What's the differences of all these <$99 tablets? I'm a newbie!

davenetman

Aug 8, 2012
Hi folks. I am TOTALLY new to Android, I have zero experience (tablet or phone). I have an iPad 2 which I love, but I wanted to start playing with Android. Wanted to start with an inexpensive tablet. I've seen soooo many available starting as cheap as $65. The problem is, since I don't know what I'm looking at, I can't tell one from another.

I do know that I at least want one with a capacitive (not resistive) touch screen. We did have a Pandigital Novel book reader, and the resistive screen was extremely frustrating. Looking at eBay, I see one that looks interesting for $65 shipped (from Hong Kong). But I don't know if these specs are acceptible or not:

1.5GHz Boxchip A13 cpu (although I also heard they aren't really 1.5GHz) - What is the minimal cpu speed I'd need? Is 1GHz ok?
512MB ram / 4GB storage
7" Capacitive touch screen
Android 4.0 OS (not clear if I can upgrade to 4.0.3, or if not, am I really missing anything?)
Has a camera, not a priority really
SAYS it has 'full access to Google Android Market', but coming from Hong Kong, I'd like to confirm first

If not this one, then are there other ones in the under-$75 price range that have what I want?

Thanks so much!
Dave the newbie

davenetman

Aug 8, 2012
To clarify, I guess I'm not so much looking for the names/models of tablets, I'm mainly looking for what SPECS I need to look for when selecting which one to buy, especially when trying to stay in this price range. For example, as a newbie, I have no idea if 1Ghz is good or bad :)

Also, do tablets from Hong Kong truely have Google Play access?

apple2005

May 29, 2012
You didn't mention, what for you will be using your tablet? If you use for surfing the internet then the above specs are sufficient. But if you use for HD games then it is not.

davenetman

Aug 8, 2012
You didn't mention, what for you will be using your tablet? If you use for surfing the internet then the above specs are sufficient. But if you use for HD games then it is not.

It will mostly be used for web browsing, a book reader, and some non-intense games (Solitaire, Draw Something, etc). Plus watching videos, although HD isn't a priority.

My 2 biggest concerns I guess are a) touch responsiveness (ie tapping without PRESSING), and b) Google Market/Play access.

Considering equal specs, is there really any difference from on tablet to the next?

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
a) make sure its a Capacitive screen not Resistive. Resistive uses the resistance of your finger physically pressing a sheet of plastic with sensors in it. A capacitive screen uses the tiny electrical currents in your body to know when its been pressed, so as long as there is contact it will register the tap.

b) This depends on the tablet, most can be 'forced' to have marketplace/play if needed. Its getting the program installed that seems to be the problem, anyone can have an account.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi Dave, for inexpensive tablet <$99, i would suggest you to have a look at the Ainol Novo 7 Tornado, it have better specs for Only $88.99 shipped, and it's a reputable tablet brand. Good luck! :)

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
To clarify, I guess I'm not so much looking for the names/models of tablets, I'm mainly looking for what SPECS I need to look for when selecting which one to buy, especially when trying to stay in this price range. For example, as a newbie, I have no idea if 1Ghz is good or bad :)

Also, do tablets from Hong Kong truely have Google Play access?

As many others have mentioned here, if you are new to the Android Operating system, I suggest you get a tablet that has 'Google Play' pre-installed. 'Google Play' formelly known as 'Android Market' will give you access to many more updated apps. Many of the cheaper tablets (especially those from eBay sellers from China) come pre-installed withother app stores such as 'GetJar' or 'Ematic App Store' etc. While these do have a lot of apps, 'Google Play' has all the newest apps and the widest selection.

Do not be fooled if the tablet says "Google Certified", that does not mean that 'Google Play' is pre-installed on the tablet. Look for a specific statement that says "Google Play" installed. You can find several tablets for under $99 on Walmart's wed site and the advantage there is you can take it back after two weeks if you do not like it. Examine both the spec and the purchaser comments to ensure you are getting a tablet with 'Google Play' pre-installed.

Having said that I purchased a Ematic 10.1" eGlide Pro II XL (1Ghz multi-core processor) tablet for $159, that had 4Gb storage that did not have 'Google Play' installed, however I knew this in advance and knew how to install the older Android market and wanted a 10.1" tablet. I have had if for almost a week and am very pleased with it. As of last week, Walmart did have a 7" tablet called DoPo (Double Power) T708 for $69, but a quick search tonight does not show it on their website.

Just keep in mind that the cheaper tablets will not be as fast, but for reading and doing simple tasks and games they are great and if you lose one or drop it your are not out $600.

Todd

davenetman

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Another question - How much difference is there between OS 4.0 and 4.0.3? Is it worth paying more for? Is the OS something that the user can upgrade himself?

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
It will automatically upgrade IF a update is released. This can depend on the tablet manufacturer.

there are a few differences, but its not worth paying more for.

You can flash a newer OS if someone has made one (see this section: Android Tablet Hacking)