what are your experiences with the headphone jack?

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I think I might have come across a post on this but can't seem to find it.

The sound from the built in speakers plays well. When I use the headphone jack, the sound of the music is split into the background tracks and the vocal tracks. The vocal tracks are very muffled and the recording just isn't well played thru headphones. Almost like turning off the vocals on a karaoke machine.

Do I have a broken headphone jack or are they all like this? I would like to play thru larger speakers. But will return for a new one if it's only my unit and not a flaw in the design of the sound system. I think I saw that bluetooth headphones are OK in the post that I can't seem to find.

I don't know if this is related, but when I make a recording on evernote and play it back thru the native music player and the built in speakers, It starts to make these very loud clicks when the recording is done. The only way to stop it is to power off. Again, I don't know if this is on all units or just mine.

Skype test call is fine and phone sound is OK.

Any thoughts or confirmation that this is consistent with the hardware?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
sounds more to me like a software issue than hardware. I used my headphones to test and the sound quality and mix was just fine. I also have no problems with my Bluetooth stereo headphones.

Don't know about clicking after recording, haven't tested that.

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
The issue Ive had seems to be related to the fact that the heaphone jack also has a mic input. With some heaphone I get the "out of phase" sound. It has to do with the spacing of the contact points on the headphones metal tip. Notice the heaphones that come with the s7 have 3 black bands on the metal tip that plugs in to accomadate the audio from the mic, but standard headphones have 2 bands on the tip. If the contact points in the jack and bands on the plug dont line up you get this type of audio problem.

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
Hey Buzzman
I use my ear buds all the time for music and video watching and have no issues at all. In fact the sound quality is better than my generic mp3 player. Have you tried the stock ear buds that came with the unit as well as other types of headphones. It could be as Joshua mentioned, an issue with the headphones themselves.

Ives

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I'll switch them up and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems to be only my favorite headphones. Iphone headphones with 3 stripes on jack work great and external speakers with only 2 stripes work great too. Good bye favorite headphones!

Has anyone used note apps that record memos? like Evernote? Curious to know if anyone else is getting those irritating annoying clicks after you play the recording. It's so loud my dogs bark thinking that someone is knocking on the door. Even with the volume turned off. I closed all running programs and that didn't shut them up either. I had to power down. I have had this happen 3 times so it wasn't a fluke.
Just weird....

Last edited:

chuck3d

Dec 7, 2010
I had the clicking problem also. I was on an airplane with a headphone splitter and two pair of head phones watching a movie. It was loud clicking like you said. Just powered off and on again and it went away.

Reece14

Jan 3, 2011
hi there, i have got a pair of logitech speakers with a jack with three black lines on. i was wondering if you can buy the jack (or anything with the same jack on it) as i can only find audio jacks with two black lines.
Reece

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You can find this cheap at Radio Shack here in the States. is there an equivalent there? It is an electronics/hobby shop. I know there is Radio Shack in Edinburgh.

Reece14

Jan 3, 2011
there is only one Radio Shack and that is in Edinburgh as you have already said.
Do do you know what i have to click on to get to the correct thing.
i have just looked at the audio jacks and cannot quite seem to find it on there
thanks for your help
Reece

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
Hi. Newb here. In response to the OP, I had the same clicking problem occasionally. I found that plugging in the headphones automatically launched the music player app and that I only had one file in there: "Facebook Pop." I played "Facebook Pop" and it made that click sound. For some reason, plugging in the headphones caused the music player to loop that file. I don't really care if my Facebook pops, so I just deleted that audio file. Seems to have solved the problem...

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
stephndudb- do you happen to know what that file was called? This hasn't happened since my initial postings, but would like to be prepared to delete the file if necessary. Thanks for pinning it down.

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
I found it with the Music Player app, so I'm not sure which directory it was in. I think it was actually named "Facebook Pop." It wasn't anything I had put on my micro-SD, so it either came pre-installed on the S7 or I somehow downloaded it off the 'net. I deleted it and haven't had the problem since.