What use are tablets?

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I use my tablet to help with sky navigation. Google sky map is a great tool for searching the sky, when I want to view certain objects in the heavens with my telescope. It names star formations which helps in viewing space objects....

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
New apps are coming out every day. be patient, and you will soon have what you need. Tablets have advanced exponentially and will continue to advance as time goes on. Android tablets are barely a year old, and apps are coming into existance very rapidly...

vknidhi

Jul 5, 2011
Originally Posted by KiwiNessie
As a health professional my tablet is instant on
How is your tablet "instant on"? Mine takes several minutes to boot. (Ouku MID)

If you want instant on, just leave it on sleep mode. I rarely switch off my Acer Iconia A500. Left on sleep mode overnight, my battery drops only by 2 to 5%. You may get it on instantly.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

FlutteringBy

Jul 5, 2011
I scanned most of my sheet music & loaded them as .jpg files onto my Acer A500.....I can have a sheet of music displayed in seconds.....it saves me from taking along music books or paper files when we play out at a special occasion.....

I also loaded a guitar tuner & other apps that we might need....

Of course that's all in addition to the books, photo's, games & all the other stuff that is "absolutely essential".....:D....

Its the best purchase I ever made!!....:).....

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I use mine mainly as a complete Bible library. I have the Olive Tree Bible app which has hundreds on both free and purchased books on Bible study. So, when I am at church or a Bible study group there is no need to carry tons of books along. This could be true with a lot of different subjects as well. Also, I use it for web search and email. I never use mine for games, music, or video. It's my portable library. And with the Documents-to-Go app I can carry Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point documents which can be created or updated on the fly.

Years back I thought the same as you do about the Palm Pilot. What good is it besides keeping your addresses in it? Then when I finally bought one and started truly using it I found that I couldn't do without one. Which by the way, I still have a Palm and use it at work for quick reference to many things.

stringbob

Oct 24, 2011
I use the A500 for reading magazines, news "papers", general surfing and as a lyrics "book". As a performer, I always carried around various heavy lyrics books for live performances. Now, using Jota Text and Android Teleprompter, lyrics to 300+ songs are at my finger tips. I set a scroll rate for each song and then upload a set at a time and get down to some pickin' & grinnin'. The books stay in the car, just in case the tab takes a dump.

I don't ever use the laptop any more, but the tab hasn't replaced my desktop. It doesn't have the nads to handle multi-track audio recording yet, but one day soon, I'm sure.

beastman

May 8, 2011
I use my tablet more than my computer. Check email, read news, etc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I use mine mainly as a complete Bible library. I have the Olive Tree Bible app which has hundreds on both free and purchased books on Bible study. So, when I am at church or a Bible study group there is no need to carry tons of books along. This could be true with a lot of different subjects as well. Also, I use it for web search and email. I never use mine for games, music, or video. It's my portable library. And with the Documents-to-Go app I can carry Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point documents which can be created or updated on the fly.

Years back I thought the same as you do about the Palm Pilot. What good is it besides keeping your addresses in it? Then when I finally bought one and started truly using it I found that I couldn't do without one. Which by the way, I still have a Palm and use it at work for quick reference to many things.

I thought the same thing with the Palm. Just needed something to clear up all the post-it notes. It soon became more then that and I upgraded 3 times. Too bad HP had to come along and spoil it.

A500 users, what kind of things do you do with your tablet? I almost bought one but ordered a Sony S instead. My wife has the 7" Acer and likes it a lot but everything is foreign to her.

jmv51

Aug 23, 2011
As an educator for special populations, the tablet serves as an easy device to read books, comics, lesson activities for the visually
impaired. You can make the text larger for ease of reading or identifying objects. There is also the "cause and effect" aspect of
lessons presented on the tablet, i.e., identify the square by touching it, and it "bounces' if identified correctly.

As a college student, I can download my textbooks (if available) instead of purchasing that $110 book then lug it around campus
in my backpack. The tablet provides mobility. I can also record professor's lectures, highlight what I need, and download it to my
laptop where I can print it up. Yet, I'm still learning how to use much of it. Haven't quite tapped into my Asus Transformer total
potential (yet).

jmv51

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Reading, light surfing, email (with Kaiten Mail and TouchDown), spreadsheets: time sheet, stock inventory, inventory counting, pricing, vehicle history (one is a bit over 1mb in size with 40 sheets), light writing (DTG) and a few other tasks. I lug it around in a $10 Walmart back pack. I also have a Blueteeth mouse & keyboard.