Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

fixtech

Apr 27, 2011
Got one . And disappointed . Compared it with galaxy tab. Screen resolution is worst. When you look close it is pixelized. It hangs a lot.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
I also have a demo version of heros as well but it doesnt appear that low res. I think the textures just aren't very large.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Got one . And disappointed . Compared it with galaxy tab. Screen resolution is worst. When you look close it is pixelized. It hangs a lot.

Thanks for that. Your review. It was honest I guess. Though slightly annoying. Because I like to read longer sentences. Most of the time.

Sarcasm aside, you do know that maybe you're supposed to close some programs down, right? If you're getting hanging issues on a powerful tablet like the A500, you probably just have too many apps open. And the screen is gorgeous. Seriously, play with your brightness settings. Auto-brightness doesn't nearly show off it's crispness and contrast as much as full brightness levels do.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
I also have a demo version of heros as well but it doesnt appear that low res. I think the textures just aren't very large.

Good to know it's not just me, then. Yea, it's clear, but the textures are horrible. Certainly not a demo they should have put on a tablet to entice purchases.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
But
The screen density is slightly lower on the Acer compared to the galaxy tab (170ppi vs 149ppi) but the screen resolution on the Acer is higher (1280*800 vs 1024*600). Personally I think 149ppi is just fine and would rather have the desktop-like resolution on the Acer than the smaller display on the samsung tab. The ipad2 Res is 1024*768 and 132ppi although it does have an I PS display.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
So, anyone find out how to make videos not go at half speed and at 2 frames per second? The player is at least playing it (thanks to the help here), but obviously there's a bit of a problem here.

jappetta99

Jan 13, 2011
I bought the Iconia last night and I am returning it today. Coming from a 7" Galaxy Tab, I was excited for the fast speed and larger screen, but what is the point if I can no longer drag and drop video files? I do not want to have to convert every video, make it a larger file size, and even then it doesn't play well. After researching all morning, I am not the only one seeing this and displease.

I hate Apple with a passion from personal experience, but to pull a Steve Job's sounding quote- If I have to convert everything to get it to work on a tablet when the video works fine on any PC or an older, slower tablet, that is a failure.

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
Hey, it works.. kinda. The hardware mode doesnt work, but the software mode "works". However, the video is really really pixelated and it's stuttering at an incredibly slow speed. Any suggestions?

Hardware mode is still not ready for terra, but dont worry, it will be, as all the new honeycomb tablets are using the same chip and it's more than powerful.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
Hardware mode is still not ready for terra, but dont worry, it will be, as all the new honeycomb tablets are using the same chip and it's more than powerful.

Sorry terra = tegra!

Nathanw101

May 5, 2011
Hi everyone.
I am really happy that I have found a forum that I can talk to people about the iconia. I love this small little gadget. It has a great feel compared to the I pad. I had my first scare with it today when the screen froze then a few hours later it was fine. Which is awesome. Also I had a big discussion with my friends about why the a500 is better than the I pad. But I lost because I could not think of anymore reasons. So if you guys could help me out to get back at them it would be great.
Thanks,
Nathanw101

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
I just replaced an original iPad with the A500. What a difference in features.

1) Micro SD card slot
2) HDMI out port
3) USB slot/s Works with thumb drives
4) Front and rear cameras (iPad 2 matches - not original iPad)
5) Flash support - (not for everything, but better than none on iPad)
6) NOT BOUND BY A PROGRAM SUCH AS ITUNES
7) NOT BOUND BY A PROGRAM SUCH AS ITUNES
8) NOT BOUND BY A PROGRAM SUCH AS ITUNES
7) Sorry, I seem to have repeated myself, but I'm sure most will agree that 6,7,& 8 cannot be overstated.

I probably missed some other advantages, but these alone are enough to make me say - I am pleased that I made the switch.

Hamish_BC

May 7, 2011
I've been looking forward to the A500 since I ordered it. Unfortunately the retailer I ordered it from ran out of stock and i'm still waiting :(

I own two acer laptops and never had a problem, especially the build quality with the Ferrari acer one(Very solid).

freakaphex

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah I have an Acer laptop as well and I have had it for like 3 years now and still use it once in awhile never had to do any work or anything to it makes a good laptop for the kids to mess with. Also just picked up the Acer tab as well and love it. Pretty stoked having the new honeycomb as well!!