What Is Special About Samsung Charger?

Norman B

May 20, 2015
what is special about Samsung Galaxy 10 charger ? My tablet Wil not charge properly On other USB Chargers .Is the Voltage higher than usual?
Is the Current greater than 2 amps?
What else could be different ?
Samsung s ay that only their charger is Ok . --.... Why?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The issue here may not be the charger, but the cable. Samsung's cable is designed to be able to transmit power from the charger to the device using all four pins of the cable. More than a few cables out there are really cheaply made, and cannot use all four pins. Thus when the device is put on charge using one of these cheap cables, it can only transmit about half as much power as normal, which doubles your charging time, yet works fine when transmitting data. Then you have the very rare instance of a cable that only utilizes two pins to begin with. Logitech is notorious for using just such a specially made cable to charge their devices.

The point here is if you're not using the original cable, you should be. If you are, then give the voltage and amperage of both chargers. If there is a hertz rating present as well, give that too.

Norman B

May 20, 2015
Thanks for suggestion. I will try original cable with standard 2 amp charger to locate wether the circuitry is in cable or the samsung gal note 10 charger is special
Thanks again

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I own a Galaxy S4. Its charger is near my bed. When I wake up in the morning, after doing the usual stuff I check things on the phone, and then I walk into my "office" room. My PC in there has a powered USB hub attached. With the computer off I can plug the S4 into the hub using a dollar store cable I purchased a few years ago and have the device charging normally, as if it were connected to its original power connector. The dollar store cable is a rarity in that a $1 cable works as well as Samsung's stock cable, but that's not the point of the story.

Since I'm not using the original power supply and am not using the original cable, there cannot be Samsung-specific circuitry in either, and therefore through a process of elimination the only thing left is the device itself. The device kernel can detect whether it's being plugged in to a USB port or whether it's being plugged in to a charger and adjusts the amperage accordingly. In my case, when the PC is off power is still being transmitted to the ports of the powered hub. When I connect the S4 to the hub, it thinks it's on its regular charger and ups the draw to 1450mAh. If I were to power the PC on and then connect the S4 to the hub, it drops the draw to 700mAh. In addition, with the PC on, the two data lines are freed up for use, which is why you can connect a device to the PC, copy files back and forth between PC and device, and still have the device charging.

Norman B

May 20, 2015
thanks for response. So far my Galaxy 10 tablet only charges properly with original charger and I use original lead.( another lead will work but it is of poor quality and the connection is not totally secure) Your description of how your S4 charges from computer when it is off, makes sense ; but it would be very interesting to see if in that state there is a voltage of 1.2v on the data lines which I now think is the required condition that my tablet needs to charge at full rate.
A manufacturer is asking me to review a charger they supply and see if it is ok with the tablet.
in my searching for a solution I have found that powering Galaxy note 10 has been an issue for others as well as myself

Samsung charger hard to decipher mainly in Chinese and very small.> 2amps 5 volt, the same as other chargers I use.

What would be useful would be connecting your S4 directly to a standard 2amp charger (not Samsung) charger and not through a hub as the hub may provide the necessary circuit conditions for charging at full rate

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I can't help you in that regard. All of my devices are older, and have at most, 1 amp of output. My roommate however has a SIII and uses her Dell Venue 8 charger as well as its cable to charge both the phone and tablet, though not at the same time. She has absolutely no issues with charging her phone.

I can tell you that the hub I use must have a circuit that permits charging while the PC isn't on, because it's listed as a feature for that hub.