Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

djgalvon

May 13, 2011
i have the Iconia tablet w. honeycomb and love it. It's hard to go back to my Kindle now with the clunky operating system and dumb controls; i love to read my Kindle books on the Iconia!
I tried all the other tablets: iPad, Viewsonic G tab and xoom. The ipad was a totally canned experience and the books and music were way expensive!! The Viewsonic G tab is crippled by the idiot softway overlay and I did not want to go to the trouble of rooting and replacing the OS. I'm not sure how it would run honeycomb. and the Xoom was .... just underwhelming - somehow less than the sum of its parts, it felt hard, heavy square (although it is a few grams lighter than the Iconia) and with the card port disabled.... come on Motorola - stop playing around!

I have always had good success with Acer - had two laptops donated to our third world medical work too.

The feel and controls of the Acer are just right and i am finding new uses for it everyday.

but i need a proper case!! any ideas?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
i have the Iconia tablet w. honeycomb and love it. It's hard to go back to my Kindle now with the clunky operating system and dumb controls; i love to read my Kindle books on the Iconia!
I tried all the other tablets: iPad, Viewsonic G tab and xoom. The ipad was a totally canned experience and the books and music were way expensive!! The Viewsonic G tab is crippled by the idiot softway overlay and I did not want to go to the trouble of rooting and replacing the OS. I'm not sure how it would run honeycomb. and the Xoom was .... just underwhelming - somehow less than the sum of its parts, it felt hard, heavy square (although it is a few grams lighter than the Iconia) and with the card port disabled.... come on Motorola - stop playing around!

I have always had good success with Acer - had two laptops donated to our third world medical work too.

The feel and controls of the Acer are just right and i am finding new uses for it everyday.

but i need a proper case!! any ideas?

You're missing a LOT if you don't root that G-tab, trust me. Night and day difference. That said, I love the Iconia for being exactly what it is and it's my tablet of choice. Strangely enough, I miss the flexibility and the ease of functionality of the G-tablet (when rooted with a custom ROM.) Hard to explain until you've used it.

For a case, don't overlook the one made for the Iconia; it's really turned out to be a very good case.

TBone

Nov 19, 2010
Just got my Iconia today, and I think I'm in love. I was one of the many that wanted a TF, but Asus really screwed the pooch on that one. I have NO complaints. I've only played with it for a few hours, but I find it amazing. Of course, I started with a ZT-180, so nearly anything would be leaps and bounds ahead of that!

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
Just got my Iconia today, and I think I'm in love. I was one of the many that wanted a TF, but Asus really screwed the pooch on that one. I have NO complaints. I've only played with it for a few hours, but I find it amazing. Of course, I started with a ZT-180, so nearly anything would be leaps and bounds ahead of that!

Wait till we have 3.1 and many of honeycomb flaws have been polished. That will make a difference, you'll see.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Nathanw101

May 5, 2011
Hi ever
Thanks for all the info you have given me. Also I have had a look at the Acer iconia case on eBay. But the prices I have seen them for are $100us. If anyone finds them for a lower price can you let me know.
Thanks

Lectruck

Apr 23, 2011
Acer Iconia A500 TabletAcer Iconia A500 Tablet

My excitement has faded for the A500. It's still a very nice tablet, but you can get a better screen, most likely much better build quality, and all for 50 clams less if you go with the Asus Transformer, which is what I'm doing. At this point, the only thing the A500 has over the Transformer is the ability to pre-order it.

The A500 also has Gorilla glass!!!! Just like the Transformer.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Acer Iconia A500 TabletAcer Iconia A500 Tablet

The A500 also has Gorilla glass!!!! Just like the Transformer.

I have been seeing "gorilla glass" used a lot in this forum. I dont know what it is, so why is everyone so excited and/or impressed by this? :-S

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Just thought I'd mention that the USB port can be used with an external Hard Drive.

I've been using a 1Terrabyte HDD with some software called USB Mount All, available via the Market.

Root Explorer and ES File Explorer will both allow mounting of the drive formatted to FAT32 or NTFS.

I use it to play movies through a great piece of software called Mobo, also available free on the Market.

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
WiFi probems

Try rebooting both your router and your tablet. Just this weekend I had no end of trouble with a WITS A81G, but my Acer was somehow ok. When I tried my kitchen laptop it wasn't connecting either. A reboot sorted it all out.

Sometimes these things have no rhyme or reason.....

Last edited:

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011
I bought my Iconia Last Friday night and have spent the weekend playing around with it. I still can't get it to connect to my Billion router with WEP (128) Shared Key security, but on open system it connects fine.

From some searching around, I found that there is currently a $100 cashback offer from Acer (til end Oct 2011) that the store I bought it from wasn't advertising - fortunately a competitor did promote it online. Still, I'm not complaining as my local 'Good Guys' had a manager's special on the A500 32g, and I got it for AU$570, and still plan on getting the $100 gift card from Acer as well.

The tricky part about this is.. if you try clicking on just any link for Acer promotions, there is no listing of a current A500 cashback offer, yet using a link I found (from Retravision) it accepted my SNID just fine, and my redemption application has been accepted. Just need to post the barcode, tax invoice and form off in the post today, and (hopefully) should get a giftcard in a couple of months. For those reading this that have also recently bought an A500 - you have to apply within 14 days of purchase.

Brian

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Brian, do you have a hex password? If you haven't tried it, do so now. If that doesn't work try adding a dollar sign to the front before the password.

If no joy, try entering the IP address as a static address. I needed to do this with my tablet.

If the worst happens and you still can't connect, can your router be switched to WEP64, or you could try temporarily turning your security off and try to connect (I'd temporarily disconnect any working machines from the router).