What is it, really??

wb8oif

Apr 12, 2011
I have ordered (more out of curiousity) a VIA 8650 tab from ebay.
The description is: 7 inch 8650 tablet Android 2.2 MID with cam WIFI
and under the photo it says E18. What is E18 and who makes it?
Thanks....Bob

wb8oif

Apr 12, 2011
OK, got this today. Packaged very well and fêls solid. Protective film on the entire unit. No markings at all as far as manufacturer or model. Fairly comprehesive user guide and it has WM8650 (7") in the lower right side. That's the closest thing to a medel number I can find.
The screen is really thin and takes alot of getting used to compared to my White PDN.
Here is the info I got from poking around:
Model: generic
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernal version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number: WMT2.1.2_105

It looks like it has Adroid market, but it is not. Some other market lơk alike.
The browser will not work. It starts to open then goes back to the home screen. Loaded Dolphin browser lite and it works fine.
Oh yeah and on the package it came in the return ađress is this company:
Shen zhen Youkeshu Technology co., Ltd

Any ideas on what it really is? What ROM will work, etc...??

VonSpyder

Apr 16, 2011
sounds like you got one of the non-updated WM8650 tablets (also known as E18's and M007's) your running android 1.6 but your device supports android 2.2 if you do the firmware update (available in one of the other threads in this forum ifyou look a bit) the lastest kernel for this tablet i think is 2.6.32 but i could be wrong. Dolphin is an okay browser, Opera is better for raw speed, but I reccomend Skyfire over all of them because of its ability to buffer videos on the web at an acceptable (though not spectacular) level. Unless you have an adroid phone associated with your google account you probably wont get the actual android market to work...but dont fret over that! There are three excellent alternative android markets you can install on your device, just google them and youll find them: Applanet, SlideME MArket, and Amazon App Market (yes THAT amazon) I have all they and they work perfectly! Also if your looking for a good free keyboard I reccomend the better keyboard 8 demo (no customization but it works great) if you want a paid keyboard then i reccomend Perfect Keyboard (as good as the demo Better Keyboard but offers customizing to an extent) The stock youtube app actually works pretty well so I kept that (again skyfire for everything else like blip.tv and such) Ive heard some performance improvements come along with the specialy tinkered with roms, but thats for those people who have gotten them to work...so far I havent seen enough people get it right and report good news on that to merit my trying it so im flying stock right now, but then mine came with android 2.2. if you are going to flash your rom anyway you may as well try one of the tinkered ones first and see how that does for you.

Apr 20, 2011
I just bought one off ebay too (actually 2 of them) but still waiting on them to get here. It is a 7" VIA 8650 and listing says the following...

Processor
VIA8650
GHz
800MHz(High Speed!)
Memory
RAM 256M
FlashMemory
2GB
Speaker
Inbuilt8/2W speakers
Mircophone
Inbuilt
Reset hole
Yes
Sensor
Four Gravity
Touch
Resitive touch screen
Button
Top button
Start up+Voice control
Front Mainbutton
Home button
Screen
Resolution
800*480
size
7inch
Touch screen
mirror effect,
1.3Mega Pixels
network
WiFi
Support IEEE 802.11b/g
In/out put
Audio
3.5mm earphone jack
USB
1*MINI 5PIN USB PORT
DC-IN
DC 9V 1.5A
Card slot
Max TF card to 16GB
OS
OS
Android 2.2 Version ,Flash10.1
Power Supply
Battery
lithium ion battery 3200MAh/7.4V
Adapter
DC 9V 1.5A
Picture
JPG, JPEG, BMP PNG
Audio
MP2MP3WAVAACWMA
Video Format
Supporting 1080P Movie,MPEG1/2/4MJPGH263H264,Except H264 support(720×480),others support(1280×720)

Hot Spot
CPU VIA 8650 800 MHz + DSP 300MHz.
2.OS Google
Android 2.2 (Support Flash 10.1)
3.Memory 256MB/Hard Disk 2GB
4.LCD 7" TFT ( 800x480) touch screen
5.1.3MP Camera
6.WiFi / RJ45/ External 3G
7.G-sensor/
Flash 10.1

Apr 20, 2011
I am going to do a video review about it since I have not seen one for this exact one other than someone just looking at it with music in the background. lol..

I just hope I can do other things on it besides serf the web. Like play games, flash games ect.. Can I put a animated background on it I wonder??

I am new to these and this will be my first one. :)

VonSpyder

Apr 16, 2011
Can you? Im sure there is a way. I havent discovered it yet as far as the stock ROM image. Im sure you can in one of the personalized ROMs for your tablet (I havent seen a satisfactory set of instructions on how to do it yet, add to that how many people brick their tablets by trying, or those who suceed dont mention any specific gains they got by doing it) so live wall paper so far is a bust. Flash games would "work" but they would run so slowly you wouldnt want to try. There are a few good games though (check my reply in dajos thread in this forum for my reccomended games for this tablet)

I would be skeptical about the 1.3 MP camera (its probably a 0.3, but some people do report actually getting a 1.3) It makes anEXCELLENT ebook reader (seriousley evven the cheapest plain ebook reader ive found of any worth is 80 bucks and thats what I paid for my tablet which it eceeds at and does so much more!) also has an office suite (and oddly you can plug in a usb mouse and keyboard and both will work!) For viewing web videos I reccomend using the skyfire browser as it has a built in video player that will enable them to be watched at an acceptable level. (Opera mini is thefastest browser, and dolphin is the most polished and the only one that will play flash based sites like nyan.cat, sadly thats my browser test site i use to see what they can do) I reccomend getting all three browsers. I also reccomend you get applanet, slideME market, and amazon app market as they are excellent sources for great apps. These things arte not lightning fast, but I find mine to be every bit worth the monety I paid for it and it does so much already that Ide feel greedy asking for it to do more (but I will ask anyway muahahaha!)

Hésitant

Aug 3, 2010
Greetings... I have a tablet from China TenQ, with similar specs: model: generic; Android 1.6, kernel 2.6.29, et, etc. and Build WMT 2.0. It is identified as model M-001. It works fairly well, but I keep getting a no phone associated with this account (my gmail account) message when I try to download apps. I also get a message saying there is no Internet connection. Is the problem simply that these machines are obsolete ?

VonSpyder

Apr 16, 2011
the problem is with the android market NOT with your tablet. I suggest using the three alternative market (they have apps that will put them on your tablet just like the regular market is) they are called Applanet, SlideMe Market, and Amazon App Market. They have all the same apps that the regular android market does.

As for your internet, make sure you have WIFI enabled in settings. If it is enabled then check your routers wireless settings and make sure you have th4e access password typed correctly if there is one. let me know if you have any problem with that stuff.

steelio2006

Oct 11, 2011
the problem is with the android market NOT with your tablet. I suggest using the three alternative market (they have apps that will put them on your tablet just like the regular market is) they are called Applanet, SlideMe Market, and Amazon App Market. They have all the same apps that the regular android market does.

As for your internet, make sure you have WIFI enabled in settings. If it is enabled then check your routers wireless settings and make sure you have th4e access password typed correctly if there is one. let me know if you have any problem with that stuff.

hey, i just got mine in the mail. i'm having problems accessing the internet. is it my tablet? i even went out and bought an ethernet cable and tried it with that. and that's not working either. is there anything i can do?

joycebetter

Oct 9, 2011
I have ordered (more out of curiousity) a VIA 8650 tab from ebay.
The description is: 7 inch 8650 tablet Android 2.2 MID with cam WIFI
and under the photo it says E18. What is E18 and who makes it?
Thanks....Bob
E18 is just the model of the tablet you bought. In China, there many factories make this model.

brice88

Dec 8, 2011
I bought 3 of these due to the low price, for gifts. I am trying to set them up with video chat skype to send to relatives, but am having a hard time of it. The ones I received have android 2.2 OS, but I cannot make video calls with the Skype BETA that came installed on it, only chat which is of no help.. noone likes typing on a 7" tablet. I have been exploring options to try and get it to work, but am unable to run the Android appstore as mentioned in this forum, because I cannot link the device. I am trying the Amazon app method now, just got the email from Amazon to install it, but it is hanging on waiting for data connection.. been there for about 15 minutes. Has anyone had any luck with free Skype video calls on a tablet yet?

Oh, and I do have it on the internet, it connected to my WPA2 WiFi connection no problem. It runs a tad slow on some things, but what do you expect for 800MHz processor? My 3 year old daughter loves the Angry Birds.

brice88

Dec 8, 2011
Update: I rebooted the device and the download completed. (3 times to be exact, I had it queued up a couple of times as well). I installed the Amazon App and then logged into my Amazon account and received a disheartening message "Amazon Mobile is incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device."

I tried a few other apps, all incompatible... looks like this might end up making an eReader at best. I will update with any successes.