Vizio not deleting email

caddis789

Jul 14, 2012
I'm trying to figure out this issue for someone. When she uses her tablet to check email and deletes the email, it doesn't get deleted from her Comcast account when she checks on her desktop. I've tried Vizio and they said that they didn't know. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a setting that I'm missing? I've changed the 'delete email from server' setting, but that didn't do it. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Scott

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Are you logging into the mail server as IMAP or POP? I think IMAP keeps the mail on the server and POP doesn't

caddis789

Jul 14, 2012
It's POP for incoming and SMTP for outgoing. I didn't see a way to change those or an IMAP option

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
There is a pop3 syntax command to delete messages when download is complete. If the program she is using does not send that command when download is complete, they will remain on server.

Technically, when a message is downloaded it is marked for deletion; at the end of all messages downloaded, the Quit command is sent to disconnect from mail server where upon all messages delete.

caddis789

Jul 14, 2012
I've tried both the regular mail app that was on the tablet and I got K9 mail app. Can I find/change/add the command you mention? Thanks

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
The command should be part of the mail program. In settings, most programs should have a box to check for deleting messages after successful receipt, likely in the same area as where the mail server adress is input.

It is a basic telnet commands sent to the mail server.

The actual communications to mail server are as follows:
open (mail server address) (port)
user (user name)
pass (password)
List (requests message amount and sizes)
retr #(retrieves message 1,2,3,etc)
dele #(marks message 1,2,3,etc for deletion)
quit (deletes messages from server, then logs off mail server)

In K9 go to Setting> Fetching Mail>When I Delete a message, then change setting to Delete from server. When a message is deleted in program, it should clear it off server.

Last edited: