Velocity Micro Cruz

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
OK, I finally heard back from Velocity Micro since I was questioning the processor and whether their tablet is indeed a rebranded tablet designed and built in China. If you noticed on their website, it mentions that these were designed by their own engineers. Here is their response:

"We still haven’t released the processor, although I think we will soon. I’ll pass that info along to you when I have it. The Cruz is not simply a rebranding of an existing Chinese tablet. We designed both the hardware and software from the ground up to meet what we think will be consumers’ needs."

This makes us hopeful. However, the fact that the processor has not been release is a concern. We can only hope that we are not disappointed with an average processor. As Xaueious mentioned, we could be looking at a ARMv11. As soon as I hear back from Velocity Micro, I will report back on this specific thread.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you know how much US engineers charge compared to the Chinese, I wouldn't so gung ho about that at all.

Rebranding or not. It's not really that different. Manufactuers are going to grab a working version of Android from the chipset manufacturer, and throw it onto their devices with minor modifications. That's every single Android tablet on the market. Having US engineers is meaningless. The Android implementation is not something I'm worried about for most chipsets.

dsf767

May 20, 2010
I so want to get this device. I don't understand how its a good marketing strategy not to release the processor info. I mean ven if its ARM 11 I may order but I just want to know and I can't in good faith order a product I don't know the main spec of.

theman2

Aug 2, 2010
I so want to get this device. I don't understand how its a good marketing strategy not to release the processor info. I mean ven if its ARM 11 I may order but I just want to know and I can't in good faith order a product I don't know the main spec of.
Well, since they are showing that it will be available at many retailers, just wait for the product to be launched and you should be able to pick it up in stores.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
cruz readers were at newegg.com today for 169.99 free shipping..slate droid has hacks for google apps too..Write up at newegg says that the battery is replaceable..plus for long air flights..video limited to ipod mp4 format or you get stutters..
I heard that there having trouble with the us bound tablets..that why no release on any with 2.2 (archos, cruz and others)

ta2025

Oct 28, 2010
The specs tell me that it is very likely to be a Telechips TCC8902 variant, which is ARM11 and same as what's in the Augen Gentouch

You will be paying $50 more for a possibly working accelerometer and a better touch screen.

that would be grand! Worth every penny.

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
The Best Buys reportedly got in about 3 per store. I picked mine up 11/4. I'm still learning it and Android. It came with a 4 gig SD card and a 8gig SD card.

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
did anyone ever find out what the processors were in these? my brother in law is looking into getting the reader (r101) but i don't want him to get stuck with something that's not gonna meet what he wants.

he's looking to have something to surf, light games(mostly web based), and email.

I'm thinking that there are better devices for the money.

I was thinking maybe the

Apad 710 Rockchip 600MHz android 2.1 4GB trackball HDMI 720p+FREE HDMI CABLE

any opinions or more info on these tablets