Which tablet would be good?

shah

Mar 20, 2011
I already own a flytouch 2 and a Flytouch 7". They both are terrible in performance. Flytouch2 is not so bad, but web browsing experience is not good.

So I was looking at dual core tablets. Anybody has any suggestions? Something that won't break my bank. I am considering Viewsonic g-tablet, but I am not too sure. Apparently the stock OS on it is not so good so you have to root it and install some custom ROM before it can be used efficiently. And I am not sure if the custom ROM will be able to make use of both of the processor cores, or I would be wasting the "dual core" feature of it.

Any suggestion will be appreciated?

Thanks.

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
good question. I think (and this is just a personal opinion only) that the ROMs developed for the GTAB all would have multiple cores set during compiliation. from working with linux there's no real disadvantage to compiling the kernel with support for multi-processors even if it's only running a single core and setting this up is just a yes/no type thing in a config file.
what is more important is whether the other processes including apps are threaded and can distribute the work load. Some apps just don't make much sense to thread because everything is done sequentially. others multi-thread well especially games and there are games that have been developed to take advantage of the tegra GPU too.
From personal experience the GTAB handles most things well. The one thing that seems to cause problems for me is TV streaming but I think the app is leaking memory and it is not the fault of the GTAB.

shah

Mar 20, 2011
good question. I think (and this is just a personal opinion only) that the ROMs developed for the GTAB all would have multiple cores set during compiliation. from working with linux there's no real disadvantage to compiling the kernel with support for multi-processors even if it's only running a single core and setting this up is just a yes/no type thing in a config file.
what is more important is whether the other processes including apps are threaded and can distribute the work load. Some apps just don't make much sense to thread because everything is done sequentially. others multi-thread well especially games and there are games that have been developed to take advantage of the tegra GPU too.
From personal experience the GTAB handles most things well. The one thing that seems to cause problems for me is TV streaming but I think the app is leaking memory and it is not the fault of the GTAB.

Thanks for your insight. I would think if the OS scheduler is aware of dual cores, it could load balance the apps to make sure that it utilizes both cores. I understand there can't be multi-threading within an app if it is not already built to do that. It is good to know from a user first hand that it handles the load nicely. At the end of the day that's what matters, not the number of cores :)