Want to upgrade from Android OS 2.1 to Gingerbread 2.3.

omgrosiel

May 23, 2011
Hey there, I am a complete noob to this and I am trying to read and learn more about it. I lurked the forums for about an hour last night trying to learn what I needed to do to upgrade my Coby Kyros MID 7015. I have no clue what ROM is, root any of that and I read I could destroy mine if I didn't know what I am doing! Can someone point me to a website or a post that will teach me the definitions and explain what I need to do? I read the stickies but then I had more questions the more I read!

Thanks for your time. :)

EDIT: Oh I just realized my Samsung Galaxy Tablet that I also own has Froyo 2.2. I would just be happy with this on my Kyros too!

Last edited:

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
OMG,

At this time, we cannot flash the 7015 to Gingerbread and have everything working. There is a group trying to figure this out now, but it is not ready for us newbies. As far as rooting, it is not as dangerous as it seems. Once rooted, you can install a utility that allows you to backup your configuration (called ClockworkMod), so you can easily go back. At that point, it is simple to change ROM's (basically a ROM is the OS and software of the system). I highly recommend the HoneyComb ROM of Tipsters (it is still based off of 2.1, but runs much better/faster than the OEM version). The threads that I followed to root and install a custom ROM are listed in my post here.

omgrosiel

May 23, 2011
Thanks a lot, Driggs! Exactly what I wanted to know!

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

Apr 28, 2011
driggs pretty much summed it up 4 u. another way to root (which i think is the same) which i used and helpful cuz its a video is this: YouTube - ‪Coby Kyros Android Tablet MID7015 Step by Step [HD]‬‏
I got mine to root successfully yesterday and i love it. I have not installed a custom ROM yet, but if I do it will be tipstir's honeycomb. I heard it is the best and fastest for this tablet. Once u figure out all the terminology used in this forum about the devices, it makes everything easier.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Yes but it's only a GingerBread 2.3 IMG OS not a ROM MOD update. But it's available. I haven't tested it but would be great if there was 7015 that wasn't being used. OEM reports memory and faster tablet along with power issues fixed.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Tipster, can you post a link to the OEM image? Also, to install is it much different than a ROM?

infrared

May 27, 2011
Being a newbie and only marginally techie, have you posted a step by step how to install Honeycomb yet? I can't seem to find the image here either. Also, do I need a 16gb micro-sd to perform this procedure and finally, will this negate the necessity to root the 7015? If these appear to be stupid questions, my apologies.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Process so far:

Imaged
Rooted
Clockwork Recovery V3
Flash 10.3
Netflix
Backup
Removed apps

infrared

May 27, 2011
XXchocolatetouchX. thnx! I downloaded the full package to my PC, still waiting on the kyros to arrive. Do you have to have clockwork installed on the device before running the package or is it included in the full download?
Is the following pretty much everything you need to do? Anything else need to be on the SD card before you begin? I have a feeling it will all be simple as you say but I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and my t's crossed before I begin. Thanks for your help.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. UNZIP FILE
2. COPY UPDATE.ZIP AND Bonus_Pack_2011 TO MICROSD CARD
3. Select Apps
4. Select Quick Boot
5. select recovery
6. Under Recovery
7. Don't wipe any data not required
8. Select apply sdcard/update.zip
9. REBOOT
0. SELECT APPS
A. SELECT DOLPHIN HD
B. SELECT MENU ON KYROS
C. SELECT MORE
D. SCROLL DOWN AND SELECT SETTINGS
E. SELECT ADD-ON MANAGEMENT

BROWSER FASTER
ADBLOCK PLUS
PDF VIEWER

F. SELECT THEMES
G. SELECT BLUE
H. PRESS THE SILVER BACK BUTTON A FEW TIMES TO EXIT OUT

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
Now you can have the Gingerbread 2.3.3 on Coby Kyros 7015 with few easy steps. Now im looking if the root way has change or is the same way. I'll try it today and post news.

earnip

Aug 12, 2013
hi tipstir

i have here a CnM touchpad 11 which runs android 2.1 eclair.
is it possible to change the android version to 2.3 gingerbread.
any help would be great.

thanks
kevin