WIfi

nmcinerney

Oct 14, 2011
Just got the sony tab last week. I am trying to keep the internet connected all the time. I currently have it set to never disconnect the wifi. However every time the screen shuts off it still disconnects. Any advice here?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Haven't had a chance to look closely at the sony, but make sure the power settings are correct too. The screen going to sleep should be different than the other functions or the tablet as a whole.

katiecat

Oct 15, 2011
Wifi automatically disconnects when the screen is off. I don't know if you can change that under Settings, WiFi or Settings, Screen. I remember seeing it as I was troubleshooting my own WiFi problems on the Sony S.

Good luck!

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Have you checked under Wifi disconnect policy? I have mine set to never turn off.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
I dont seem to be having an issue staying connected to WIFI I have it set "not to turn off" and even if my screen times out I am still connected. I would say maybe its some other issue with your WIFI signal?

Aldroid

Oct 8, 2011
Sony has it shut off wifi when screen shuts off to save battery. There is no other way to keep this from happening except to get the app.

ADVANCED WIFI LOCK FREE
Great app. Keeps wifi from turning off when screen turns off.
Uses more power, but paid version has user select timeout feature.
Free version is 20 min default to turn off full version has never turn off feature.

Last edited:

wippet

Nov 7, 2011
Having the same problems, have been in to "wireless & network" settings then "wifi disconnection policy" and checked the "never disconnect" button but it still always disconnects and takes around a minute to re-connect whenever the screen is turned back on! Very annoying!!!

troycava

Nov 8, 2011
I would see how it goes on another wifi network, public, or a friends.... is it wireless n?

wippet

Nov 7, 2011
Yeah I've tried 3 different ones, the home n300 network, hotspot on my iPhone 4 and I tried for half an hour to connect to my brothers Netgear n300 yesterday before giving up. It just wont find/connect to the network, finds it, then loses it, takes a minute to rediscover the network after turmimg th screen off, even though I have the never disconnect option selected autocorrect sucks - sorry thqwts my rant haha

mr_nismo

Oct 31, 2011
same issue here too, and what makes it worse is that gameloft gives u a free trial game to download, but its 350meg, so I have to sit here keeping the screen alive because there is no download resume.
the internet definately isn't off the whole time when the screen sleeps because xometimes when I start back up I have notifications.

have been trying to keep screen alive and it still drops out, so thanks gameloft for the offer but im afraid I cant even download ur free offer

Last edited:

wippet

Nov 7, 2011
oh yeah I forgot about that! Tried a few times to get Nova 2 before giving up. 350mb chews a lot of your storage too - how does 16gb actually turn out to be ~8gb available storage! Got mine cheap so am still happy with it...

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You could just set the screen timeout to never in settings and download the file, then set it back later.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mr_nismo

Oct 31, 2011
It's not just the screen timeout, the wifi can't hold a consistent signal either. Before u blame my network I have 2 iPhones, ps3, 2 laptops with no issues. It can't even keep signal when all my other devices are off. Something is fishy with the tablet's wifi. Haven't trying turning off wireless n though

CheerfulLuke

Oct 24, 2011
Information worth noting, though I have no solutions.

I bought my Sony Tab in early October and it worked like a champ. I never tried to keep the wifi "always on" because that's not what I needed, but it was consistent. After a few week, I noticed some... oddities with the tablet: apps stopped working and couldn't be reinstalled (skyfire), Nova 2 not behaving the same as others users... And finally a pixel went out :-(. The good folks at best buy worked with me and allowed me to exchange it for a new one.

The new tab has this exact issue Mr Nismo describes above. In the middle of a download, on the same network, without the screen turning off, the wifi disconnects... Repeatedly... To the point that I'm not sure I can download Nova 2 back on my tablet.

Not sure what to do. Applications seem better on the new tab... Smoother. But wifi is paramount on a wifi tab...