Wine for Android

Sigord

Aug 8, 2015
As I expect many of you are aware, there are many versions of free Wine Software allowing us to run a variety of Windows programs on such as the MAC PC and many versions of Linux. A search shows there is a version for Wine claiming to run on a Tablet using Android, but as often the case many are full of nerdy instructions such as explaining how to run Windows Videos on Android. That is even though my Asus Google Nexus 7 is quite capable of running all formats of Windows videos.

Can anyone please quote the exact URL link to download a safe version of Wine to work on my Tablet? Google Play do not show any such App.

Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There is no link, because WINE on Android isn't available, yet. It is being worked on however. See here for an update from FOSDEM 2014. As of FOSDEM, WINE was running Solitaire, but it apparently still has a long way to go. At this moment, if you're looking to run Windows apps, you need a Windows tablet, which has me wondering why you purchased an Android tablet to begin with.

Sigord

Aug 8, 2015
Thanks I agree in fact I doubt I will ever use Windows online again once MS refuse to support Win7 and 8.1 any more. I see you can buy a nice Android 10 in laptop for a fraction of the cost of a Windows laptop. But if you look at my site you will see I have developed a number of little Windows software and I like to test how they work with Wine on various Linux. I see the only way to create such programs with Android is to use say C+ etc all way beyond me only using various Basic.

But if anyone ever does see a version of Wine is available perhaps they could post it here, I expect there are many who have a pet Windows program or game they would love to run on an Android. I found simple stand alone Windows programs often work quote well on say a Debian Linux like Ubuntu and Mint using Wine, providing they will run from any folder and do not need to invoke extra files.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If the primary reason you got an Android tablet was because it was inexpensive, then that is the wrong reason to get an Android tablet. In your case, if you have utilities that require Windows, then a Windows device is what you should have purchased. As you've found out, Android is very different from Windows, and a lot of things that you may know in Windows are absolutely useless in Android.

For the time being, WINE on Android is a work in progress, and it may be years before a stable version is released. If you absolutely need the utilities you've written, then Android is not an option.

Postscript: As someone who upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, in my opinion you're missing out. But that's simply my opinion.

Sigord

Aug 8, 2015
My initial reason for only buying a fairly cheap refurbished Android tablet is I have been using Windows for nearly all the time since the first Win 3,1, except for testing my programs converted to run on a Debian Linux such as on Mint. So I was wary of spending a lot on an untried OS. But now I have such a clever little 7 in tablet I would never use Windows on such. My Tablet does all I want it to do, though it cannot accept a SIM card for a phone and there is only one back facing camera. Yet I can run Skype on it and the similar Echolink for Radio HAMS like me.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Microsoft Finally Confirms That Windows 10 Does Not Violate Your Privacy - Thurrott.com

The only personally identifiable information sent to Microsoft's servers is if Cortana is on. I don't have Cortana on and have ensured Microsoft gets the minimum they need. With Android, unless you run a version with App Ops or something similar, such as Cyanogenmod's Privacy Guard, everything gets sent to Google.

I'm willing to give Google some data on me simply because of the useful features in the Google apps. Microsoft? Not so much, but I recognize that it will happen and am fine with that choice.

Sigord

Aug 8, 2015
Such does not bother me either which it why I am happy to use Facebook. But what does annoy me is having to put up with the 4 Gb folder $Windows.~BT massive folder when I have no intention of ever using Windows 10. I am tempted to remove it using a temporary Linux in RAM.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've been telling Galaxy S4 owners not willing to upgrade to Android 5.x that they might as well make the upgrade now, because their next phone will come with at least Android 5.x and possibly Android 6.x installed. I would say the same thing to Windows holdouts, but Linux is an alternative to Windows, if you happen to know about it. :)

For ordinary people, they might as well upgrade and get it over with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading your link, all I can say is, number 2 is bulls#!^.
  1. Telemetry data: True, if you don't shut it off during installation.
  2. WiFi Sharing: True, but it too can be shut off.
  3. Pop-up ads: False. The only ad I've seen was within Solitaire, offering the upgrade pack.
  4. Default Saves to the Cloud: False. Never had a problem with saving to my local hard drive.
  5. Thwart Downloads of Alternative Browsers: Bulls#!^. I downloaded Firefox to my roommate's upgraded Windows 10 PC and installed both with no trouble. I installed Opera on my own device without trouble.
  6. Ignores HOSTS Entries: True, but only in relation to telemetry data.
  7. Scanning for Torrents and Illegal Programs: False. I have uTorrent installed and running without any difficulty.
This "expert" is only spreading FUD. The only item that is unquestionably true is number 6. The others can be defeated simply shutting them off, or only live within a specific app. The rest of the page? The man needs to start wearing a tinfoil hat.