are looking at with the Acer A500. I would suggest you look at the Sony S because I think it is the best, but it is more then the Acer and that tablet looks awesome. Kinda depends on how much you want to spend. The A500 has had some really good sales prices. If you can wait until after Christmas, there might be somne really good deals then.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
That's the plan, I think, to wait until after Christmas for what we hope will be awesome sales on some tablets. :D

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I waited until the day after Christmas to buy my iPod Touch (darn santa) and haven't seen it that cheap since.

wilfrank2010

Jan 4, 2012
I am a newbie to the forum so please go easy. I got a Cruz Reader today and tried for hours to connect to my WIFI. I updated the firmware, reset the device with the pin hole, called tech support, took off the WEP on my router, and nothing worked. I called tech support, held for 45 minutes and they told me to try all the things I already tried. Any suggestions? It shows my network in the list and shows excellent coverage but the WIFI automatically disconnects when I try to connect to it. Thanks.

I took off the back of my cruz and there's a little gold arm that connects to the WIFI and it was off....Once i connected it the WIFI has been very strong and it doesnt disconnect anymore....

wilfrank2010

Jan 4, 2012

Take the back off of the Cruz Reader and on the top of the reader theres a litte gold arm with a black wire attched...that's the WIFI connector
makes sure its connected.....mine did the same....I connected it back and now it works and great with no disconnects...

N4RPS

Mar 4, 2012
Yes, I certainly think it's something that should be listed in the user's guide, but since it's not it's at least been brought up here so people who google for it might find the information at least. :D We've looked at this tablet seriously, because it has capacitive screen, but we've taken a pass each time Big Lots has had it on sale. It looks like it might be a decent device for the price. :)

Hello, All!

I picked up a T301 at Big Lots for $80 last night. It came with 2.0 installed, but no SD card. I had to buy one. They have an update to 2.2 on the Cruz support website. I went ahead and modded it to put Android Market on it, which slows it down somewhat. The biggest bummers about it are that it won't run Adobe Flash Player, nor will it do ad hoc WiFi or WPA - it's strictly WEP and infrastructure only. They say there's a way to change the WiFi, but I haven't been able to make it work yet.