Viewsonic Viewpad 10s

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Marcos and Shayind,
Thanks for your replies. As I said i am travelling right now and will try your advise when I am home Sunday.

I hope I can get it to work again as I carried it all ovr the US for nothing now:)

Thanks again,
peter

RicVilla

May 30, 2011
Hi Shayind,

Recently I bought a viewpad 10s which has installed android 2.2 in it. Currently I'm struggling big time trying to install gingerbread. In order to do that I tried by all means to follow the process described in different posts.
1- Activate USB debug option in the tablet.
2- Switch off tablet
3- Connect tablet to laptop (I have XP professional) using usb male2male cable.
4- Push back button for 1sec then push power for another sec then release power after another sec and release back button after 1 sec.
5- At this point I manage to see in the device manager under the USB controllers section an APX device with a question mark (asking to install a driver).

Before this I downloaded the Android SDK so I got the usb_driver and I inserted the lines:
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
in the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections.

6- I follow the option to install the driver by myself as per the procedure but the only component that the system displays when I choose the android_winusb.inf file is "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices".

I got also the USBDeview tool in order to follow the process as in android.modaco (What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64).... - Android @ MoDaCo) and uninstall the driver and reinstall it again. But unfortunately I always get to the same point.

The other thing is that the laptop doesn't recognize the tablet if it is switched on (is this normal?).

I tried also to check with the ADB tool to list the device but nothing :( I just got:
"
C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb kill-server
* server not running *

C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>
"

Would you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

I really like to upgrade to gingerbread, but this is getting really frustrating o_O

Thanks,
Ricardo

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Hi Shayind,

Recently I bought a viewpad 10s which has installed android 2.2 in it. Currently I'm struggling big time trying to install gingerbread. In order to do that I tried by all means to follow the process described in different posts.
1- Activate USB debug option in the tablet.
2- Switch off tablet
3- Connect tablet to laptop (I have XP professional) using usb male2male cable.
4- Push back button for 1sec then push power for another sec then release power after another sec and release back button after 1 sec.
5- At this point I manage to see in the device manager under the USB controllers section an APX device with a question mark (asking to install a driver).

Before this I downloaded the Android SDK so I got the usb_driver and I inserted the lines:
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
in the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections.

6- I follow the option to install the driver by myself as per the procedure but the only component that the system displays when I choose the android_winusb.inf file is "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices".

I got also the USBDeview tool in order to follow the process as in android.modaco (What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64).... - Android @ MoDaCo) and uninstall the driver and reinstall it again. But unfortunately I always get to the same point.

The other thing is that the laptop doesn't recognize the tablet if it is switched on (is this normal?).

I tried also to check with the ADB tool to list the device but nothing :( I just got:
"
C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb kill-server
* server not running *

C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\Temp\viewpad\android-sdk_r11-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>
"

Would you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

I really like to upgrade to gingerbread, but this is getting really frustrating o_O

Thanks,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

1) You were right doing steps 1 to 6 in your post, and "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices" is the driver you need to install. This is important in case you brick your 10s, then you can always reinstall stock ROM.
2) Your laptop will not recognize 10s wether turned on or off unless you follow steps 1-5 for NVIDIA boot recovery driver. I am not able to use ADB using viewsonic stock rom on 10s. ADB works using advent vega stock rom or corvusvega rom. They are available in posts above.
3) For ADB, you should install 'AdbWireless' apk and root your device with z4root, and your 10s will be recognized by ADB. This will allow you to install clockwork recovery img as per post54 above
4) You should install the new ROM zip file on your sd card and follow procedure in post 111 above to use clockwork recovery to install the ROM from zip
5) Remember to wipe cache partition, dalvik cache and data before installing the rom

You can install ROMs in zip files using above steps (clockwork recovery). I have never installed gingerbread rom. Why not try the new Honeycomb rom (Vegacomb)? Full installation zip file is available here:

[ROM] VegaComb BETA 1.5.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain!!

Regards

Shayind

Last edited:

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Hi Peter
Try procedure in post 62. It always work for me whenever i brick my tablet. I use 32bit computer most of the time.

Regards

Shayind

&(*&%(*(*!!!! geez, I spent nights and noghs on this thing. Finally got it in recovery mode by accidentally holding the volume down+back+power button for 2 seconds. Why is mine different from anybody else's???

I got it back to his original state and will put vega 1.5 on it tomorrow. I at least now know how to get to recovery mode.

Thanks for the help anyways!

Peter

jojo04

Jun 2, 2011
Can any of these custom roms allow transferring of file to the pc using USB cable?
I have being struggling on how to get this to work on my newly bought 10s with official firmware 1.10

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Can any of these custom roms allow transferring of file to the pc using USB cable?
I have being struggling on how to get this to work on my newly bought 10s with official firmware 1.10

Yes
CorvusVega rom and VegaComb rom.

Shayind

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
I have the Viewpad 10s as well and had no problems with the official firmware 1.10 and USB connection. The stock ROM is in USB slave mode by default.
Are you sure the USB drivers on your PC have installed correct? And did you put the tablet into USB mass storage mode after connecting?

jojo04

Jun 2, 2011
I have the Viewpad 10s as well and had no problems with the official firmware 1.10 and USB connection. The stock ROM is in USB slave mode by default.
Are you sure the USB drivers on your PC have installed correct? And did you put the tablet into USB mass storage mode after connecting?

can you teach me how to find out if the stock ROM is in USB slave mode and how to set it back to default mode?
the only USB driver I have installed is the one from official website
but it is only for rebooting
cannot be use for transferring of file
is that the driver you are talking about?
sorry i am new to tablet
a lot of thing I don't understand

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Ok guys,
Got Vegacomb 1.5 working. It has cost me a couple of nights, but it is up and running. I have tried all kinds of different things, followed every manual out on the web to install the rom, but kept having a problem with ADB driver. Untill I just tried through software updater in Android OS and it automatically installed Vegacomb 1.5 from my sd card. Wish I had done that last Wedenesday, would have saved me a couple of nights. Anybody out here that knows why it is so simple yet people are making it look so difficult?

Peter

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
"Software Updater" is only available in the stock ROM. So people that are coming from custom ROM's cannot use it.

Ok guys,
Got Vegacomb 1.5 working. It has cost me a couple of nights, but it is up and running. I have tried all kinds of different things, followed every manual out on the web to install the rom, but kept having a problem with ADB driver. Untill I just tried through software updater in Android OS and it automatically installed Vegacomb 1.5 from my sd card. Wish I had done that last Wedenesday, would have saved me a couple of nights. Anybody out here that knows why it is so simple yet people are making it look so difficult?

Peter

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Ok guys,

Peter

Beegee_tokyo, you beat me to it. Thanks.

Hi Peter

Vegacomb doesn't have 'software updater'. How do you update this rom or install another custom rom? Luckily, vegacomb has integrated clockwork recovery. You need to sort out your ADB problem or try ''adbwireless'' apk. Newbe5 (vegacomb) did not suggest full rom installation via 'software update'.

Shayind

pemba76

Jun 7, 2011
I am a new member here.
Just got myself a Viewtab 10s and thought of installing a custom rom.
I installed Z4root1.3.0 successfully and also did a 'temporary root' and installed Rom Manager (from Android Market) without problem. I then launched ROM Manager and tapped 'Reboot into Recovery' and it happened quite smoothly.
I also did backup of my Viewpad from the recovery mode and its was successful and i have a folder 'clockworkmod' and in this folder is a folder 'backup' and inside this folder is another folder '2011-06-06.14.11.17' and this has the files named android_secure.img, boot.img, cache.img, data.img, recovery.img, system.img and nandroid.md5.
I wanted to try to Boot into Recovery directly using the Power and Back button (before installing a custom rom) and the problem started. I had read that the device has to be rooted to get into Recovery and so i did a permanent root using Z4root1.3.0 and switched off the Pad. I then tried to use the BACK and POWER button combination to Boot into Rocovery and since then the Pad shows white screen. I have tried to start it normally (only POWER button), it goes to white screen. I have tried all possible button combination (BACK POWER VOLUME) but it does not Boot To Recovery.
I have successfully connected the Pad to by PC (Windows 7). It show as 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices' under USB Controller under Device Manager.
How do i proceed to get the Pad to start normally or Boot to Recovery.

Please guide

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Unfortunately there is no key combination to boot the Viewpad into recovery mode. This can be done only by ROM Manager or a similar program.

To boot your tablet normal, try the following:
Press you power button very long (30 seconds to 1 minute). Sometimes the tablet seems not to shut down correct (special from recovery modes). The long press usually makes sure your tablet is really off.
Then try to switch on the tablet again by only pressing the power button for 2 or more seconds.

Let us know if you can restart the tablet this way.

The tablet has 2 different recovery modes.
NVidia Flash Recovery is to flash original stock ROMs. This recovery cannot be overwritten or destroyed (at least nobody succeeded to do so yet). You enter this mode by pressing and holding back button, then after 2 seconds press power button in addition, hold power button for 2 seconds then release it, keep back button pressed for another 2 seconds before releasing. In this mode, the screen stays complete black.

ClockWorkMod recovery is what you might now from other Android phones. This is to backup/restore/flash/wipe/... I see that you know this already. And I repeat here, different to other Android devices, on the Viewpad you cannot enter CWM by a key combination, you need an application like ROM Manger or Recovery (from Modaco forum) to enter CWM recovery.

I am a new member here.
Just got myself a Viewtab 10s and thought of installing a custom rom.
I installed Z4root1.3.0 successfully and also did a 'temporary root' and installed Rom Manager (from Android Market) without problem. I then launched ROM Manager and tapped 'Reboot into Recovery' and it happened quite smoothly.
I also did backup of my Viewpad from the recovery mode and its was successful and i have a folder 'clockworkmod' and in this folder is a folder 'backup' and inside this folder is another folder '2011-06-06.14.11.17' and this has the files named android_secure.img, boot.img, cache.img, data.img, recovery.img, system.img and nandroid.md5.
I wanted to try to Boot into Recovery directly using the Power and Back button (before installing a custom rom) and the problem started. I had read that the device has to be rooted to get into Recovery and so i did a permanent root using Z4root1.3.0 and switched off the Pad. I then tried to use the BACK and POWER button combination to Boot into Rocovery and since then the Pad shows white screen. I have tried to start it normally (only POWER button), it goes to white screen. I have tried all possible button combination (BACK POWER VOLUME) but it does not Boot To Recovery.
I have successfully connected the Pad to by PC (Windows 7). It show as 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices' under USB Controller under Device Manager.
How do i proceed to get the Pad to start normally or Boot to Recovery.

Please guide

Last edited:

pemba76

Jun 7, 2011
thanks beegee,
well i tried the 30 seconds trick but it did not help.
since i was able to connect to NVidia Flash Recovery, so i finally flashed the original stock ROMs and got the table booted. now my tablet is booted and running.
i would like clarify few doubts on installing custom rom.
How is a custom rom installed. I have downloaded cm_vega_full_teamdesire-20110531-1412.zip but i dont see any exe file in the zipped file, all i see is a boot.img file and 2 other folders. How do i install/flash this ? Do i need to use the ROM Manager to boot into ClockWorkMod recovery for this ? Cant this be done using the NVidia Flash Recovery ?
Can you guide me the steps.

BTW what do you mean by "NVidia Flash Recovery is to flash original stock ROMs. This recovery cannot be overwritten or destroyed."