Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
Welcome Iconia forum. I just picked up my Acer an hour ago. So far I love this thing. I was worried that it wasn't going to be much of an improvement over my Nookcolor but it is. I tried honeycomb on the nook but I don't think you can appreciate it on a 7 inch screen. This is awesome.

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
I'm really loving this thing!!! Using Wyse Pcoket Cloud Free (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wyse.pocketcloudfree&feature=search_result) I was able to RDP into my PC at work while at a user's desk working on their PC. I was able to update the helpdesk ticket and pretty much everything I would need to do, I can do via RDP. Love it!!!

However, I will say that I ran into the WiFi range issue some and noticed. I was at the far corner off the building and internet starting being sporadic. However, I was well over 50-60 feet from the router. So no big concern there for me.

Thanks!

Wow just tried this on my Mac and works great. Must have.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I highly recommend not testing this, but I just dropped my table from about 3 ft. Yes, my heart sunk, time stopped and I was terrified. However, everything it A-Okay!!!! Thank goodness!

Now, I hope that doesn't happen to anyone else!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I highly recommend not testing this, but I just dropped my table from about 3 ft. Yes, my heart sunk, time stopped and I was terrified. However, everything it A-Okay!!!! Thank goodness!

Now, I hope that doesn't happen to anyone else!

Time for a case! If you're waiting for the A500 case but need one in the meantime, I highly recommend the Solo case on Amazon: Amazon.com: SOLO Studio Collection iPad and e-Reader Jacket with Zipper, 9.7 Inches, Chestnut, LVL106-3: Electronics (or something like it...) I had it for my G-Tablet but the A500 fits very well.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Have you tried rockplayer? Should work without conversion :)

Hey, it works.. kinda. The hardware mode doesnt work, but the software mode "works". However, the video is really really pixelated and it's stuttering at an incredibly slow speed. Any suggestions?

sheba611

Apr 22, 2011
My A500 arrived from Best Buy today. Set up my accounts and basically learning how it works. Honeycomb is a little different from the 2.X Android I am used to on my Droid X.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
At this time, I like 2.x better. I could make things work with 2.x. I'm hoping Honeycomb gets updated SOON. It's ironic how many people are clamoring for it (simply because it's the latest) and don't realize that it currently is not quite ready for prime time (at least, not for me. I miss the smoothness of 2.2 that I enjoy on my phone.) The A500 itself is beyond fault for me right now. I am really loving it.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
At this time, I like 2.x better. I could make things work with 2.x. I'm hoping Honeycomb gets updated SOON. It's ironic how many people are clamoring for it (simply because it's the latest) and don't realize that it currently is not quite ready for prime time (at least, not for me. I miss the smoothness of 2.2 that I enjoy on my phone.) The A500 itself is beyond fault for me right now. I am really loving it.

Um.. people are excited because it's a user interface that's made for, and succeeds doing so, working on tablets and tablets only. We all know Honeycomb can be buggy and isn't all there yet. Being "all there" is great, but I'd much rather have a UI that makes sense for the device I'm holding, so it doesnt feel like a giant phone.... aka an iPad.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Um.. people are excited because it's a user interface that's made for, and succeeds doing so, working on tablets and tablets only. We all know Honeycomb can be buggy and isn't all there yet. Being "all there" is great, but I'd much rather have a UI that makes sense for the device I'm holding, so it doesnt feel like a giant phone.... aka an iPad.

Well said, and summed up nicely.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
My A500 arrived from Best Buy today. Set up my accounts and basically learning how it works. Honeycomb is a little different from the 2.X Android I am used to on my Droid X.

This video really helped me pick up some of the differences between Froyo/GB and Honeycomb. First time I played with HC I was lost. LOL It is different but the same once you get used to it. Video is for the Xoom but it still shows you the basics of HC.

Last edited by a moderator:

bdubble

Apr 27, 2011
I'm with ceramicsaturn. Better than a giant iPod touch. Jeez, some people are never happy. And honeycomb has been updated once already, its at 3.0.1 right now. Rumor has it that the next update fixes keyboard lag, and touchscreen freezes. My only problem so far is, I WANT MORE OPTIMIZED APPS!!!!!!! Then it is on like donkey Kong. Hero of sparta is awsome on the a500, and released soon are two new games ready for the tegra, big bang racing and a jet ski one to, plus another one too.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Lag and such doesn't bother me. I'm just looking to use some of the apps that I really like. I never thought of 2.2 being a "phone" interface; I was able to do what I wanted on my tablet at the time so I have no problems with it. What I would like out of Honeycomb is the functionality that I have on my phone, which would make the experience seamless. Again, I love the tablet - I would just like the software to get out of the way so that I can use it the way I see fit. That's why I bought a tablet. I didn't need it - I have devices to take care of my heavy computing - but once I used one, I was hooked.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
I'm with ceramicsaturn. Better than a giant iPod touch. Jeez, some people are never happy. And honeycomb has been updated once already, its at 3.0.1 right now. Rumor has it that the next update fixes keyboard lag, and touchscreen freezes. My only problem so far is, I WANT MORE OPTIMIZED APPS!!!!!!! Then it is on like donkey Kong. Hero of sparta is awsome on the a500, and released soon are two new games ready for the tegra, big bang racing and a jet ski one to, plus another one too.

Personally, I love the TegraZone and the possibilities it holds have me really excited. Riptide (that jet ski game you were talking about), T-Racer (wipeout type game), and Galaxy on Fire 2 are perfect examples of what this hardware is capable of, and while games like Let's Golf look good with their higher resolutions, graphically, they will all pale to what's coming soon.

I actually had a pre-order for a Sony NGP (psp2) before I got this. After playing around with Vendetta, while it's not my cup of tea gameplay wise, I've seen that this tablet is more than capable. Any handheld device that can have a game with great graphics, real time online play, and realtime chat, is something I'm very interested in. Plus, the ability to play online with people with the PC version of future TegraZone games (like that dungeon game) is really exciting.

Lastly, Hero of Sparta.. on my tablet it's just a demo, and a low res one at that. I thought this was supposed to come with the full versions of Let's Golf, NFS Shift, and Hero of Sparta. Was I mistaken of is there something wrong with my copy?