What does the "Running Services" icon mean on my homescreen?

hearrean

Feb 10, 2012
I just purchased a Tablet S for my wife & in getting used to it, somehow we have created (2) icons on the home screen entitled "Running Services." When you tap either one, it takes you to a screen that, on the right hand side, shows a list of several things, some of which say something like 8.6 MB & then below that show a timer that's running. First of all, what is this & second, how do you get rid of them? When I tap one of them, let's say "HWMonitorService," it takes me to a screen that shows a "stop" button, but also says "This service was started by its application. Stopping it may cause the application to fail." Any ideas?

Ken

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Services are generally started by applications that need to sync occasionslly, such as a widget, by an application that is dependent on data from another application, or say a task app that needs to be able to send notifications. This is just a general idea, of course. The screen you say it takes you to is part of the applications tab in settings that shows what is running, how long ago it was started and how much memory it is using. Generally if you stop the service the application it is associated with can no longer communicate and function as intended. The app will often just restart the service or just fail to function. In general it is nothing to worry about. In rare instances of malware you can look there for services that shouldn't be running, but is somewhat unlikely. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

hearrean

Feb 10, 2012
Services are generally started by applications that need to sync occasionslly, such as a widget, by an application that is dependent on data from another application, or say a task app that needs to be able to send notifications. This is just a general idea, of course. The screen you say it takes you to is part of the applications tab in settings that shows what is running, how long ago it was started and how much memory it is using. Generally if you stop the service the application it is associated with can no longer communicate and function as intended. The app will often just restart the service or just fail to function. In general it is nothing to worry about. In rare instances of malware you can look there for services that shouldn't be running, but is somewhat unlikely. Hope this helps.

What about the (2) "Running Services" identical icons on my home screen? Anyway to get rid of those to help keep the home screen from getting cluttered?

Ken

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Just long press on one and drag it to the trash bin that should appear.