WITS 7" A81-E Tablet

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
I have an opportunity to pick up a WITS A81-E Tablet running Android 2.2
Seems like it's one of the better mid-range tablets out there but I can't find a definitive spec list. I think it has a camera but not sure if it has an accelerometer.
Does anyone already have one of these? Are they as good as it seems?

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Hi! You can find specs for the device at the link in my signature. There is also a newer version Wits A81-G that also has an accelerometer. I will put it in the comparison soon.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Great comparison table. I have a tough choice between the WITS A81-E and the X5A. If only the X5A ran 2.2 it would be an easy choice, but at the moment I'm leaning toward the WITS.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Glad you like the comparison. Like I said, The Withs A81-G (the one with a G-sensor) is not curently there. So if you click the BuyNow link make sure you browse the site for the one with the Gsensor.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
I don't own this tablet so I can't say for sure. As far as I know the first versions did not have an accelerometer but i did hear that the newer models do have one/ To be sure ask someone that owns one of these tablets. They can offer more help. Sorry I can't be of more help.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There are three different A81s. They all look alike so you have to pay attention
A81 - First generation. Came with Windows CE or 2.2 but very buggy Motherboard
A81-E - Second Generation 2.2 and a continued to be improved 2.2 firmware. (No Camera, GSensor or Second full size USB port, or microphone) Interestingly, all of these are prepped on the Motherboard
A81-G - Third Generation- Uses a 2.2 and right now only 2 Firmware changes. (Has G-Sensor and second full size USB) Still no Camera or Microphone.

Hope this helps. I have a second Gen A81 - E and using a community FW on it. I like mine.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
You've been a great help, thanks. I'll try and find a definitive answer from the supplier and post back.
The link you provided to Merimobiles is actually cheaper than the supplier I found and that's for the A81-G (as opposed to the A81-E) and includes express shipping from the US to the UK.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Just thought I'd post an update. I purchased 2 WITSTECH A81E+ last night from Merimobiles. The E+ comes with GSensor as standard and optional GPS. Expecting delivery next week.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The new WITS A81 with G-sensor has issues with it, but if luck would have it WITS will be releasing a fix soon. At least that's what I read from Slatedroid.

WITS has a history of selling prototypes that are not ready. I suggest you refund your money, or at least read up on the disaster before you decide to buy it.

Considering the pricepoint of the Archos 70 and 101, this is not a recommended buy right now if you are in the US.

wilson13

Nov 25, 2010
Just thought I'd post an update. I purchased 2 WITSTECH A81E+ last night from Merimobiles. The E+ comes with GSensor as standard and optional GPS. Expecting delivery next week.

if you are based in the UK you are better off buying from a UK retailer.

i purchased an 10" android tablet from Hong Kong 3 weeks ago and forgot about the 17.5% VAT charge, which i had to pay DHL and HMRC customs before they would deliver it to me.

when it arrived i opened the box and found the screen had crack in it, so its now costing me £35 to send it back and get a replacement, and the supplier has said they will be CHARGING ME a further fee for shipping the replacement back out to me, as they dont take responsibilty for the goods once they despatch it.

as a result its costing me far more than what i would have paid buying it from a UK retailer and a lot of hassle. overall its just not worth it.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
if you are based in the UK you are better off buying from a UK retailer.

i purchased an 10" android tablet from Hong Kong 3 weeks ago and forgot about the 17.5% VAT charge, which i had to pay DHL and HMRC customs before they would deliver it to me.
i would have paid buying it from a UK retailer and a lot of hassle. overall its just not worth it.

Outstanding Point. VAT is something Americans continually forget. Then when you add support costs. It can simply not worth it to buy remote unless you are doing it Face to Face and verify the unit.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, however I've already purchased from Merimobiles.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm starting to get a lit worried now though. I bought 2 for my sons for Christmas, if there's any problems I won't have time to send them back and get replacements in time.