ViewSonic launches world's first dual boot tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTcee

Oct 13, 2010
655350_19621_350w279h_big.jpg

» Forward » Permalink

Forward to friend: Enter the details of who you'd like to forward this News Item Your name
RequiredRecipient's name
RequiredRecipient's email
Required
Does not look like an email address
Add a message to send -
I saw this on TelecomTV.com and thought of you - Click on the link below to view

Embed:

Permalink:

ViewSonic launches world's first dual boot tablet

Posted By TelecomTV One , 28 October 2010 | 0 Comments |
starOn.gif
starOn.gif
starOn.gif
starOn.gif
starOn.gif
(1)
Tags: ViewPad ViewSonic tablet
ViewSonic launched two new tablets: the ViewPad 7 and what's being claimed as the world's first dual boot tablet, the ViewPad 10. Leila Makki reports.

The ViewPad 10 tablet device not only wins bragging rights for its dual boot capability but thanks to its Intel Atom 1.66GHz processor, may very well be the "fastest Android tablet available right now," or so says ViewSonic. The 10-inch capacitive touch-screen display runs both Android 1.6 and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium.

There's a G-sensor (basically an accelerometer) built into the device with multi-touch and pinch to zoom. However, the ViewPad 10 only has a front-facing 1.3 megapixel webcam for videoconferencing and limited functionality with the dated Android 1.6 OS.

The ViewPad 7 is a sleeker tablet running the latest Android 2.2 operating system.
Advertisement

The seven-inch capacitive multi-touch touchscreen comes with full 3G phone capability with a full size SIM card slot. It also features built-in Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPRS and comes with both a front-facing VGA camera and a back-facing three megapixel camera.

For those who feel there are already too many devices piling up in their stuff drawer, ViewSonic has introduced an upgrade scheme where consumers can trade in old hardware like netbooks and laptops and receive up to £125 off a new tablet. The upgrade programme is only available for the Viewpad from participating retailers. Go to Home :: ViewSonic to learn more.

The ViewPad 7 will retail for £399 expected to hit stores on 15 November whereas the ViewPad 10 will be available at £499 from the 1st November.

TelecomTV | News | ViewSonic launches world's first dual boot tablet#

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Hmmm an Intel Atom running Android 1.6 OR a Qualcomm 7227 running Froyo? Hrpmh.. ooh well maybe someone will make something nicer. The 7" piqued my interest until I pulled the specs and saw no HDMI out and hardware wise, aside from the 512 Meg RAM, is a giant HTC Hero. The price is ridiculous as well. Ohh well here's hoping Archos, Elocity, Asus and Acer deliver this month.

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
Waiting for more goodies to be launch.... looks like november is going to be a good month for everybody to launch before Christmas ;-)

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I want to know what driver support and video playback support Viewsonic managed to muster in this Android x86 build. If it works good, it's a milestone!

cmhdiamond

Oct 19, 2010
Yes, this is the one in the Sears ad. Currently available for $379.99.
By the way, according to the Sears website, it is currently on "pre-order", but they list the release date as 11/2/10.

Last edited:

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
Hmmm, why does it even speak of a Snapdragon processor on Sears website then turn around and talks about the Intel process in the description.

I don't really want a window based tablet, but man why is it soooo cheap? That's very tempting to want to buy.

cmhdiamond

Oct 19, 2010
Even more curious is this report from cnet that just showed up this morning: Crave, the gadget blog - CNET
They report that the ViewPad 10 is "due out early 2011 for $629".
Yet, I just checked sears.com and found that they are still selling it for $380 as a pre-order. I suspect there may be some mis-communication going on somewhere. Don't know if it's with Sears, or with cnet, but obviously one of them is wrong.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
Well it won't even let you preorder. I wanted to try to lock in that price if that is what they are trying to sell it for. Cause they can't back out of the sell if it was posted wrong.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
Sears.com are some idiots, now they no longer have the View Pad listed on their website. I knew it was too good to be true.

Idiots

Chucant

Oct 11, 2010
That is correct. i tired a few times to pre-order but could not. It eventually said the they were out of the item. I called to place the order by phone and the lady said the item will be available on 11/02/2010...so I should call at that time. If he 10" is selling in London for 499 pounds, it will definitely be nothing less than $799.90 here...I don't want to speculate...but I was hoping to cash in on the $380 for the 10". Well I will try tomorrow.

cmhdiamond

Oct 19, 2010
More info:
Found this post over at slatedroid: viewsonic 10 g-tablet at Sears
Apparently the one they were selling for $379 is a g-series tablet, with Android only, not dual-boot. Still looks like it's not a bad deal if you can find one in the local store, but not available on their website anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.