What do you use your Nook-color for ? 7 vs 10" for first tablet evaluation?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I'm still kicking tires on my first Tablet. Never having owned an android device - I'm trying to think of all the things that I'd really use - beyond a week or 2 of playing around with various apps to kick the tires.

So for those who have owned the device for a while - what are you frequently using your Nook color to do?

Currently - I'm between a Rooted Nook Color - that I can play around with different ROM's and probably end up with CM7. I could ultimately upgrade this in 6 mo - or a year to a longer term keeper with HDMI / faster hardware and < hopefully netflix capability >

vs

ASUS EEE Transformer / Acer 500 - I was test driving the other day at Retail store. ( This device would be more of a longer term keeper - say 3 years or so - that I'd be more inclined to stick with OEM software - b/c I'm less inclined to tinker with a $400. device I can potentially screw up.

Budgetwise - the Nook Color is a hands down winner - but the 10" size looks like it'd be more useful screen size for multi-use device - and I'm considering investing a little more for Long Term solution.

If I got the NC - I could have a smaller screen reader - and larger screen tablet longer term - for some flexibility for different daily uses. But I'd have to drop coin on 2 devices and be out of pocket another $250 vs just grabbing the 10" tablet and being done with it.

Could you guys list what you use your NC for as a daily user / and if you ever find yourself wanting a 10" vs 7" screen - How often are you wanting the larger screen / and in what applications make you have that thought. - or Conversely - what applications are you totally glad you have the 7" vs 10" screen. I'm having a tough time thinking when the 10" would not be desirable over 7".

Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The price of the Nook is the real kicker in deciding. It is just so hard to beat. I have also found that I like the smaller screen size. I use mine for reading books, magazines, surfing the net, email, games and videos. I also frequently use it in bed and take it with me and have found that a 7" size is just about perfect.

Unless I was litterally using it for word processing or as a second television I don't think there is a need for the larger screen, especially when it makes the device that much heavier. If you do want to use it for business, or heavy typing attached to a keyboard or dock quite frequently then a 10" might make sense.

At first I thought a 10" would be better for a lot of things like video too. After real world use though I realize I just use my computer for computer stuff and my 50" tv for tv stuff and don't really think a 10" would be so good after all. The only rason I would consider a 10" tablet now is if I was using it to completely replace a netbook or laptop (at which point tablets have their limitations anyway) or was using it as a tv (not as a hand held video device for convenience) where I was sitting for long periods watching shows or movies or using it to keep children occupied.

JP

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
For me, the 10" is too in-between.. The iPad, for example, is too big to be portable enough to stick in my jacket pocket, yet it's too small for me to consider it truly useful. For that, I'd want something 15" or so.. But the 7" size of the NC, Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy and now countless others, that's truly a portable device that I can just grab and go. It's the same size as my old planner, so it's perfect for me.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I take my NC with me to work everyday...and is very handy to have around, as my traveling tablet...but I would consider a 10" tablet as my couch tablet...something to keep around the house, surf while watching TV, etc.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i played with ipad for a little bit - i gotta tell you 1 hour of holding it left my arms tired - the nook at 7 inch has definite pros - including portability, lightweight, big enough for reading, browsing watching videos

derelict

Mar 2, 2011
I have not used an Ipad, but I made my decision based on price. I was looking for a < $200 tablet to use while traveling. I always have to carry my laptop, but using a laptop on a plane just sucks... I used to read ebooks on my iphone, but I find that the screen is too small and I hate getting off the plane with a dead phone. So while shopping for a shanzhai pad, I happened upon the nook when it was on sale for $200. From everything I had been looking at (and I have been "window" shopping for a few months) you just can't beat the hardware you get for that price.

So far I have taken it on two international trips and a couple domestic flights and I like the 7" size a lot. Personally I think a 10" pad would be too big for me. I use my nook for light web surfing, some travel and financial apps, a few games, and of course, reading books.... but I have to say, every time I think about the fact that I only spent $200 it makes me smile :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I take my NC with me to work everyday...and is very handy to have around, as my traveling tablet...but I would consider a 10" tablet as my couch tablet...something to keep around the house, surf while watching TV, etc.

i played with ipad for a little bit - i gotta tell you 1 hour of holding it left my arms tired - the nook at 7 inch has definite pros - including portability, lightweight, big enough for reading, browsing watching videos

I have to say that I frequently use the Nook as my "couch" device as well and have watched videos all day on it too. So my previous post wasn't to say that is it good for viedo only in short bursts. No matter the situation the size is convenient. Having also played with iPads they are quickly tiring.

I really did think the 10" would be better as a couch and video device at first but have found that I have changed my mind. Most of the time I am holding the device at half (bent arm) of arms length (8"-12") or less away from my face because that is the way you hold things (try holding your empty hand our straght and see how long you can last) and it makes it easier to reach with my other hand for touching and typing on the screen. At half an arms length 7" is pretty big and looking at 10" is like sitting in the front row of a movie theater.

Of course because of the size and wieght you end up puting the thing in your lap increasing the distance and making use of the larger screen. In this case and for productivity with a dock or keyboard sitting between me and the screen (say 18"+) then 10" starts to make a lot more sense. I guess it is for each person to try and figure out what their actual use of the device is and at what distance that will ultimately lead to a conslusion about the best size.

JP

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I have a NC, a first-gen iPad, and a win7 tablet, the Asus ept121. I rarely use the iPad. The Asus has replaced my desktop, it has a 12-inch screen, a stylus, and is excellent. But I use my NC (cm7) all the time, to check Facebook, play games like angry birds, web surf in general, do email, and watch movies. It's small, light, solid, and the price was right. I use it much more than I thought I would, in fact. I have had it since January and am not bored with it yet. :)

Last edited:

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
The price, the size/weight, and potential functionality (with Root) of the NC won me over; I simply cannot believe that I almost forked out $799 for a Xoom - the NC meets the requirements I had.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I use my nook for everything as well and I would like to use it as a phone too but Im going to wait to change because I'm still in love with my nook. The 7 inches is the perfect size, never wanted one inch bigger....or may be I did....IDONTKNOW!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I don't know about Candlestick, but you just helped me make up my mind. I'll be heading over to B&N tomorrow to pick up a Nook Color. Since this will be my first Android device, I hope you're prepared for all the dumb questions I'll be posting here.

olmanfear

Apr 28, 2011
Hey Spider, I bought my Nook about 2 months ago and really like the capabilities that came with it, Music player, video for MP4 files and of course as a ereader. That was before I rooted it with autonooter 3.0 I am currently in an area without wireless and can not finish downloading all the app's. Once I do I believe it will be a killer portable device for entertainment, still love my Nook. I travel for work all over the world and for productivity I currently have a HP Touchsmart Tm2T that wiegh about 5 lbs will be giving to my wife as I get something alittle more portable. I also plan on getting my wife her own nook, my daughters-in-law will also be getting nook's as soon as I can. It's the best all around device IMHO.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I was talking to one of our IT admins (and fellow Nookhead!) at work yesterday and he told me that they're considering issuing NCs to maintenance people to use with their work order software. It's web-based, and the NC can let them hit it while out on a job.. He needs a durable case design though, something like an Otterbox..

I was thinking something like this might be nice though:

$hdforipad_top_01.jpg

Last edited: