VLC video player that plays .IFO files?

exmeaguy

Dec 4, 2011
I tried using VLC player (since it works fine on my PC) but I cannot get it to play video files on my A500. It keeps saying it needs a WIFI connection. Are there other players that work?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like this is not supported. Did a query for "ifo files android" and all of the research I came across indicated the files need to be converted to a format compatible for a tablet.

Here is one link for a Xoom: http://droidium.com/how-to-convert-dvd-ifo-to-motorola-xoom-tablet/

In this one they are using Foxreal video converter. I personally use DVD Catalyst which is $10 and has presets for most tablets and phones. Both Foxreal and DVD Catalyst are supporting vendors of this forum and offer support for their products in the SV section.

D

dvdcatalyst

I tried using VLC player (since it works fine on my PC) but I cannot get it to play video files on my A500. It keeps saying it needs a WIFI connection. Are there other players that work?

IFO files are not actually video files. They are sort-of like playlist files for DVDs. Because movie DVDs can not have fany files larger than 1GB (the official DVD standard), movies are split into multiple portions, and the IFO files contain the information a DVD player needs to determine which file to play. They contain the scene information and some other things, but no actual video (or audio) content

The VOB files that are in the same location as your IFO files are the files that actually contain the video (and audio).

I am unaware of any players that would read IFO files in order to play a ripped DVD, but the VOB files should play in apps like Mobo/Rock/Dice/MX Player. If they don't recognize the filetype, you can rename the .vob file extension to .mpg, and it should play then.

It might be easy to be able to copy them over directly, but with DVDs having a filesize of about 4-8GB in size, and an MP4 file created from them being around 1.5GB, it is usually faster to convert the movie and then copy it over than to copy the full dvd rip over.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
If youe "VLC" it needs a WiFi connection, it's probably not the VLC player, but more some VLC remote that needs to talk to a PC with real VLC player on it. Ditch the app. VLC isn't ready for Android yet. There are betas and unofficial versions out there, but no official VLC player. You could try MX Video Player, which plays anything I've thrown at it so far.

Then, about your IFO file. As noted in a previous answer above, this is not a video per se file. MX Video Player might open it, but you will likely have better luck opening one of the actual video files (.VOB) extensions of your ripped DVD. Try opening the VTS_01_0.VOB file to start with. This should lead you to the title screen. Or the VTS_01_1.VOB which probably will take you to the start of the movie.

Gilles